Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First softail- EVO vs. Twin Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by the blob
"Originally Posted by MTBIG G I did check and replace cam tensioners every 25 to 30k miles... didnt cost much and took only a few couple hrs each time."
I was just wondering what tool you used to get the back shoe off? Or did you just press out the cams?

When I did the work on my 01 the cam's came out fairly easy (did not use a "PRESS").
I was going to build a tool but a buddy stopped by (he had done the same job 6 months before, with no press).
If you have some one else do the job for you (IMHO) bend over (for the work that is actually done).

As for EVO or Twin Cam....
They both have pro's N con's, list them out and see what works best for you.
I can say with no uncertainty I miss my EVO (big time).
Is it better for long hour/mile trips probably not.
For local riding and weekend trips there is nothing wrong with the EVO.
I have to say I miss the shake that my rubber mounted tour bikes and my EVO had.
Would it get old after 10-12 hours you decide.

If I run across the right deal, I will have another EVO...

Last edited by GRWHD; 04-12-2018 at 07:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
badcooky (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 04:13 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Worry free Twin cam ,that's a joke right ?

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html
He meant smooth running, no carb fuss. He is a diehard old school Harley guy and loves evos and said I would be good with either engine.
I appreciate the replies guys! I love old school- to me a Harley needs to shake, to be simple and mean. I love carbs- to me they are simple and something I can work with and understand. I like muscle, and the evos seem to be that to me. That said, the TC engines seem to be great engines also, and fuel injection is nice too.

The evo bikes I am looking at are 92-95 bikes with between 40-50,000 miles. I have been doing some searching and it seems like early 90's evos are more prone to case issues? That said, how common are these issues- for me an exhaust and air filter are more then enough for performance. Just wondering if there are years of evo I should stay away from. The TC bikes in my price range are all 2000-2005 bikes, all well maintained also.

wont lie, I am leaning towards the evo for the old school factor and price but I also don't want something I have to work on more then ride.

badcooky (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 05:10 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

After having a twin cam 103, then a M8 114, and also a VROD I have to say EVO would be my pick. The motor just seems better to me. It's not as powerful by a long shot, but it sounds better, doesn't make a bunch of weird top end noise, the throttle response with the carb is crisper, and the bike just feels like it has more soul.

badcooky (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

The Evo is a classic and the other ,who knows.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:19 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

I had A Brand new Evo - Good bike but there were issues, Contrary to many the twin cam is a solid bike, the problem is - it was hyped up as the greatest HD ever......Now where have we heard that statement? the TC`s had problems early on but they were correctible, its just that the MOCO passed the buck & angered people - pretty much what is going to happen on this new platform, give it time & we will see if they get the bugs worked out at their expense or the customers???? time will tell

IMO the 02 TC is the best motor you could have of that era, re-do the cam shoes & you are good for a long time or........ jump up to the 103 - theres a glut of used garage queens for cheap to be had so good luck on your choice, really both are good but Honestly I prefer the Twin Cam - just as some got burnt by the TC I got burnt by the Evo.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,073 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
If you ever plan on riding long distances at high speeds, do not get the Evo. They vibrate, a lot; it starts to get to you after a couple of hours. The twin cam has better brakes, sealed wheel bearings, a better rear shock, a speedometer that doesn't break, a more powerful engine, and generally feels bigger. No matter what the haters say, the twin cam is the better bike. If you do proper maintenance, they will both be very reliable, however if something does go out, chances are you won't find the parts at your local HD dealership if your an Evo rider. You didn't mention your budget, but I would go 2008 and up if you can. They had all the minor issues worked out by then, and they are really a great, reliable motorcycle.
The above post makes a lot of sense. I've ridden a couple of EVO's but never owned one. The vibration was lot more than my TC and I recall wishing I could see what was behind me in the mirrors. With the dealerships limiting the age that they will support models it seems to me having an older bike as a spare makes more sense than having it as your only bike.

I love my 2008 Softail and have no plans to get rid of it. It has been super reliable, plenty of power, and comfortable for riding all day. I'd like a second bike for bopping around town and that one will likely be an EVO or older just to have something different. I'm not that mechanically inclined so my main bike needs to be as reliable as possible. Personally, I've only started started working on my bike as I have always been intimidated by it all. But, I like it and it helps me understand the bike a lot more as I conquer each task. If I had an older second bike I would try to do all of the work on it.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,902 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Worry free Twin cam ,that's a joke right ?

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html
I've owned 3 TCs and never had a single issue.. My WG had 66k on the clock and the shoes were done when I got it at 25k.. That James Russle story is chick little bs.

To answer the question - you cant go wrong either way BUT if your going with that many miles, on an early TC, make sure the shoes are changed. Me, for not much more bread, you can pick up a low mile Evo for under 6k.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

The Evo that's why it was so good ,you could ride at 60, 70 80 miles an hour all day FFS, that's the reason why I went from a Shovel to an Evo because I couldn't keep up with them on my Shovels. Seriously WTF ?
Parts are cheap and it's a classic seriously no contest.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:45 PM
jneub1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just can't beat that carbed EVO sound!

Old 04-16-2018, 07:23 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,174 Likes on 1,799 Posts

My most unreliable Harley was a 2006 Twinkie. (twin cam)

My Shovelhead was more reliable.

My Evo has been incredible for reliability.

I don't get the "can't stand the warmup of carbs" line many people spit out. 99% of Harley owners typically start their bikes up and let them warm up regardless of carb'd or FI. I've never had a group of twinkie owners have to sit around and wait for me.

To me, the allure of Harleys is much like my love for 60's musclecars. Simple, low tech. Easy to work on.

LXT (04-16-2018)

Quick Reply: First softail- EVO vs. Twin Cam?