Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i sell the deluxe or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:45 PM
jplotner83
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i sell the deluxe or not?

i have a 08 deluxe that has 10k on miles. its got vance and hines true duels with the race tuner program and sounds and runs great. havent really been riding since kids were born and now that they are older the wife an i want to ride more. i had back surgery a few years ago and cant do long hauls with out some type of back support. SO my question is should i sell my deluxe and go with a road glide or make the mods to the deluxe? i love this bike but wondering if its time to move on.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Johnny Goodlife
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

What year Road Glide?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Add back support is my vote. Better suspension wouldn't hurt either. Road Glide will need back support mods too...and suspension most likely...

I'd keep the Deluxe personally...

Old 02-11-2018, 07:26 PM
jplotner83
2nd Gear

the road glide ultra would be a 2018 and the dealer has already agreed to put a back rest for me. the cost is covered by the trade or adjustment of the new bike only other thing id do to a new bike would be slip on exhaust for the moment.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by jplotner83
the road glide ultra would be a 2018 and the dealer has already agreed to put a back rest for me. the cost is covered by the trade or adjustment of the new bike only other thing id do to a new bike would be slip on exhaust for the moment.
Are you just jonesing for a new bike? Or are you trying to make what you have work for your needs? Sounds like it may be the former. If it's the later, then you should be able to get a seat with (removable) backrest (for both rider and passenger) easily enough.

If you really like the 08 Deluxe, you might want to consider a few things...

There are risk when considering the M8. It's a new motor and with "new" there are often kinks that take time to get worked out. You may already be aware, but just to put it out there anyway, there have been issues with the new M8's. Sumping problems have been a problem for all models. Transmission oil transfer has been a problem predominately with the touring models (hydraulic clutches). To date, the MoCo has not found a solution for either problem and those effected are being held in the lurch. The impact to the bikes usability - and the owners experience - has in cases been severe/signficant. Considering these risk, that 08 might just look a little sexier the next time you lay eyes on it.

Also, the constraints of the warranty should be considered if you like modding (tuners, pipes, etc).

If the M8's still got your interest, I might look at the new Heritage or Deluxe. A lot of good words have been said about the new Heritage. It may have advantages on a touring model - depending on use. It's has the 114 as an option, which neither the Deluxe or the touring models can say. Both the Heritage and the Deluxe are lighter and probably offer better handling/performance. In the looks department, I might go with the Deluxe vs. the Heritage. I like both, but the chrome and white walls on the Deluxe may give it the edge. Both the Deluxe and Heritage are Softails with the new suspension. Both the Heritage and Deluxe are going to be cheaper than a Glide and may suit your needs just as well.

Last edited by T^2; 02-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM
jplotner83
2nd Gear

not jonesing for a new bike just looking at all options. trying to compare everything. currently i need the new seat and back rest. however for the the trip we are taking i need storage as well. ive looked into pricing and im lookng at close to 2500 for everything if not a touch more. i understand all issues currently with the M8. im also aware that my bike is only worth is 8500 and putting more money into something that in the end i may not like (as in new seat and storage) could be a waste of money. When i first bought this bike and up to 2 years ago it was my dream. i really hate changing the original look. its a great day ride bike in my opinion but long haul im not sure. id love to keep it and buy the road glide for the long trips.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by jplotner83
not jonesing for a new bike just looking at all options. trying to compare everything. currently i need the new seat and back rest. however for the the trip we are taking i need storage as well. ive looked into pricing and im lookng at close to 2500 for everything if not a touch more. i understand all issues currently with the M8. im also aware that my bike is only worth is 8500 and putting more money into something that in the end i may not like (as in new seat and storage) could be a waste of money. When i first bought this bike and up to 2 years ago it was my dream. i really hate changing the original look. its a great day ride bike in my opinion but long haul im not sure. id love to keep it and buy the road glide for the long trips.
All good points. Luggage/storage space is definitely a consideration for long distance trips, especially if it will be two-up on one bike. I thought about this myself - and what option I might go with. Still... I might try a Heritage or Deluxe and try to make it work. Different (aftermarket) bags and a tour pack may get it done. Plus when the trip is over and I'm back home, all that stuff can come off and it becomes a good runabout/day-tripper. Versatile. If I was into the infotainment etc. that comes with a Glide, then the choice may be more clear. But I'm not.

Hard call.

Last edited by T^2; 02-11-2018 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jplotner83 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:51 PM
jplotner83
2nd Gear

Its a really tough call. love the bike but we're doing Sturgis this year and im in WV basically outside D.C. and its gonna be a haul. plus we're planning a trip up to Nova Scotia from home as well and id hate to invest the money and not be satisfied fully. Been thinking about this since August time frame.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The road glide is going to be a heavier feel . I have had 02 Heritage Softail 07 road glide 08 springer ,14 limited. I have arthritis and gout. I now have a 13 triglide. Love this bike. You can put a lot of stuff on and in it. I put a mustang touring seat on it . Have done 735 miles in one day NC to FL.Could have turned around and did it again . Also just installed a set of twin action shocks. Even rides better.
I also have an 03 Heritage Softail.That I picked up a couple of months ago. I forget how nice they ride . I use it for around town.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 PM
jplotner83
2nd Gear

i'm not at the tri-stage in life but sounds like you got the setup perfect. i test rode a Limited just before winter and i liked it. i have rode the road glide once and liked it but it was year or so ago and need to ride it again to make sure im good with it.

Quick Reply: should i sell the deluxe or not?