Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a couple of Mobil 1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: a couple of Mobil 1 questions

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

Mobile 1 V-Twin 20-50 in the crank case
Mobile 1 75w-90 gear lube in the tranny.
HD Primary lube in the primary.
Same

You may also want to use the new HD Formula Plus in the primary. I believe it replaces the HD Primary lube.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 PM
purple haze
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like some one else said go to AUTOZONE and dont look at MOBIL ONE in the silver bottles but look around the area and it will be in a BLACK BOTTLE and my store had it on a lazy susan type set up right in front of MOBIL ONE but I kept looking at the SILVER bottles!! DUHH! If it was a snake it would had bit me!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/8AA760ABE00E475799A1924FBE87346C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2007, 12:00 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

destockton,
Your probably right about that I know what you mean about theone oil in one hole type of bikes and its never sit too well with me when they do that.
I have SYN3 in all three holes, for now. But have been looking around to see exactly what really would bebest for allthe differing requirments. So far I haven't been able to prove thatthere is a MAJOR difference in using anything other than the SYN3 that HD sells. But I'm open to debate on it and already plan to switch over toMobil 1 for V-Twins 20-50 at least for the engine and maybe primary.
"IF" I can find some of the heavier stuff for the tranny I will use it as my bike getsvery hot on afairly regular basis. Not to mention I 'sometimes' like topush it abit for fun.
The only thingset in stone, as it were is that I will be all synthetic. I'm just still trying to determine what exactly is the best oil that is readily avalable in my area.
I ran SYN3 in all three holes on a 03 Heritage Softail (I traded with 28K miles) and in all three holes on an 05 Electra Glide Classic (I traded with 34K miles). I had no problems and noticed no noise. I'd probably still be running SYN3 except for a lot of learned opinions on this board and the fact that Harley recomended something different in the primary and gear box on my 06 Ultra. Now I know the gear box and the primary had zilch changes made to them from 05 to 06 so I asked a dealer why the change. A mechanic told me that SYN3 was still fine to run but that the Formula Plus was blended with more anti-shear ingredients, exactly the thing that makes gear oil different from regular oil and what the transmission gears need. I changed to Mobil 1 VTwin because every town has an AutoZone or Wal-Mart (you can always mix the 15w50 car oil with it in a pinch) but a lot of places don't have Harley dealers and I do my share of trips. I should add I've only had to add a little oil on one trip but I have also changed oil on a trip. I don't like taking nothing back to dealers unless Ihave a serious or warranty problem I can't handle on my own.

In summary, it probably doesn't matter what you run as long as it's a good synthetic. If like me you plan to keep your bike a long time, I think gear oil is better for long term use in the transmission.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: deadeye
I run Mobile1 in the engine but the mechanic at my Harley shop told me not to run it in the primary because ofslippage???
If that had ANY truth to it, why does HD recomend their own SYN3 for all three holes?
Its just BS, plain and simple ignorance, and I would never believeanything that guy said EVER again at face value.
He obviously hasn't a clue what the hell he's talking about.
I now believe he was just trying to push the Formula Plus.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: deadeye
I now believe he was just trying to push the Formula Plus.
A good possibility, and a good reason to be careful of what anyone in that dealer tells you about taking care of your bike.
Any dealership that ismore interested in their profit margin than helping their customers bikes last longerwould make medoubly suspicious of anything they might tell me.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
purple haze
Road Master

I use the MOBIL ONE 20w 50w in crankcase but MOBIL ONE makes TRANNY oil 75w 90w and that is what I put in Tranny, messy CHIT thou.!!! It is like HONEY!! PURPLE HAZE.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/AC13DA5B7AE0431DB49B861F104D13A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

That reminds me of the old STP. We often usedit for bearing and cam assembly lube manyyears ago, itstuck to everything it touched.
If you got any on your hands it was like some kind of never dry glue. But it worked just fine for keeping everything nice and slippery for those first few critical minutes after you started up a fresh engine.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM
purple haze
Road Master

THAT MOBIL ONE tranny oil 75w 90w is some messy CHIT I got a little on bike and garage floor still have slick spot!! and that was weeks ago, so I guess Tranny should be well lubed!! PURPLE HAZE.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/CD8A2A714AE749DB8B5E2F1A9EBE1C81.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2007, 03:24 PM
69Shark
Tourer

Sounds like Mobile One tranny oil 75w 90w
and the 20-50 for the other two holes is the way I'll be going.
Scott

Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
69Shark
Tourer

Cough . . . cough . .

Hmm, stayed home today.

Hey! I think I'll go change the fluids on my bike! Gotta warm her up though so off I go to get an oil filter and some Mobile one!

Scott

Quick Reply: a couple of Mobil 1 questions