Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007 | 05:40 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Default RE: '07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

1996 wg
Now that I look at it more closely the first thought that I have is that it looks a lot like the rear fender that Kawasaki put on theearly 70's 900cc Z1's. If I remember correctly they had a profile curve that's very similar to what's on your 96 WG.

Frank

Old 06-22-2007 | 06:48 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

They changed it when they changed the 06' Dynas.
They ruined the WG, just like they ruined the 07' Fat Boy.
Sometimes, make that ALL the time, they should leave well enough alone... The old WG had the lines.....

Old 06-22-2007 | 09:16 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: George C

They changed it when they changed the 06' Dynas.
They ruined the WG, just like they ruined the 07' Fat Boy.
Sometimes, make that ALL the time, they should leave well enough alone... The old WG had the lines.....
Thanks for the info. No wonder I was shakin' my head about the "unfinished" rear fender.

Now, doesn't this 1996 EVO WG just look good enough to eat???

Old 06-28-2007 | 11:30 AM
snowmass
Tourer

Mrlee1948, I don't know if you have decided already, but this was exactly my dilemma as well. The salesman was pushing the WG,andsaid he had a Dyna himself. He thoughtDynas had noticeably more power and handled better if you really push it in the turns.I talked to a couple of other dealers, and it turns out that others disagreed. Others thought the Dynas had a bit more power but thought it wasn't noticeable. I ended up getting theCustom for these reasons:

I preferred the balanced engine and the softail
I liked the lookfrom the side - the oil tank vs. battery and thecurved chrome over the rear wheel
The Custom comes with the wheel upgrade, and that's an expensive option on the WG
I liked the sissy bar and king/queen seat
Larger rear tire looks way cool.

After I added that all up it was an easy choice. But you know what, if you've already decided on a Wide Glide, you'll have a fantastic scooter that way too. It would still be my second choice. Let me know if you think it has noticeably more power and better handling.

Old 06-28-2007 | 11:35 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

Now, doesn't this 1996 EVO WG just look good enough to eat???
Yes! It looks like mine!

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:03 PM
TitusSpringer
4th Gear

I ride a 97 Heritage Springer and a 99 Wide Glide. I love them both for different reasons.Which one I ride depends on what type of riding I'll be doing. The WG has the Screamin' Eagle, 1550, and high compression pistons for the thrill you get when you twist the throttle. The Springer has always been my favorite Harley-Davidson motorcycle of all time. Great, comfortable ride for the long haul. It's pretty much stock - 80 CI Evo, stock pipes, seats, etc. Just buy them both!

Old 06-28-2007 | 02:14 PM
texas s
Intermediate

I was between a WG and a Deuce. There was just something missing from them both. Glad I did not get ina hurry. I was at a dealer last winter when I noticed the custom. Could not believe they brought it back. When I seen it sitting there, the choice was over. Over a year of deciding came down to a couple seconds of disbelieve. There she was, whispering to me "take me home".To me, there was no other bike than the custom. If you look a the rear fender on the custom, it is not only the lip that makes it look good. The bottom of the fender shows more tire. This looks great with the 200.The less people that have a ride like mine the better. But I don't think you can go wrong with the smooth/comfortable ride of the custom. Good luck deciding.

Old 06-28-2007 | 06:01 PM
reh13
Road Master

Since I own both, along with a road king and a street glide, let me add a little bait to the water.

Softail - married man's bike

Wideglide - single man's bike

Old 06-29-2007 | 05:01 PM
snowmass
Tourer

Yepreh13, that is some strong, stinky bait. But I'm not steppin in it.Anybody with 4 Harleys could easily beat me in an argument about themanyway.

texas s -well said. And after all of that looking in the showroom, you getto go ride it.

Old 06-30-2007 | 12:10 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: reh13

Since I own both, along with a road king and a street glide, let me add a little bait to the water.

Softail - married man's bike

Wideglide - single man's bike

But you have both...how does that work?

Quick Reply: '07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom