Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck bolt broke off

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018 | 04:47 PM
Bob Onit
Intermediate
Default Damn it....

Just found a broken rear shock mount bolt on my 03 Softail last night while starting to adjust the suspension. There is nothing left of the bolt sticking out of the boss and it doesn't look like there's any way to drill a straight hole for an EZout or reverse bit because of the frame being in the way.
That bolt is put in with some pretty big torque so I'm thinking it's going to be very stubborn..
Would anybody have any tips on removing this bolt without removing the swing arm?
Guess it could have been worse. If it were the right side I'd need to pull the pipes to get at the broken bolt.

Does anybody know what thread size this bolt is and if it's SAE or Metric ??????

If any of you have had the same misfortune could you kindly pass on any suggestions/solutions for removing whats left of this bolt.
Thanks very much
Bob.

Last edited by Bob Onit; 04-10-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2018 | 06:14 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
Just found a broken rear shock mount bolt on my 03 Softail...
If any of you have had the same misfortune could you kindly pass on any suggestions/solutions for removing whats left of this bolt.

You must have not read this entire thread.
The 4th comment relates to your exact problem.

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I ditched my bike last fall and sheared off one of the shock bolts that bolts into the swing arm so I was kinda in the same boat as you.

If want to to read the whole story here's a link to the thread;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-look-for.html

Here's the part of thread where I had to deal with the broken bolt;

The bitch of everything as expected was the broken shock mount bolt.
It was easy to see that it was next to impossible to get the broken bolt out of the swing arm without taking the swing arm off.

I did some research and by all accounts taking the swing arm off didn't seem to be that difficult so I went for it.
I was able to get the swing arm off in a couple of hours and that was with me taking my time.

Once the swing arm was off I saturated the broken bolt with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight.
BTW, the bolt broke off about an 1/8 of a inch inside the swing arm so I knew I was not going to be able to use a chisel and tap it out.

The next morning I went to Lowes and got an EX-5 easy-out bit/extractor for $7. (EX-5 is what Irwin recommends for a 1/2" bolt)
I started out by drilling a small hole in the broken bolt and then incrementally increased the drill bit size until I got to the size needed for the EX-5 extractor.

During my research of easy-out use was the consistent advice to not be in a hurry and force the drill bits.
If you break off a drill bit, the job just got a lot harder.

I tapped in the extractor and heated up the swing arm mount.
Then SLOWLY started to turn the extractor counterclockwise and to my joy the bolt started to turn out.
A couple of minutes later the bolt was out.

A couple of days later my shock mount bolts arrived.
About 2 hours later the rear end was back together.

Good luck--

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-10-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2018 | 11:14 PM
Bob Onit
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply Blurarven. I read a lot of your thread but missed the part about the shock bolt repair.
Can you give me any tips on removing the swing arm?
Much appreciated.
Bob

Old 04-11-2018 | 08:17 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the quick reply Blurarven. I read a lot of your thread but missed the part about the shock bolt repair.
Can you give me any tips on removing the swing arm?
Much appreciated.
Bob
The hardest part of removing the swing arm is really in removing the rear tire.
Once you have the rear tire off, you disconnect the shocks, remove the swing out to frame bolt and pull out the swing arm.

Once the swing arm is out comes the task of trying to get the broken bolt out.
If I recall I schooled up on "easy out" use by watching you-tube videos.

Once I got the bolt out I simple put everything back together in the opposite way it came off.
Then you install the rear tire and get it all re-aligned.

If you've never pulled and replaced the rear tire you'll need to learn how to align everything but even that's not a big deal once you've done it at least one time.
Get a service manual, it will walk you through everything.

As for some tips; I used probably 6 bits drilling a hole in the center of the bolt going from small to larger so as to incrementally increase the hole size.
I used oil as I was drilling and didn't force the drill bits so as to let them do the work slowly.

About halfway through the drilling process I tried using a "left handed" drill bit.
The theory here is that the bit will bite into the bolt and simply turn the bolt out.

Here's a link to the bits I bought.
https://www.harborfreight.com/left-h...-pc-61686.html

For $10 I figured what the hell it's worth a shot.
It didn't work for me, but I'd try it, it might work for you.

As for using an easy-out to extract the bolt, just take your time.
Pre-soak the bolt overnight with PB Blaster or WD40 and heat the swing arm up when you go to try to get the bolt out.

Also, replace both shock bolts.
If one failed, it's likely the other is weaken as well.

If all this fails, you can take the swing arm to a machine shop and see if they can get it out or they can simply drill out the bolt and then re-tap the socket.
However you'll have to find an oversized shock bolt which might be difficult.

Also, start an online search for a new/used swing arm.
That way you will know where to go if you have to replace the swing arm.
I think I found one on e-bay for around $150.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-11-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2018 | 04:58 PM
Bob Onit
Intermediate

Thanks very much Raven. I've had rear tires off many times. I've owned 2 Panheads, 2 old Sportys and an FXRS and my current Softail.
It just seems that the older I get the more reluctant I am to dive into the more complicated jobs. I have all of the parts to install some Rocker Lockers (gaket kits, locker kit etc) but I'm still a bit hesitant.
I have the service manual in.PDF format so I should be ok. The paint work and chrome on my Softail cost me a fortune so I'm always a bit on the cautious side when it comes to tearing things apart.
One question. Does the final drive belt have to come off the primary pulley to completely remove the swing arm from the bike????
Thanks again for all your help.
I'll let you know how I make out.
Bob.

Old 04-11-2018 | 05:36 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

One question. Does the final drive belt have to come off the primary pulley to completely remove the swing arm from the bike????
No the belt stays on.

The following users liked this post:
Bob Onit (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018 | 06:10 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by matte
Well after a rough weekend of trying to drill that sucker out, we broke through and realized we were way off center and we're going into the threading and body. Thankfully I found a replacement Swing arm online for 135 shipped. Expensive lesson but cheaper than a brand new swingarm are 900 bucks.
Education always has a price, college or otherwise. Lawd knows I've paid some tuition in my time. So much so, that for a while I had a sign in my shop that said "YOU are the enemy".

Old 04-14-2018 | 11:44 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

So Im in the process of putting on the new swingarm and that left spacer is tight af. Any good suggestions to get the 1/8 in to slide in there?

Old 04-14-2018 | 11:52 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

Disregard. Must have had them backwards

Old 04-14-2018 | 12:21 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by matte
So Im in the process of putting on the new swingarm and that left spacer is tight af. Any good suggestions to get the 1/8 in to slide in there?
Just curious; did you try to get the bolt out or just say F#$k it and got a new swing arm?

Quick Reply: Stuck bolt broke off