Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Sport Glide FLSB tuning opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018 | 02:04 PM
WingsMC
Intermediate
Default 2018 Sport Glide

My wife came off a Sportster and bought a 2018 Sport Glide, I ride a 2017 RK. First I want to say we don’t care about factory warranty, never have. I’ve been riding Harley’s since 1979 of all types and know well how the Factor operates. Now that I got that out of the way let me say that the sport Glide is one sweet ride. I can’t say anything negative about it other then it could use a bigger wind shield for my taste and brighter colors. It is truly a first class bike that runs circles around the Road king and is a blast to ride! Cornering, handling, shocks front and rear, acceleration and braking kick butt.

What we did was;
1. Changed the stock muffler to a TAB muffler WITHOUT the cat but with the melow baffles, for my ears.
2. Changed the Air-cleaner to the Harley free flowing breather.
3. Got a tune for it from FuelMoto and uploaded it with a Dyna Jet PV.

Runs and sounds Great!!! I will most likely be getting one for myself when I’m ready to trade my Road King in.

By the way this is our 3rd M8, collectively we have about 25000 miles on them with no issues at all. None of them are stock.

Old 03-26-2018 | 10:34 PM
FLSL
Advanced

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
The FP3 results in an automatic, irrevocable powertrain warranty denial on any 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2020 Harley. Dealer doesn't get a say in it. So the dealer may be providing you their own store warranty guarantee, but if your bike is a 2017 or later, your Harley factory warrant is absolutely guaranteed gone, as per the EPA Consent Decree. If your dealer told you that an FP3 wouldn't void your warranty, then your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about, and just for that alone he should warranty your bike himself.
Legally yes I know what you are saying, but all I said was they have never been turned down by HD on warranty work for guys using the FP3...I don't care about the logistics of how they get it covered as long as it's covered.

Old 03-26-2018 | 10:42 PM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by naterade123
So.... I said **** It.

-Vance and Hines Shortshots exhaust on a 2018 Sport Glide
-Screamin Eagle high flow air cleaner with stock cover
-Dyno Tuning using factory ECU at Pikes Peak Harley Davidson
-Still waiting on my saddlebag bracket to come in. Vance and Hines didn't get them out in time but it can still been installed without it.

Really nice work man !

Old 03-27-2018 | 06:13 AM
mrcribbs
Advanced

Looks great. How about a video so we can hear it!

Old 03-27-2018 | 07:43 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by mrcribbs
Looks great. How about a video so we can hear it!
Hells yea !

Old 03-27-2018 | 10:35 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLSL
Legally yes I know what you are saying, but all I said was they have never been turned down by HD on warranty work for guys using the FP3...I don't care about the logistics of how they get it covered as long as it's covered.
As long as you only ever get service from that dealer, and that dealer promises to pay for any service that Harley denies, then you might be okay. I'm just pointing out that the use of an aftermarket tuner is an automatic warranty voider, and the dealership doesn't get a say in it. The fact of the matter is that your Harley powertrain warranty is already voided. If the dealer is promising to replace that voided warranty with their own dealership warranty, maybe that's fine, but if you're ever on the road and need repair service, you will have to pay for it because the powertrain warranty is already gone.

This is a federal court-mandated requirement that applies to 2017-2020 model Harleys and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Old 03-27-2018 | 10:44 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
As long as you only ever get service from that dealer, and that dealer promises to pay for any service that Harley denies, then you might be okay. I'm just pointing out that the use of an aftermarket tuner is an automatic warranty voider, and the dealership doesn't get a say in it. The fact of the matter is that your Harley powertrain warranty is already voided. If the dealer is promising to replace that voided warranty with their own dealership warranty, maybe that's fine, but if you're ever on the road and need repair service, you will have to pay for it because the powertrain warranty is already gone.

This is a federal court-mandated requirement that applies to 2017-2020 model Harleys and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

The dealership gets a say in it by not reporting the tuner in the first place. There's no way for HD to know unless someone tells them.

Old 03-27-2018 | 04:15 PM
FLSL
Advanced

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
The dealership gets a say in it by not reporting the tuner in the first place. There's no way for HD to know unless someone tells them.
++1.....which is exactly how they do it......and also why they tell you to purchase your tuner and pipes elsewhere then bring them in for install and tune......done with the warranty pissing match. I'm good with my dealer, that's all that matters.

Last edited by FLSL; 03-27-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2018 | 04:43 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
That was the way it used to be. That is not necessarily true anymore. There have been reports that the ECU can "phone home" when it is connected to the diagnostic tool that Harley uses to analyze error codes. This is not a voluntary thing for the company, this is something that was enforced on them by the EPA and the federal courts. Aftermarket tuner = voided warranty, immediately, no ifs, ands, or buts.

It doesn't make any difference to me what you do with your bike, I was just referencing the claim that you used an FP3 and your warranty is intact. It isn't. The federal decree requires Harley to void the powertrain warranty if they have any information, or if their dealers have any information, that a non-compliant tuner was used (and all tuners other than the SEPST are non-compliant).