Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a couple of Mobil 1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: a couple of Mobil 1 questions

Well Scott, we ALL hope you get 'better' real soon, like about nextTuesday maybe?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
floydpink
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using Mobil1 20/50 in the engine and primary and bought into the Redline heavy for the tranny. My shifting was always smooth, but seems even smoother now.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 AM
69Shark
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Well Scott, we ALL hope you get 'better' real soon, like about nextTuesday maybe?

Yeah, I'd like that but I'll be gone for July and am currently working on my "Productivity Simulation".

Gotta get that down ya know!

Scott

Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Having had the M1 15w-50 and 20w-50 analyzed, the differences in the additive packages was definitely not worth the difference in price. 20w-50 is a waste of money. You pay for the hype, and the only diff it might make is if you lose your oil pump, or lose all the oil in the bag, you might get an extra 1/4 second before your motor gets trashed.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Scott,
I unfortunatly am all too aware of that kind of thing, and wish you luck with it.
Too bad too it would appear that we are going to have a very nice weekend to get 'sick' on.
Frank

ORIGINAL: pococj

Having had the M1 15w-50 and 20w-50 analyzed, the differences in the additive packages was definitely not worth the difference in price. 20w-50 is a waste of money. You pay for the hype, and the only diff it might make is if you lose your oil pump, or lose all the oil in the bag, you might get an extra 1/4 second before your motor gets trashed.
pococj,
While all that your saying my in fact be 100% accurate, I will still pay the extra for the 20/50 for V-Twins. No matter what any one person says about them, I find it hard tobelieve that they are really one and the same thing or near enough as to make little or no difference. There HAS to be something different about them.
Besides by using the 'right' verson I benifit from thepeace of mindknowing that I have done everything I could to make the eninge last as long as possible. In the unlikely event that somethingcatastropic does happen to my engine's oil pump. I'll also besecure in the knowledge that it wasn't because I used the wrong oil an I'm not going to have a knock down drag out fight with theservice rep to get it fixed without having the bill look like I was buying a new bike.

Frank [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 PM
*JC*
Advanced

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

WARG,

How do you like running the Amsoil? I'm goign to be switching over to Amsiol synthetic when I get my 5000 mile service next week.
I wouldn't use any other thing unless I had too! I'm not putting down Mobil 1 oil, it is indeed a good product. Just know your facts:

I use to use Mobil 1 in the Trans Am but once Mobil followed suit with the mass majority of oil companiesafter the goverment changed the regulations on how the term"synthetic" was to be applied. I stopped using Mobil 1because they reformulated their product to conform to this new definition... That saved them huge bucks in making the stuff since they no longer had to use the very best of the best chemicals but could now use the cheap stuff and yet still market it as synthetic at the same price as before. However, its ironic that it was Mobil 1that put up the biggest fuss and spending millions in the courts to stop that from happening. Up until then Mobil made claim that the use of the cheaper base materials that other companies were using in their products made them not true synthetics... How quickly they changed their idealogy when the government didn't rule in their favor...Yes,Mobil 1still calls it product a synthetic and by all legal accounts they can do so but any chemist can tell you that Mobile 1 isn't a true synthetic like others out there on the market, such asAmsoil or Royal purple...

O'by the way last I heard it was Sunoco that had the oil contract with Harley Davidson... You really didn't think Harley Davidson had thier own oil refiner producing their top secret formula oil? They are like any business they look who can meet their demand at the lowest cost to produce oil products with their name on them so they can sell them at elevated prices...

Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member

I got the crankcase switched over this evening. Wow!! what an immediate difference!! I'll be doing the primary and trans next week. Thank you everyone for your input.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Scott,
I unfortunatly am all too aware of that kind of thing, and wish you luck with it.
Too bad too it would appear that we are going to have a very nice weekend to get 'sick' on.
Frank

ORIGINAL: pococj

pococj,
While all that your saying my in fact be 100% accurate, I will still pay the extra for the 20/50 for V-Twins. No matter what any one person says about them, I find it hard tobelieve that they are really one and the same thing or near enough as to make little or no difference. There HAS to be something different about them.
Besides by using the 'right' verson I benifit from thepeace of mindknowing that I have done everything I could to make the eninge last as long as possible. In the unlikely event that somethingcatastropic does happen to my engine's oil pump. I'll also besecure in the knowledge that it wasn't because I used the wrong oil an I'm not going to have a knock down drag out fight with theservice rep to get it fixed without having the bill look like I was buying a new bike.

Frank [sm=biker2.gif]
Your bike; your choice.

I'm sure there is a difference between them; in fact, I know there is a difference between them. I have the results of the tests to show that, and have posted those results on here several times. You can't dispute facts, and the facts show that there is very little difference in the additive packages. Is the M1 V-twin version better? From the results of the testing; yes, it is marginally better. Is the margin of improvement worth the extra money? This is where opinion comes in; my opinion says it ain't worth it. Yours may differ, and that is fine.

If something untoward happens to your oil pump, using either of these oils will give you about the same amount of protection. But in real-time, it won't matter.

As far as the knock-down drag-out with a dealer because you chose to use an oil that surpasses the specifications of their own oil, it ain't gonna happen. HD will not void a warranty because you use Mobil 1 15w-50 instead of Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50. If they tried to do so, Mobil would hand them their severely chewed up posterior, along with a substantial lawyer's bill, for being stupid.

Bottom line is that you can use any stinkin' brand of oil out there that is of the correct viscosity, and at least reasonably new so that it meets the relative API specs, and HD has to honor your warranty.

Something else to consider for y'all hung up on this stuff - HD does not post the specs their own oil meets. Therefore, if you think along the lines that it "must" be a muttersickle oil, how can you possibly know whether your choice meets or exceeds HD specs? You can't!

Next-to-last - I saw the results of used oil analyses done on a couple oils used in the same HD. One was a high dollar muttersickle oil, and the other was a lowly car oil, both being 20w-50. The $2/qt car oil showed less wear products in the oil, which means that the engine would last longer withthe $2 oil than with the $8 muttersickle oil.

And lastly - I don't care what oil you choose. See above - "Your bike; your choice." I'll post what I've found, and wish others would do the same. That's what makes this place good - sharing what we've found.

There was an oil-type engineer who dropped in once, but all he did was say (paraphrasing) that there was more to the story than