Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007 | 11:46 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Default RE: '07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

I have a Heritage, the Deuce below, and a WG.
How do you decide which one to ride?!?!

BTW, yes it is a Springer, I just used it for a pic of the back fender.

Old 06-22-2007 | 02:30 AM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser

I've owned two softails (both springers, '97 and '03) and I've owned a WG ('01). I didn't dislike the WG, but it just didn't measure up to the softails IMO.

Mike

Old 06-22-2007 | 03:54 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

I hope my Softail brothers don't kill me ...but I would pick a WG over a Custom. I LOVE the looks of the WideGlide.

Old 06-22-2007 | 09:55 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

ORIGINAL: DaveJ

To me it looks like they started to make a bobtail fender on the WG, but never gave it the finesse of the Softail.

I don't know about that. To me the rear fenders on the two bikes look virtually identical with the width of the newer 200mm tire making the Softailslook (and be) wider. The WG's rearfender actually looks a little better to me because thestock tail lightfills up the space under it a lot better than it did on my Custom before I swapped it out foe the Tri-Bar LED version.

michaelbarry,
We won't hate you. But if I were you and just to be sure I would be careful opening any packages for the next few days.

J/K [sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 06-22-2007 | 10:21 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I don't know about that. To me the rear fenders on the two bikes look virtually identical
Really? I am surprised no one sees it; I heard the same thing at the dealership a couple months back. The WG fender kinda looks like a tube and is lacking the little upwards swoop at the end that gives the fender it's character. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Not trying to insult you WG owner's, just my opinion.

Old 06-22-2007 | 10:58 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

DaveJ,

I stand corrected. I just looked at both bikes on the HD web site and it appears that you may be right,the WG does in fact seem to have a little lessof a 'flip' in the end of the rear fender.
I guess I just never paid all that much attention to the finer points.
However that being said IMHO I believe that we may be splitting too fine a hair here.
I mean that if I had to choose between the WG's rear fender and any of the other Dyna's. Itwould beno contest, the WG wins hands down.
If they mever made the Customs, Standards, and NT's I would be hard pressed to to choose another Softail over the WG and even though I have trouble working the forward controls on one I would still choose it over any of the other more full fendered Softails or Dyna's. It would just mean that I would have to do some work getting a new seat andmovingthe forward controls back some so I could operate themand reach the ground abit easier.

Frank

Old 06-22-2007 | 11:23 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

At the end of the day, I like the fact there are all these choices. It would be boring if everyone had the same bike. Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:11 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

DaveJ,

I stand corrected. I just looked at both bikes on the HD web site and it appears that you may be right,the WG does in fact seem to have a little lessof a 'flip' in the end of the rear fender.
I guess I just never paid all that much attention to the finer points.

Frank
Well I got fooled too, and I have a wide glide. At some point it seems that maybe HD changed the rear fender on the wg. Here's a pic of a 1999 wg on ebay and the fender looks to me just like a softail. My 1996 wg has a fender just like that. Hence, my earlier post about not knowing the difference.

This wg can be found here on ebay: http://*******.com/2uvfsx

Here's a pic of my 1996 wg; it's the original paint and tins and every other wg I see from the past looks just like it. (I think??) No wonder I was confused [&:]

Old 06-22-2007 | 04:27 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

Wierd! I wonder why they changed it?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-22-2007 | 05:15 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

To be a pain in the ***....as always. [:@]

Quick Reply: '07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom