Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back rest for my 07 fat boy

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 PM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Back rest for my 07 fat boy

I just got the backrest setup. I also bought the luggage rack as well. Its pretty easy to install except the part where you have to stuff the wires through the new turn signal stems. That was retarded. Here are some picts of my bike with the detachable backrest setup.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

Its pretty easy to install except the part where you have to stuff the wires through the new turn signal stems. That was retarded.
Retarded ain't the word. Never seen anything so brain dead in my life. A couple of my buds saw it and just laughed.

Damn, those apes look good on your scoot.

drrandall...... it's not a couple hundred, it's like 500. First the plates, then the bolt things to attach them to the bike, then the relocation T/S thing, then the sissy bar, then the pad, then a rack if you wanna top it all off. It's easy to do it yourself (apart from the relocation thing), but if a dealer does it, it's gonna be expensive. Might wanna try getting it online to save 20% on it all.

..... Edit//...... oh, and then there's the locks for the sideplates, the 2 sides are like $60.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 PM
lejj909
Advanced

detachable is the way to go if you want solo backrest gone in sec

Old 06-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

My wife don't like to ride so I just made my own for now. Thinking about Mustang solo and backrest later when I get more mad $$$$$$[8D]pics later when I can resize.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Axeman71
Advanced

Hey Faction95,

What seat do you have?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 AM
loader
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

Hey loader what drag bars do you have on your bike? Still trying to decide between the ape and drag route
Carlini Super sweeps 1.5" thick with 9" pullback-
Right here:

Old 06-24-2007, 02:50 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Axeman71

Hey Faction95,

What seat do you have?
I have a C & C Seat.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks loader. I like those. Can I use the stock wiring?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
scottylj
Cruiser

Just installed mine not long ago. Not too difficult. Get yourself a good set of torx sockets to work with. I can't help you much with price for all the parts as I'm shelling out aussie dollars down here.

I have seen a new backrest which matches the 07 fatty stock seat and it has a wraparound design which would be nice for the lucky passenger - I would have grabbed that one instead of the Med-Low pad which matches the fatboy seats but it wasn't available at the time. I have also noticed that there is now a 14" wide pillion seat available to match the 07 fatty - the stock is 12".

I guess the only thing to consider with regards to the choice seat pad is if you have a luggage system that slips over the backrest pad, this may cause some issues with the fatter looking backrest but I think it would look fantastic because as fatboy owners we know that Fat is Good

I installed the rack as well - instructions are reasonably clear - use loctite when assembling the sissybar/rack/pad assembly - not sure if it spec'd that in the instructions but I think it is worth it. There are 2 neoprene rubber adhesive strips supplied - I used them as instructed and applied them lengthwise on the inside of the sideplate to protect the fender just in case. A nice thought from HD.

With regards to the turn signal relocation kit, I ended up stripping all the black wire shielding off the wires and using heat shrink to prtoect the soldered joints and wires - not the crimps supplied in the kit. The mudguard area gets pretty damp and the wires could do with a little extra protection from moisture and road debris.

Have a look at the small bullet turn signals, if you like them then now is the time to install them while you have the struts off.

I invested in some chrome hardware for the rear fender struts to replace the original plain torx head bolts as the docking kit has nicely finished fasteners and it looks much neater. In my T/S relocation kit I was supplied 2 poxy chrome plated plastic "plugs" to dummy up the holes left by the original turn signal mounting points - I'm keen to hear from anyone who noticed or fixed this problem up. It is only a matter of time for them to fall out as it fitted about as snug as your foot does in a platic bucket. I could have siliconed them both into place I guess!!

Hope this helps.

Scott

Sydney - Australia

Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy,

Do you know the part no. of the new backrest you mentioned?

DeanO

Quick Reply: Back rest for my 07 fat boy