Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First softail- EVO vs. Twin Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
Question First softail- EVO vs. Twin Cam?

Hey guys,

I have sold my sportster and am finally looking at the Harley's I have always wanted, softails!

I am slightly torn though on which direction to go here- I am looking mostly at heritage, deluxe and fat boy models and I'm having trouble deciding if I want an evo bike, barring its over 20 years old at this point, or a twin cam bike. All of the bikes I am looking at are about 50,000 miles or less and have all been well maintained. Is there anything that should sway me away from one or the other? A friend who has been building custom Harley's for decades tells me both are great, but he prefers the smooth f.i. Worry free twin cam engines. I am not against having a carb (my 05 sportster was a carb, and a rubber mount engine too), but am just concerned with major fixes for known problems and how costly they can be. I also like a loud bike if that counts for anything when choosing one engine over the other. I am mechanically inclined and do all the work on my rides on my own, so this is purely from a long term financial/headache standpoint lol

any info is appreciated in advance!
thanks!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Worry free Twin cam ,that's a joke right ?

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

the 07 up have hydraulic cam chain adjusters so they are worry free for 50K, if you get a 99-02 TC you can run gear drive cams or upgrade the older oil pump/cam plate to the newer style.

I enjoyed my evo's but I got tired of messing with the choke an stuff...all my riding buddies would glare at me while they sat while my evo warmed up. the weak link on evo's are the lifters should be changed every 30-40 K an the stock cam bearing (but you will want a aftermarket cam anyway).

Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Cant go wrong with either, but dont shy away from a twin cam cause of the jamess russell nonsense. I had a 1999 FLHT (88ci carbed twin cam) that went over 120k miles with no issues, when I finally got bored and decided to do a 95 build. I did check and replace cam tensioners every 25 to 30k miles... didnt cost much and took only a few couple hrs each time.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,206 Likes on 4,410 Posts

Can't go wrong with either... both are great bikes.

I had an '89 Heritage that ran great and gave me no trouble.... I believe I had 60K on it when I sold it...

I currently have three twin cams... while there is truth in the james russell rant, I believe it is way overstated and he seems to have an axe to grind....

My '03 Heritage was my 1st FI bike. I really fell in love with FI. I currently have an '01 twin cam with a carb, and it too runs really well. But let's face it, carbs are a little more finicky than the Harley Delphi FI system, but certainly not a deal stopper

If you decide to go with FI, try to find an '07+ within your price range. It will have the hydraulic cam tensioners (just shy of worry free), and will have a partial closed loop EFI system (with O2 sensors).

Bottom line: EVO, Twin Cam Carb, or Twin cam FI... if you get a good deal on a bike that you really love, you'll be able to work through any issues and enjoy it for years, if the bike has a history of reasonable use and good maintenance.

Enjoy the search....

Last edited by hattitude; 04-11-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
Cant go wrong with either, but dont shy away from a twin cam cause of the jamess russell noni wassense. I had a 1999 FLHT (88ci carbed twin cam) that went over 120k miles with no issues, when I finally got bored and decided to do a 95 build. I did check and replace cam tensioners every 25 to 30k miles... didnt cost much and took only a few couple hrs each time.
I was just wondering what tool you used to get the back shoe off? Or did you just press out the cams?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:20 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Both as has been said are good bikes, I've had both pretty much trouble free. If your going with an Evo I'd check out the spares situation first, although possibly not a problem, you could ask the question on the Evo forum.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:17 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Evo. No question in my mind. Especially for a Softail. My opinion only of course...

The Evo is not rubber mounted. It vibrates. It’s alive. To me the counterbalanced Twin Cam feels flat and dull. Smooth = boring personally. Your taste may vary.

Last edited by Thingfish; 04-12-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

I prefer to do as much work on my bikes as possible so I believe simplicity beats complexity. I am not convinced that complexity is more reliable. There is a limit to what I can do with my newer computerized Softail. The balanced engine is smooth but the suspension not so much, it might as well have the Evo. I figure if smooth is a priority then only a rubbermount will do anyway.

Seems to me a clean older carbed Evo Softail would be a perfect fit for you.

There is a lot to be said for taking care of oneself and not being at the mercy of others.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

If you ever plan on riding long distances at high speeds, do not get the Evo. They vibrate, a lot; it starts to get to you after a couple of hours. The twin cam has better brakes, sealed wheel bearings, a better rear shock, a speedometer that doesn't break, a more powerful engine, and generally feels bigger. No matter what the haters say, the twin cam is the better bike. If you do proper maintenance, they will both be very reliable, however if something does go out, chances are you won't find the parts at your local HD dealership if your an Evo rider. You didn't mention your budget, but I would go 2008 and up if you can. They had all the minor issues worked out by then, and they are really a great, reliable motorcycle.

The following users liked this post:
klf33 (04-18-2018)

Quick Reply: First softail- EVO vs. Twin Cam?