Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Fatbob Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018 | 08:47 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

I did this on my '16 Breakout. Just take off the seat. Unbolt the tank disconnect the cable at the fuel pump, disconnect the QD fuel line and breather tube at the front and slide the tank back. Just hook up the connector and put everything back. The Cruise control unit is the same as yours. I did mine in conjunction with a bar swap. Here's a tip. Get a good thick guitar string to use to pull the cable thru. Do not cut or shorten the cable or you will be wanting it back if you want taller bars later on. Just tuck the excess up under the tank. My dealer charged me $25 to activate it in the PCM.

Old 01-31-2018 | 06:39 PM
crazydubc
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
I did this on my '16 Breakout. Just take off the seat. Unbolt the tank disconnect the cable at the fuel pump, disconnect the QD fuel line and breather tube at the front and slide the tank back. Just hook up the connector and put everything back. The Cruise control unit is the same as yours. I did mine in conjunction with a bar swap. Here's a tip. Get a good thick guitar string to use to pull the cable thru. Do not cut or shorten the cable or you will be wanting it back if you want taller bars later on. Just tuck the excess up under the tank. My dealer charged me $25 to activate it in the PCM.
That is the wrong instructions, and what screwed me up. On the fatbob there is a rubber grommet in front of the tank that needs to be removed, and that is where the connector is. However, if the bike is like mine, I had to move some brake lines to get the rubber out. Also 2 feet of extra cable is too much to stuff away under the tank, so I zip tied mine up the the wire harness.

Old 02-08-2018 | 08:43 AM
FXFBS
6th Gear

I installed mine the other night, and braided the slack around the mess of wires the factory has going into the handlebar to clean up the look a bit. I think it came out great and doesn't bind up at all.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 Fatbob Cruise Control-img_4124.jpg   2018 Fatbob Cruise Control-img_4120.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019 | 05:03 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Yesterday I installed it on my Bob, no problem getting that extra long cable behind the rubber in the frame, now it looks just like before.

Old 03-13-2019 | 03:47 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Yesterday I installed it on my Bob, no problem getting that extra long cable behind the rubber in the frame, now it looks just like before.
Same here, tucked into the frame after a handle bar change. I'd rather the stock neat look.

Old 03-26-2019 | 04:42 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

I activated my Cruise Control without any problem with my new Motorscan 6050.

But what I'm breaking my head of, how does this thing even works ? I mean the old contols that you remove to instal the one that contains the CC al so have just 4 wires.
So every input goes true the same 4 wires as before, that makes me wondering if you could build your own CC controller instead of paying so much dollars for it.

I took a test on my FXSB 2016 and I activated CC even there is non on the bike, so in the ECU it is activated, now my search is how do you active it with just the 4 wires ?

This is the "old" controller without the CC, you can see 4 wires. On the one with the CC on it, it just have al so those 4 wires in the same color code same plug

This is the one with CC contrller in it, as you can see 4 wires, same color code and plug.

Old 03-26-2019 | 04:53 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I activated my Cruise Control without any problem with my new Motorscan 6050.

But what I'm breaking my head of, how does this thing even works ? I mean the old contols that you remove to instal the one that contains the CC al so have just 4 wires.
So every input goes true the same 4 wires as before, that makes me wondering if you could build your own CC controller instead of paying so much dollars for it.

I took a test on my FXSB 2016 and I activated CC even there is non on the bike, so in the ECU it is activated, now my search is how do you active it with just the 4 wires ?

This is the "old" controller without the CC, you can see 4 wires. On the one with the CC on it, it just have al so those 4 wires in the same color code same plug

This is the one with CC contrller in it, as you can see 4 wires, same color code and plug.

The wire harness doesn't change. The stock switch set only uses 3 of the wires, cruise switch taps into the 4th wire. It's just signals sent to the computer to process.
Opinion.

Last edited by OldMike; 03-26-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Fake News
Old 03-26-2019 | 04:55 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Do you happen to now wich wire ( color) is used for the CC ? both have 4 on them.

Old 03-26-2019 | 05:05 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Do you happen to now wich wire ( color) is used for the CC ? both have 4 on them.
No, maybe a wiring schematic can help.
Finding the wire won't help you, that cruise switch does more than just on/off, you won't be able to duplicate that.
(opinion)

Old 03-26-2019 | 05:08 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

My gues to, I just messured the wires from the oem **** and every **** sends out a differnet Ohm true the wires. A electronicus must know how this works but this out of my league

But hey, I can activate them that is a starter