Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn Detachable Armrests

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018 | 03:07 PM
LXT
|
Road Master
Default Kuryakyn Detachable Armrests

Any one have these or know someone using them? I have looked all over to try & find out how they mount & I came across one youtube vid but it didn't really go in depth.

I was going to try to fit these to the tour trunk on my heritage, its the leather wrapped hard trunk from Viking, Ive checked out a few different brands but the kuryakyn`s looked like they might work???? No doubt a lil modification will be needed, just wanting to know if they attach to the trunk or do they attach under the trunk to the tour rack?

Appreciate the help guys, Thanks in advance!

Old 02-26-2018 | 04:37 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I've looked into different ways to add arm rest that are not only functional but look right.
I have not be able to find a solution yet so if this works out for you be sure to post a review.

Old 02-27-2018 | 06:04 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I think it has armrests and windows that roll up it's all your missing.

Old 02-27-2018 | 07:00 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
I think it has armrests and windows that roll up it's all your missing.

Don't be too critical, there are many reasons people need/want armrest.

Sure one reason is for comfort, that's why touring setups have them.
Another reason could be a passenger lost an arm in a lawn mowing accident and her prosthetic arm is somewhat heavy.
After a couple of hours of riding her shoulder starts to hurt so she needs something to rest it on.

BTW- the reason I'm interested is comfort; my Wife never mows the lawn.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-27-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2018 | 01:37 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LXT
... I have looked all over to try & find out how they mount... just wanting to know if they attach to the trunk or do they attach under the trunk to the tour rack?...
You didn't provide a Kuryakyn part number so I did a Google search and found these. There was a link to the mounting instructions on the Kuryakyn webpage for the part.

I have attached them for you.

Attached Files
Old 02-27-2018 | 05:36 PM
LXT
|
Road Master

Bone doc, Yeah I saw the PDF on line - its basically showing install for tour bikes & I was wanting to see how the parts looked, no doubt I will have to modify them for install on to the Heritage tour trunk & rack mount - Maybe?

What I wanted to see was does the hardware install directly to the trunk - can it install directly to the trunk? or does it install to the rack mount or other mounting points? I was going to just buy it....But at over $300 that's a pricey item to purchase if I cant modify it to work?

Appreciate the replies, Thanks

Old 07-30-2018 | 04:03 PM
LXT
|
Road Master
The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (02-18-2021)
Old 07-30-2018 | 04:27 PM
LXT
|
Road Master

Well, finally found the armrest solution - actually had to make it, I listed the kit just in case anyone was interested....BTW - this Kit is a discontinued item & I got it off my dealer for a very good price, I eyeballed it at the dealership for fitment & sure enough when I got home it wasn't even close, so time for fab work!

I have the detachable rack mount so off came the tour trunk & I mocked up what I needed which was time consuming as I had to put it together, have wife sit on bike, move armrests forward, move em up, move em down....etc. I basically just needed the armrest bar attachment point & from there I used a chunk of beefy (insert tim allen grunt) 1/2 inch plate to fill the void on the HD detachable luggage rack, once all was mocked up - I welded the armrest bar to the 1/2 inch plate (3x71/4 a lil wiggle room), from there I got a thin 1/8 plate & drilled it out to match the luggage rack bolt holes, the center holes to mount the 1/2 inch with armrest attachment point took a little doing - but once on the drill press & centered it went pretty good. its hard to see the holes in the 1/2 plate which I used the neon yellow rag to try & highlight it.

I painted everything Black & while being patient on the drying process I decided to take the extra chrome dots & stud out the armrests, once all put together (I needed 4 pairs of hands) thank fully I have squeeze clamps with the no mar rubber on them to hold everything together. once on it was time for a scoot with the wife - so we did a small 100-125 mile run & she loved them, the only bad thing was not being able to get into the saddlebags - so I removed the chrome allen head screws that act as stops so I could fold the arms all the way back & now I have full accessibility into the saddlebags.

other than the purchase of the kit - I don't have a dime in any of the materials, good friends & cashed in favors got me the metal & hardware (grade 8 on the 1/2 inch & stainless for the rest) - neat project which took a little time but with this off & on rain where im at it was something to do in my spare time - Ill be sure to update on any issues or mods to follow - Oh of which one to mention already, the armrests with out a passenger when riding would spin - it irritated me to hell so a rubber mallet to tap the rests up out of their mount position slightly and a rubber washer placed between the arm pad steel bottom plate & the plastic shoulder the pad assembly rests on - problem solved! wife loves em for re positioning & for the comfort. shes happy...…..Im happy!

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (02-18-2021)