Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Genaric Batwing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Forgiven2007
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genaric Batwing

I have been looking at the Memphis shades Batwing for awhile. I love the look but at $550 its a bit pricy for me at this time. Ebay has some that look like the MS in the pictures but for $100, not counting the mount price, MS $150. Tanks for the help.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Go ahead and buy one of the cheap $100 ones and see if you like the fit after it ships to your house after about a month or two.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:29 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

The only caution I would toss out there ......... is.
IF you plan on painting it to match make sure you get the one you want.
Unless you are a painter or have a buddy that paints it could cost you more than the fairing does (the more expensive one).
Just a thought.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

During the time I was considering a fairing I just happened to stop by a local Dealer just for a walk-through.

They had a used Heritage with the MS Batwing installed.
I wasn't impressed with the look but since I seemed interested the Salesman asked me if I wanted to take the bike for a test ride.

IMO- other than my hands, my Klockwerks Billboard Flare windshield provided me with more protection from the wind than the MS Batwing did.
Not to mention IMO the MS Batwing (or equivalent) certainly doesn't add any beauty to the bike.

At the same time there was another bike there with another aftermarket fairing.
I later found out it was a CVO Road King with a Reckless Fairing.

I wasn't able to ride the Road King but after seeing the Reckless fairing I knew the MS Batwing was out.
About 3 weeks later as I was traveling back to Nebraska from North Carolina I stopped in Maryville TN. and picked up my Reckless Fairing.

I went all the way and got the 4 speaker setup, Infinity stereo with handlebar controls and the 300w amp.
I have absolutely no regrets.

All that being said; if all you're after is added wind protection and don't care so much about quality or looks then perhaps the e-bay fairing is for you.
At least you won't have a ton of money in it.

I certainly wouldn't spend $550 for the MS Batwing unless you are 100% sure that's the way you want to go.
I'd rather spend $150 for the e-bay one just to see if that's works for me, then if it does perhaps spend the extra money for the MS Batwing.

However IMO I think once you put just a "shell like" fairing on you're going to say to yourself "I sure wasted that money".
Then it's going to be another thing sitting in the corner of the garage taking up space.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-18-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:22 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I bought one of the eBay ones an it was rough.....needed tons of sanding to even out the shape an a lot of fitting/tweaking to get the inner an outer to line up. I had wanted one to add a radio to my softail but it was so much work getting the thing to look an fit decent I gave up an sold it on Craigslist. Now if you just want the outer part without using the inner part fitment isn't as much of an issue but you will have to do something to get the windshield to mount since it normally fits between the inner an outer parts.

used ones pop up in the classified section here an on Ebay. I have a MS bullet fairing an I like the fit an thing the quick connect hardware MS uses is a lot better than what HD uses. I also have a MS regular windshield so I may part with the bullet fairing.