Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 fatboy 114 engine bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Oz Gary
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2018 fatboy 114 engine bar

Gday to everyone
Have posted about highway pegs previously without much success. The Mustache Engine Bar with Highway Pegs is starting to grow on me but yet have not taken that step.
Coming from a FATBOB to the FATBOY I have found the comfort level of legs to be a bit challenging. The FATBOB with forward controls was great.
See a couple of members have attached the Mustache Engine Bar which does look OK. Have any of you fitted highway pegs to stretch your legs out. By the way I am 6'2" and after a decent ride my left becomes very sore and I think due to the seating position to the footboard placement. Do not particularly want to get rid of the Footboards as it does define a FATBOY
Just need honest opinions and photos if available
Thanks in advance Gary

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (05-15-2021)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,352 Posts

No answer for you, just another alternative you may not be aware of. BungKing makes a crash bar, more like a crash rod, for the '18 Softails. It's not a big loop of metal, it's a straight rod, which can be used for pegs. I don't know if it'd be suitable for you or not. I ordered one for my '18 Fat Bob, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Here's their product page:
https://www.getlowered.com/bung-king...caAld2EALw_wcB

That one's for the bikes with mid-mount controls. They sent me some pics of what the forward-control bar would look like. I don't know if it'd be as usable for someone with long legs for highway peg purposes.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 03-19-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Oz Gary
Cruiser

Thanks FATBOB2018 I have seen these and pretty much everything else that is available. Probably not what Im after but I do thankyou. Still may look at the HD Mustache Engine Guard

Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 AM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the mustache bar and find it is good for giving your legs another position to rest or stretch out on. I am 6-1. I really have not used it much yet. Maybe this spring/summer when the weather is better and I go on longer rides.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Also 6’1 here,while I found it a bit weird at first when using the guard’s foot rests I kept using them more and more when cruising down long roads. Definitely gave me a different position and rest from the norm.

I still think these softails are definitely more compact than other bikes I had before. I have long arms and legs so I need a large footprint. Will have to change bars soon.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (05-15-2021)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Oz Gary
Cruiser

Have to agree with the last 2 comments about the cockpit area and also being 6'2" find it all a little bit on the compact size, but wouldn't part with the new Softail.
M8 Softails, I have looked at your bike before and really admire how you have added to it. Question for you is how far from the brake pedal is the down tube on the Engine Bar, looking at the bolt on highway peg mounts the style I am after are only offered in 5" chrome from HD.
Mr November 80 you have nailed it on the head as longer rides you need more space to be comfortable, as I live in a rural area, longer rides are what you do
100% I will go with the HD Mustache Engine Guard and Highway Pegs, looking forward to putting miles on the FATBOY
Thanks for all the replies and look forward to hearing all the mods fellow members do along the way

Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Gary
Have to agree with the last 2 comments about the cockpit area and also being 6'2" find it all a little bit on the compact size, but wouldn't part with the new Softail.
M8 Softails, I have looked at your bike before and really admire how you have added to it. Question for you is how far from the brake pedal is the down tube on the Engine Bar, looking at the bolt on highway peg mounts the style I am after are only offered in 5" chrome from HD.
Mr November 80 you have nailed it on the head as longer rides you need more space to be comfortable, as I live in a rural area, longer rides are what you do
100% I will go with the HD Mustache Engine Guard and Highway Pegs, looking forward to putting miles on the FATBOY
Thanks for all the replies and look forward to hearing all the mods fellow members do along the way
From the end of the brake pedal it is about 2 inches from the crash bar downtube...

Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Oz Gary
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by M8_Softails
From the end of the brake pedal it is about 2 inches from the crash bar downtube...
Thanks M8, appreciate you doing that for me. In Oz I am yet to see one in the flesh. In most pictures it looks further away
Love the look, will definitely go this way. Will help my tired old bones