Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Softail owners .

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:16 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by moparnut72
I gotta quit looking at this thread, you guys are gonna make me do something stupid. I can't go deeper in debt. When the new Softails hit the dealers floor I went in to look. I liked the Fat Bob the best. Then on a later visit the Fat Boy was the ONE. Then on another day there was a white Low Rider on the floor. Oh yeah, especially after I sat on it. It fit me to a T. This was at 3 different dealers all about the same distance from me. All three of them tried putting key fobs in my hand. From everything you guys are saying I am not getting on one of those temptresses.
kk
I was a touring bike guy. I had my 07 Street Glide for 11 years and 96k miles. When I saw the 18 rollout, I was pretty damned surpised. Riding them, (I rode the Fat Bob, which was excellent from a handling and fun to ride standpoint and I rode the Heritage) I was blown away. The ride and handling was so superior to what I had and, in my opinion, superior to the latest and greatest touring bikes. I've got just a little over a thousand miles on my Heritage and haven't missed riding my old bike. The handling and ride, the power characteristics and smoothness of the Milwaukee eight still amaze me and how much its improved over the previous platforms Harley's produced. Once I rode them, it was just a matter of time.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:37 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

the fatboys look nice, dont no about some of the others though,the engine must feel good

Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
the fatboys look nice, dont no about some of the others though,the engine must feel good
Yea it does, plenty of torque from the get go.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM
jpplaw64
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

My 18 Street Bob. Really liking this bike, plenty of get up and go, and soon to have a little more when the Stage 2 gets done. Why the Street Bob? Because I have short legs and needed mids..lol

Last edited by jpplaw64; 03-05-2018 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StreetBob18 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Toner123
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jpplaw64
My 18 Street Bob. Really liking this bike, plenty of get up and go, and soon to have a little more when the Stage 2 gets done.
I am liking that engine guard bar. Where didnyou get the rear helmet holder? Lastly, what cam you going with? I just installed the power cam. Haven't really gotten on it to see the improvement yet. Looking at the HD book though, seems the tq cam really doesn't do much for the 107.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Toner123
Looking at the HD book though, seems the tq cam really doesn't do much for the 107.
It depends on what rev range you're talking about. As for torque, the torque cam provides a lot more than the HP cam, up until 4500 RPMs. The torque cam peaks at about 112 ft/lbs, the HP cam peaks at about 104 ft/lbs.

If you're looking for roll-on passing power, the torque cam gives a good improvement in the rev range up to 4500. If you're looking for high-RPM horsepower, the HP cam delivers more of that. But the HP cam doesn't beat the torque cam (in either HP or torque) until 4500+ RPMs. So if you rarely ever venture up that high, you wouldn't see as much benefit from the HP cam.

Both offer quite a bit more hp and torque than a stock bike, so you'll see improvements throughout the powerband no matter how you ride. For example, at 4000 RPMs, the stock bike is putting out about 95 ft/lbs, the HP cam is delivering about 104, and the torque cam is 108. So there's benefits to both. And in the high-horsepower range there's still benefit to both; at 5500 RPM the stock bike is about 76 hp, the torque cam is 94 hp, and the HP cam is 100 HP. So they both have benefits throughout the rev range. It's just that the torque cam's improvements are disproportionately in the range from 2000-4500 rpm, and the hp cam's improvements are disproportionately in the range from 4500+ RPM.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 03-05-2018 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toner123 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM
jpplaw64
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I am liking that engine guard bar. Where didnyou get the rear helmet holder? Lastly, what cam you going with? I just installed the power cam. Haven't really gotten on it to see the improvement yet. Looking at the HD book though, seems the tq cam really doesn't do much for the 107.
That's the HD Mustache guard, figured it might be useful since there's lots of sand out here - the more protection, the better. The sissy bar is the new Harley 21" rigid mount, I liked the looks of it, it gives her more of a 60's style look. I'm just doing the SE torque cam for now to keep warranty. It does bump up tq down low a bit and smoothes out the curve some. But after warranty, who knows....

Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Toner123
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
It depends on what rev range you're talking about. As for torque, the torque cam provides a lot more than the HP cam, up until 4500 RPMs. The torque cam peaks at about 112 ft/lbs, the HP cam peaks at about 104 ft/lbs.

If you're looking for roll-on passing power, the torque cam gives a good improvement in the rev range up to 4500. If you're looking for high-RPM horsepower, the HP cam delivers more of that. But the HP cam doesn't beat the torque cam (in either HP or torque) until 4500+ RPMs. So if you rarely ever venture up that high, you wouldn't see as much benefit from the HP cam.

Both offer quite a bit more hp and torque than a stock bike, so you'll see improvements throughout the powerband no matter how you ride. For example, at 4000 RPMs, the stock bike is putting out about 95 ft/lbs, the HP cam is delivering about 104, and the torque cam is 108. So there's benefits to both. And in the high-horsepower range there's still benefit to both; at 5500 RPM the stock bike is about 76 hp, the torque cam is 94 hp, and the HP cam is 100 HP. So they both have benefits throughout the rev range. It's just that the torque cam's improvements are disproportionately in the range from 2000-4500 rpm, and the hp cam's improvements are disproportionately in the range from 4500+ RPM.
Good break down bro. Greatly appreciate it. I think I chose the right one for me then. I am a higher rpm person. I was more aiming to get the bike to 100 hp and 100 tq. I have always been a fan of 1 to 1. I rode the bike a little yesterday and didn't feel any loss of power down low. So this had me thinking. But after your explanation it makes sense because the HP cam still out performs the stock cam in both areas.

Last edited by Toner123; 03-05-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM
badcooky
Banned

Good break down bro. Greatly appreciate it. I think I chose the right one for me then. I am a higher rpm person. I was more aiming to get the bike to 100 hp and 100 tq. I have always been a fan of 1 to 1. I rode the bike a little yesterday and didn't feel any loss of power down low. So this had me thinking. But after your explanation it makes sense because the HP cam still out performs the stock cam in both areas.
The cam for the way you ride is the right one hey guys , Toner rides where the power cam works but I'd grab the torque cam for myself ,till warranty expires anyways.
Cheers guys.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 PM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by jpplaw64
My 18 Street Bob. Really liking this bike, plenty of get up and go, and soon to have a little more when the Stage 2 gets done. Why the Street Bob? Because I have short legs and needed mids..lol
Mate the way those bars are laid back you're a little vertically challenged bro ?

Quick Reply: M8 Softail owners .