Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail oil cooler kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: softail oil cooler kit

ORIGINAL: Helix

I gotta wonder why ya'll are wanting coolers? I live in the Texas Blast furnace and even in stop and go traffic on 95 degree days mines never went over 225. I do run synthetic oil.Of course you feel its hot, the engines right by your legs what did you expect?You have sort of an aircooler on the Softail with the external Oil tank and Lines. I see all this talk about 07's running hot but Ive seen NO EVIDENCE yet. I know 2 others w/07 softails and nobodys has gotten over 230 . But If buying one will make you feel better thats all that matters.
Good point. I never thought about the advantage softails have over dynas and baggersbecause of the external tank.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

PERSONALLY I'm seriously sceptical of the dealers and factorys insistance (as well as anumber of other peoples) that an oil cooler of any kind isn't a good thing. Granted the oil and the engine can handle moderatly higher temps (225 to 250) for reasonable amounts of time without undue effect.
However the additives in the oil that help it do its job properly can be affected by them and they DO loose their effectiveness as temps and time mount up.
So even if an oil cooler doesn't reduce the temps while the bike is standing still, a good cooler can and willhelp to lower them quicker and with a little luck maintaina lower overrall average levelwhile thebike is moving.
The idea isn't to magicly drop the temps ALL the time. Just lower theaverage temp overthe length of time between oil changes. The lower the overall average the longer the oil and its additives will maintain theiroverall effectiveness. I would rather change the oilwhile its still doing its job properly, not after its been cooked to death and hasn't been doing what you put it in there to dofor whoknows how long.
Remember, air cooled engines use the oil as a significant part of their cooling 'system'. So ANYTHING you can do that will help to cool theoilwill also help cool down the engine.
If my engine gets much hotter than it has been so far (210/225) this summer I WILL be adding an oil cooler. To my way of thinking itscheap insurance, just like changing the oil more often in hotter weather.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put the thundermax digital speedo on my bike and it shows head temp. I was in very bad start/stop traffic jam yesterday and temperature (which is normally about 270) went as high as 368... so I would be curious as to whether an oil cooler would cool it down quicker once I get moving again as it did take a while to come down once I got moving. Also noticed that the clutch felt weird when it got really hot.

DeanO

Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dmac1968

I just put the thundermax digital speedo on my bike and it shows head temp. I was in very bad start/stop traffic jam yesterday and temperature (which is normally about 270) went as high as 368... so I would be curious as to whether an oil cooler would cool it down quicker once I get moving again as it did take a while to come down once I got moving. Also noticed that the clutch felt weird when it got really hot.

DeanO
368? What was the air temp?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only about 17 degrees celcius. Thats head temp, not oil temp.

DeanO

Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

PERSONALLY I'm seriously sceptical of the dealers and factorys insistance (as well as anumber of other peoples) that an oil cooler of any kind isn't a good thing. Granted the oil and the engine can handle moderatly higher temps (225 to 250) for reasonable amounts of time without undue effect.
However the additives in the oil that help it do its job properly can be affected by them and they DO loose their effectiveness as temps and time mount up.
So even if an oil cooler doesn't reduce the temps while the bike is standing still, a good cooler can and willhelp to lower them quicker and with a little luck maintaina lower overrall average levelwhile thebike is moving.
The idea isn't to magicly drop the temps ALL the time. Just lower theaverage temp overthe length of time between oil changes. The lower the overall average the longer the oil and its additives will maintain theiroverall effectiveness. I would rather change the oilwhile its still doing its job properly, not after its been cooked to death and hasn't been doing what you put it in there to dofor whoknows how long.
Remember, air cooled engines use the oil as a significant part of their cooling 'system'. So ANYTHING you can do that will help to cool theoilwill also help cool down the engine.
If my engine gets much hotter than it has been so far (210/225) this summer I WILL be adding an oil cooler. To my way of thinking itscheap insurance, just like changing the oil more often in hotter weather.

[sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-24-2007, 06:41 PM
shingun
Intermediate

Well i think i need to look into an oil cooler then. Took a ride the other day up the PCH and cut off over a canyon road (topanga) into the valley... Once I got there, and into the traffic my oil tmp was at 280 and never went down because i was in traffic. Normaly I run 250 in traffic but i haven't had my 1k service yet and switched to synth.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

You could be running lean which would cause high oil temps. I'm running HD synth and in stop and go traffic 100 degrees outside and my oil dipstick temp guage never got over 250.

Getting an oil cooler won't hurt your bike. If its really thatusefull is debatable. If having an oil cooler will make you feel better about your bike's running condition then get one.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: irishfastback

Anyone have this on their bike, specifically an 07. Just wondering how much does it drop the temp and also, if you have picture of it on your bike that would be great...
Anyone that has any understanding of the inside of an engine will know an oil cooler is gonna help. How much of a temp drop will depend on the type of cooler and the material it is made of.

Synthetic oil has a much higher breakdown temp. It also reduces the friction which takes some of the heat out.

I run a Low Rider in the Memphis area. Temps here get into the 100's. Before I got the cooler I would see 280º+. After the cooler I never see higher that 230º.

I run a billet aluminum. It will radiate heat even at a stop. The way I mounted it the heat release does not come back on it's self. I installed the temp sensor into the cooler oil return line. This way I know what my engine is getting.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wlbowers

That's the best looking oil cooler I've seen. Where is it from?

Quick Reply: softail oil cooler kit