Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softail Handling Differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Esco11
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2018 Softail Handling Differences

So I've been doing some research on the new softails and was wondering if there was much of a difference handling wise between them.

I know the Fat Bob will probably be the best due to the suspension setup but was a lot more interested in the Low Rider or Street Bob for now. I currently have a 2011 Fat Bob and kind of feel like a change of style.

I've also always liked the look of the Fat Boy and Breakout but was never a fan of the old softail ride. With the new rear shock setup I might even consider these too depending on how I feel about price when I end up getting one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get to take some on a test ride at some point but I just don't get a lot of free time right now.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:41 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an 09 Heritage. I absolutely love the ride! My only complaint is the lack of ground clearance as I scrape the floorboards often. As far as the new heritage goes, I will say that the ride is stiffer and there is more clearance for sure. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

There were reviews done where the same guy rode every one of the new Softails and reported their opinions. Most said that the various bikes really rode quite differently, despite being based on the same frame, etc.
Here are some examples:
https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-da...s-they-replace
https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-harl...il-first-rides
https://www.hotbikeweb.com/2018-harl...yna-irrelevant

Old 03-07-2018, 02:28 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

The low rider will be one of the best handling. Why? Well, the mid controls (which not everyone likes) will put your body in a better more aggressive stance. The more narrow tire is also a bit easier to turn in parking lot speed maneuvers and turns. I road them all before purchasing my low rider. The ride quality is pretty darn awesome on all of them. I didn't like the looks of the fat bob, and didn't want wire wheels, so I went w/ the more classic look of the lowrider. It's light weight and very agile. The 18 softails have a better ride than any other bike I have riden, which includes older softails, newer touring bikes, and other brand bikes. I switched from a 17 street glide to the low rider and I have no regrets! The downfall for me on the street bob are the wire wheels. Check out the thread I started on the lowrider owners to check out the mods that you can do. (mainly just the easier ones). It's a great platform and still very sexy!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze24
I have an 09 Heritage. I absolutely love the ride! My only complaint is the lack of ground clearance as I scrape the floorboards often. As far as the new heritage goes, I will say that the ride is stiffer and there is more clearance for sure. Good luck!
2016 Heritage for me, and that's also the only complaint I have. Fortunately, I'm 45, not 17... so I'm not a speed demon, except on the highway where it's straight.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 672 Likes on 300 Posts

My ‘17 Slim is way more nimble (I can turn the bike just by gently turning my hips) than my ‘18 Deluxe.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Esco11
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
There were reviews done where the same guy rode every one of the new Softails and reported their opinions. Most said that the various bikes really rode quite differently, despite being based on the same frame, etc.
Here are some examples:
https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-da...s-they-replace
https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-harl...il-first-rides
https://www.hotbikeweb.com/2018-harl...yna-irrelevant
Those were actually some of the first reviews that I read. Very well written but I was keeping my suspicions up since I feel like everyone talks about how great everything is at first.

Originally Posted by John Kyle
The low rider will be one of the best handling. Why? Well, the mid controls (which not everyone likes) will put your body in a better more aggressive stance. The more narrow tire is also a bit easier to turn in parking lot speed maneuvers and turns. I road them all before purchasing my low rider. The ride quality is pretty darn awesome on all of them. I didn't like the looks of the fat bob, and didn't want wire wheels, so I went w/ the more classic look of the lowrider. It's light weight and very agile. The 18 softails have a better ride than any other bike I have riden, which includes older softails, newer touring bikes, and other brand bikes. I switched from a 17 street glide to the low rider and I have no regrets! The downfall for me on the street bob are the wire wheels. Check out the thread I started on the lowrider owners to check out the mods that you can do. (mainly just the easier ones). It's a great platform and still very sexy!
I favor mid controls quite a bit too. I keep meaning to swap my forwards out but just putting the mid pegs on has gotten me by for now.
I feel the same way about wire wheels, if it wasn't for those I'd probably lean more Street Bob than Low Rider. Only real downsides to me on the Low Rider is the copious amounts of chrome and odd handlebars. Those are a bit more cheap to take care of than a new set of wheels though.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:28 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Go for a test ride man !

Old 03-07-2018, 09:49 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Esco11
Those were actually some of the first reviews that I read. Very well written but I was keeping my suspicions up since I feel like everyone talks about how great everything is at first.

I favor mid controls quite a bit too. I keep meaning to swap my forwards out but just putting the mid pegs on has gotten me by for now.
I feel the same way about wire wheels, if it wasn't for those I'd probably lean more Street Bob than Low Rider. Only real downsides to me on the Low Rider is the copious amounts of chrome and odd handlebars. Those are a bit more cheap to take care of than a new set of wheels though.

I actually wnt to forward controls on mine... I defiantly can den the difference in riding. They look better but I could have saved the money. I actually prefer the chrome, added a lot more to it. The bars on the low rider, to me, are pretty great. I added 3" risers and they work even better now! I may change for a set of heritage style bars one day, but no rush. The price tag on the low rider odds really fast IMO. I did get ABS on mine. I may even upgrade to the sundowner seat, but have done over 200 mile days on it anf mand no conplaints.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

I rode 2018 fat boy and fat bob. They ride better that my 2012 street glide and 2007 night train that has progressive 422's and cartridges in front.

Quick Reply: 2018 Softail Handling Differences