Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:19 AM
Catching a Breeze
Cruiser
Default RE: '07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom

paulca,

That is one nice, bad *** looking custom man.

Old 06-21-2007 | 01:15 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I thought about the Wide Glide myself, in fact a friend has one and loves it.
The "counter balanced engine" on the soft tails did it for me.
Start them up at idol and the mirrors shake on the WG and not on the Custom.
(a salesman showed me that)

Then I changed my mind and bought a Fat Boy for a couple of other reasons.

Those are my 3 favorite harleys.

Old 06-21-2007 | 01:25 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm 5' 10" 190#. I have a Deuce softail, Heritage Softail and a Wide Glide. I'm most comfortable on the Glide, but everyone's different so as others said, only you know what you like.

I think the glide looks better than the Deuce, too. Again, personal preference and not worth the $.02 to anyone else. The glide has more rake in the forks than the softails and to me, the rear shocks aren't a problem.

Just to me, the glide rides better not just on twisty stuff but on bumpy stuff.

OK, now I'll return your $.02 because it wasn't worth it, I know. [&:]

Old 06-21-2007 | 07:53 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

200mm tire on the Softie.
That closed the deal for me.

Old 06-21-2007 | 10:10 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

I don't care for the look rear fender, swingarm, or exposed shocks on the WG, IMO. But I guess I'm into looks; and as George said, the Softail has the 200mm tire, which looks great!

But in the end, you have to decide what you like.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-21-2007 | 06:40 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DaveJ

I don't care for the look rear fender, swingarm, or exposed shocks on the WG, IMO. But I guess I'm into looks; and as George said, the Softail has the 200mm tire, which looks great!

[align=left] [/align]
I'm sure there must be a big difference in the general look of the rear fenders between the softail and the wide glide. I haven't noticed it. What is it? I have a wide glide...

Old 06-21-2007 | 07:00 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

[align=left] [/align]
I'm sure there must be a big difference in the general look of the rear fenders between the softail and the wide glide. I haven't noticed it. What is it? I have a wide glide...
To me it looks like they started to make a bobtail fender on the WG, but never gave it the finesse of the Softail.

Old 06-21-2007 | 08:34 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser

I test rode a friends 2006 WG before ordering my Deuce. The WG was a brilliant ride, i didn't notice any considerable difference in vibration between the WG and Softails but in the end it was 2 things that made me opt for the Softail. (1) - the WG seating position is higher, and i felt like i was sitting ON it whereas i felt as though i was sitting IN the softail, & (2) - i preferred the look of the hidden rear suspension as opposed to the WG suspension.

I could be wring here, but isn't the WG being discontinued for 2008? If you're buying new it's going to be a moot point.

Old 06-21-2007 | 09:16 PM
Doug
Cruiser

Softail only way to go.

Old 06-21-2007 | 11:35 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

[align=left] [/align]
To me it looks like they started to make a bobtail fender on the WG, but never gave it the finesse of the Softail.

That looks like a springer to me, but it's moot because the fender looks like my wg. Imho once the luggage rack is on, it's not that evident, is what I meant by "I hadn't noticed...big difference."

I have a Heritage, the Deuce below, and a WG. I'm 5' 10" 180+ pounds and to me the WG is the smoothest and most comfortable. I like sitting up. I can see better and my back stays straighter with the bars that are taller and come back to me. (As opposed to the deuce where I have to lean forward.)

I feel like the wg rides and handles much better. I like the raked out front on the wg. I "believe" it's raked out more than the Deuce or the Softail Classic.

However I ride the Heritage most because it's so versatile with being a bagger.

Again, just my $.02 and you can have your money back.

PS I love the look of all of you folks' softails. I agree they are hot and clean looking.

Quick Reply: '07 WideGlide vs Softail Custom