Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 heritage bags waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:35 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2018 heritage bags waterproof?

Have been getting water in the bags especially the left one when washing it. Took it to the dealer and came back saying Harley told them their not waterproof. I did some experimenting and found it's not coming from the lid but when running water over the corner seems, after a short time water is somehow running between the leather and the plastic mold it's on and coming up through the small hole at the bottom of the bag. Talked to dealer and they said they want to see that I'll be taking it up soon to show them and at least document it so if in the future the leather messes up maybe some sort of warranty. Anyone else seeing this or are my bags defective. Thanks

Old 03-06-2018, 09:12 AM
rcpbob
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default waterproof ! Ha !

Hey Aarondeere, same problem here. Left side bag gets water in it under careful washing. Dealer said he'd submit a warranty ticket. But, he said that the bags where rain proof, not washing proof. You said that the water is entering from around the corners (on the lid ?) ? How can H-D claim these bags are waterproof ?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser

No it's not getting under the lid. Open the lid then run a garden hose on one of the corners where there is stitching. No high pressure just a garden hose with a steady stream on the stitching and watch the small hole at the bottom. You see water start coming out I put a video camera in the bag with the lid closed and saw the water didn't come from the top seal around the lid at all but is coming from that area. I wonder how water getting in between the leather and the plastic bag will fare long term.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 388 Likes on 372 Posts

Yep...same experience with my 2018 Heritage left side bag. There are too many places for a leak to start with all the rivets and open leather seams. Long term, the leather will show the wear/rot. Seems to only happen when washing the bike, but not when riding in the rain (my experience and yours may differ). Sorry, but with the design and construction of the bags, it looks like we'll have to live with it. Just make sure you let the bags dry out on the inside after they get wet.

The following users liked this post:
rcpbob (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser

Thanks that makes me feel better. I'll still show it to service next time I'm up there. you would think they put so much time in designing the bike a little more effort could have gone into the bags. overall very happy with the bike other than the bags.

Last edited by aarondeere; 03-06-2018 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rcpbob (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:45 AM
rcpbob
Tourer

Ain't that a shame ? H-D calls these bags waterproof. They must be referring to the plastic under the leather.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Since when have leather bags ever been "waterproof"??

Old 03-06-2018, 05:14 PM
rcpbob
Tourer

Since the 2018's came out. They are really plastic made inners with a leather cover. Harley claims in their description of the "new" Heritage that it now comes with "waterproof" saddle bags.

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Since when have leather bags ever been "waterproof"??

Old 03-07-2018, 02:38 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

No water on the bags from riding in heavy rain. I don’t use a hose when washing so I haven’t run into the same issue.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:16 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

What about sealing the seams?
Would that fix the problem?

Quick Reply: 2018 heritage bags waterproof?