Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage - 107 or 114 ? Why both? and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Handlebar vibration can be addressed; my Fat Bob's handlebar was way too vibraty for me, it took some Kuryakyn ISO grips with bar end weights to cure that. Now I don't even notice handlebar vibration at all until the revs climb above about 5,000. That's on a Fat Bob, not a Heritage, but I would assume the same kind of fix would result in the same kind of vibration reduction.

The following users liked this post:
alarmdoug (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Current bike 2014 Road King

Wife and I were checking out the 18 Heritage, wondering how much of an upgrade this maybe or possible downgrade or makes no difference.

Think the 18 Heritage is an awesome looking bike.

The 18 Heritage caught my interest at first in magazine reviews, just the same as the 14 Rushmore Road King did back in 14 which was our first Harley.
We absolutely love the Road King and also was a great experience as our first ever Harley.

Well its 2018 and I am starting to get motorcycle A.D.D. and just looking around, thinking the only bike I would consider other then a new Road King is the new Heritage, just love the redesign and look.
What shocked me more is my wife is once again all for a new bike and the Heritage does it for her too.

Questions, truthfully ...

1. We do A LOT of interstate 2 to 3 hours each way day trips, to the beach or the other way to the Smoky mountains, sometimes the mountains for a few days.
Typical speeds are 75 to 85.
Is the new Heritage just as capable as the Road King for this type of riding?
2up, luggage etc. (see photo below!)

We also of course do around town riding, 35 to 55 mph rural roads and suspect we may like the lighter weight of the Heritage.

2. More or less, would we be just as happy with the Heritage?
Looking for comfort, speed and power, just as the Road King gives us.
I suspect the power is way more then the Road King.

How about comfort?
Im 5'11" (175lbs) wife petite 5' and when we first got the RK I tried 5 seats to get the type of comfort we needed. Felt to crunched up at first.
We ride 2 up all the time, our total weight is just under 300 lbs.

I already know the saddlebags on the Heritage are smaller etc.
Just need feedback on the bike vs our 14 RK for those that have bought the new 18 Heritage.

Call us crazy but we just love the look. I thought I would have this RK "forever" hmmmm ... but ... well, we know how that goes, add to that my wifes reaction in the showroom last week and now I know, its up to me, anything can happen between now and next spring if the right deal came along ) maybe

Any feedback would be great, I assume the frame platform for the Heritage will be the same for a number of years now.

OH CRAP, BIGGEST QUESTION, WHY ON EARTH DO I AHVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE 107 AND 114 ???????

I cant help feel if I dont get the 114 I am getting less bike then the 107, yet I currently have a stock 103 Rushmore RK and PERFECTLY happy with the 103 and the RK 103 bike is more heavy.
Do I really need the 114? I honestly almost want the 107 to be honest.
Will the 107 be around as long as the 114?

Ugh... got to get to work, thanks in advance!
in stock form I dont think there is alot of difference in torque and power between the 107 and 114, I found out the same cam is used in both motors.

when you add a stage 3 kit there would be a bigger difference.

if I buy one I am gonna get the 114 and a stage 3 will bring it to a 117

stage 3 kit for both motors have a better cam than the stock one.

there are better aftermarket cams but that would void the warranty.

this video shows what a 107 with stage three is capable of.

Last edited by Hardcase61; 03-21-2018 at 11:53 PM.
alarmdoug (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:58 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
On the Heritage vs the RK, keep in mind that there's about a hundred pounds weight difference. So a Heritage with a 107 is going to feel like a hopped-up drag racer compared to a Road King with the 103. Do you need more than that? If not, why spend more for it? (of course, I went with the 114, and then hopped it up to Stage II, so who am I to say?)
Yes, sort of my thinking and why as far as 107/114 I think paint color would matter more to me. Since I am happy with the stock 103 on the RK

Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I went from the touring platform to the 18 Heritage 114. For touring, I'd probably opt for the Sundowner Tour seat through Harley which offers more padding. The 18 Heritage is a great bike as a touring platform. The bike is very relaxed cruising at 75-85 mph. I've done a stage 1 on mine and with the lighter weight the bike feels genuinely powerful (it felt really good even prior to the Stage 1). Riding in the foothills and mountains, this bike blows my old bike away even though the suspension on my prior ride was heavily modified. As far as the discussion for 107 or the 114, I chose the 114. I wanted ABS which comes standard on the 114. When you weigh the cost of the ABS alone, the 114 was a pretty cheap upgrade. I had 96k miles on my 07 Street Glide. The suspension was modded to improve comfort and handling going to a 13.25 custom valved and springed Ohlin's shock. Yes, the bags are smaller. Making some small adjustments due to that are required. But.... The handling, the performance makes riding this bike an amazing experience which is why I like to ride in the first place.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

My thoughts on the new 2018 Heritages 2018 Heritages

Pros
Performance of the motor
Bikes handling
ABS Brakes
Cruise control

Cons
Tubed tires, Why wouldn't HD use tubeless wire wheels.
150 mm wide rear tire, Again, why would HD put a 180 on?
5 gal tank. Again, why wouldn't HD put a 6 gal on?
Blacked out look. And again, why wouldn't HD have a least one chrome version.
Windshield is too small.

Geoff (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Ride-on sealant in your tube tires should increase your confidence.

I like the new Heritage, I'm thinking of buying one. Just my opinion, but I rode the 114" at my dealer and loved it. I rode the 107" at Daytona and loved it less.

I think when it comes time to sell it, you'd be happier with the big engine. The price difference is approximately $1300, but according to Harley's web site ABS and security are now standard on both models.

If what you do primarily is two up, highway riding, neither version will do as well as a Road King. Again, just my opinion.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:39 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Take the wife down and take test ride on a Heritage with the 114 engine, if it feels good buy it.

Now you & the wife can ride happy for many years.

John

alarmdoug (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 05:55 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DC2009EGUC
I think the new '18 Heritage is a great improvement over the previous models and I did seriously consider as my new M8 ride. Coming from a '14 Limited touring model, I too have had enough with the weigh issues so I set my sights on the new M8 Heritage Softail Classic...

Until I test drove the Heritage for two hours on back roads and freeways at speeds up to 75 - 85mph... With the Heritage first and the return route on the Road King Special...

I enjoyed and immediately felt the lighter weight for the Heritage was it for me until... I got on the freeway, set the cruise control at 75 to 80mph and was shocked how the much or bad the handle bars vibrated to the point that it numbed my right hand...

I then switched ride to the Road King Special and immediately felt night and day difference the handle bar vibration was non-existent and “butter smooth”

And so the rest is history…please do yourself a favor and make sure to test ride the Heritage that you intend to purchase on both back roads and freeways to make sure you can feel the difference compared to your Road King. The Heritage is solid frame mounted, 100% balanced vs the Road King at 75% and rubber mounted…

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide, but It appears that it will be the Heritage, but my advice, test please ride before you sign and commit…
Thanks again for all the comments and what is great about this forum.

Yes, a test ride would be called for and again, best part about this forum is when you get a great bunch of replies like everyone did it helps along the thought process and I think I have my thinking straight...

Would you believe I never test rode a bike that I bought (only owned 3 bikes in my life though)

But it would be called for in this case simply because I do love the RK I am riding, past metric bikes I knew each new bike was a better version of the last and no test ride needed.
Even when I bought the RK, never rode a Harley or RK in my life, bought it on the "fly" while in the Smoky Mountains riding a Vstar 1300, rode to the HD dealer on the last day of vacation, pouring rain, rode out and home on the RK.

Anyway, like you, the new look of the Heritage really grabbed us, the reviews got us too, love the look too and love the idea of about 75lbs less weight.
At the same time, we still love the RK and like I first stated I tend to get bike A.D.D. after a few years with a bike and again, the new look of the Heritage, awesome.

Which brings me to this, since I love the new look of the Heritage so much, I sure as heck should check out the new RK Special as well, but man, I dont know, the new prices on these machines, I feel I am getting priced out of some of these bikes and the RK special is pricey, not that I cant buy it but more of a cost and what am I comfortable spending vs boat, house remodeling etc etc ... )

We do so much 2up interstate (for the foreseeable future) I think our current bike for now is more then good and now, I REALLY want to check out the RK special, never thought I would like any of these blacked out models, but have grown on me. )
Then I can sit back, and if a new one every comes around deeply discounted or very low mileage, whatever, grab it. No rush for now and more shopping to do. )

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-23-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:28 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

alarmdoug,

Sounds like you and I were on the same boat as I am way back when I decided to jump on the M8 bandwagon, as a matter of fact, the '18 Heritage just came out and that model was really my first choice due to the first and foremost, lighter weight and the new mono shock frame system that I envisioned to be perhaps the next future gen touring frame.

But I was sadly disappointed from the test ride results and luckily, HD now allows so much test ride that was unheard years ago…I also did and comparative line by line, pros & cons with the Heritage and RKS, and it basically amounted to “paralysis analysis”…lol.

What finally decided the choice was the test ride…and not just one test ride, I did four test rides from local dealers here where I live, we have four dealers 25 miles radius, and much more in the Los Angeles/Orange county area.

Good luck on the choice and test ride these puppies until you are satisfied that you made the right choice.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

All H-D spoked rims have been tubeless since 2014. They have a sealed liner that has proven effective.

alarmdoug (03-24-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage - 107 or 114 ? Why both? and other questions