Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 heritage bags waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 388 Likes on 372 Posts

I took a look at how the leather is attached to the plastic saddlebag on my 2018 Heritage and the seams are not glued to the plastic. They appear to be mainly riveted through metal brackets to hold the leather to the bag. The corners of the leather are NOT glued to the plastic bag. This allows the water to enter the space between the plastic and the leather which then gravitates to the bottom of the bag by way of the small hole the factory placed at the bottom of the plastic bag. While at the dealer, I told the service manager about this issue. So, she had the prep guy wash a new Heritage and we saw the water move past the leather at the corner seam and through the hole at the bottom of the left bag. We ended up with about 2 inches of water in the bag. Since the bike leans to the left, that bag is the one to get the water. So...not sure Harley will address this or not, but I plan to plug the hole. I also believe placing a drain hole in the leather will allow any excess water to drain out of the leather and also reduce the chance of that area mildewing in the future. If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember that is how my wife's 2007 Road King Custom leather wrapped bags were fabricated at the factory.

Any other thoughts?

The following 2 users liked this post by Northernproducer:
FM500 (11-12-2020), rcpbob (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 PM
rcpbob
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the research, Northernproducer. I with you on your findings. Seems like there should be some kind of drain. I'm thinking that's what the hole in the bottom of the plastic is. Just need to figure where one on the outside bottom of leather should be.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:43 PM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I would be careful about cutting a drain hole in the leather. I proposed the same thing to my dealer about plugging the plastic hole and cutting the leather for a drain and of course their reply was if I did that they could void the warranty on the bag. Recommended showing them and documenting instead

Old 03-09-2018, 08:33 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I haven't noticed when I've washed it and we haven't had much rain this winter. I do notice how the locks fill up with water though, that's a bad design.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:41 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,796 Likes on 677 Posts

Is there already a solution to this problem by HD?

Old 12-14-2019, 10:52 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Since when have leather bags ever been "waterproof"??
My Heritages 02 & now 2015 - I have never had water inside those bags (OEM leather bags) Ive been in many a severe rain storm lasting longer than I wanted it too & my contents were always dry, Watch I just jinxed myself - next storm Ill have a swimming pool in them, LOL

I just use a Lexol conditioner/Cleaner & then HD leather care that says water repellant properties - it seems waterproof to me... that is the one main thing on the new Heritages that caused me not to buy one - those cheesy, crappy saddle bags, they could of did much better in storage volume & lock placement. if & when they do that - I just might consider one...……….eh, on second thought I have my 15 set up pretty nice but who knows?

Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernproducer
I took a look at how the leather is attached to the plastic saddlebag on my 2018 Heritage and the seams are not glued to the plastic. They appear to be mainly riveted through metal brackets to hold the leather to the bag. The corners of the leather are NOT glued to the plastic bag. This allows the water to enter the space between the plastic and the leather which then gravitates to the bottom of the bag by way of the small hole the factory placed at the bottom of the plastic bag. While at the dealer, I told the service manager about this issue. So, she had the prep guy wash a new Heritage and we saw the water move past the leather at the corner seam and through the hole at the bottom of the left bag. We ended up with about 2 inches of water in the bag. Since the bike leans to the left, that bag is the one to get the water. So...not sure Harley will address this or not, but I plan to plug the hole. I also believe placing a drain hole in the leather will allow any excess water to drain out of the leather and also reduce the chance of that area mildewing in the future. If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember that is how my wife's 2007 Road King Custom leather wrapped bags were fabricated at the factory.

Any other thoughts?
Can you post picture of this area where bag is leaking and hole you plan to plug? And let us know if that worked?