Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Transmission oil transfer!!! Anyone ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018 | 09:12 AM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member
Default 2018 Transmission oil transfer!!! Anyone ??

I have been looking hard, I haven't seen one 18 Softail transfer yet. My feeling is they won't because the clutch is cable. Is any one even looking for it on a 18?
I'm interested in a new Softail because my Turing bike is getting to heavy for me in parking maneuvers. On top of this I still worry about the sumping issue.

Old 01-23-2018 | 09:28 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I have been looking hard, I haven't seen one 18 Softail transfer yet. My feeling is they won't because the clutch is cable. Is any one even looking for it on a 18?
I'm interested in a new Softail because my Turing bike is getting to heavy for me in parking maneuvers. On top of this I still worry about the sumping issue.
Haven't seen anybody complain about transfer yet....

But, believe I've seen some reports recently on M8 softails having the sumping issue.

Old 01-23-2018 | 09:56 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

It’s happening there been reports

Old 01-23-2018 | 01:37 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Are you asking if Harley squared away a problem in ONE model year???????

Go outside and cut me switch!

Old 01-23-2018 | 03:33 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer

The engines in the Softail's are different in the M 8's in the touring models, some of which are the Cable Clutch and Dual Gear Driven counter balancers.

Old 01-23-2018 | 03:41 PM
reynoldss
Cruiser

Nothing here . I run it hard as well. If she blows hello 120". The harder I run it the better it runs.

Old 01-23-2018 | 06:57 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
It’s happening there been reports
so you have seen that some 18 Softails have transferred? Could you please show the reports? I had high hopes they wouldn't transfer with a cable clutch, if this is true, big Bummer..

Old 01-23-2018 | 11:20 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

On the touring bikes, two things are happening. Sumping and fluid migration.

Fluid migration seems to be limited to touring models due to the hydraulic clutch.

Softails could sump which has nothing to do with fluid migration or clutch type. Since the Softails have not been out as long as the touring bikes, jury is still out regarding sumping.

Harley has fixed nothing regarding either issue. A couple of revisions of the oil pump were issued in hopes of solving the sumping issue but it did not make a difference.

Old 01-24-2018 | 01:40 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
On the touring bikes, two things are happening. Sumping and fluid migration.

Fluid migration seems to be limited to touring models due to the hydraulic clutch.

Softails could sump which has nothing to do with fluid migration or clutch type. Since the Softails have not been out as long as the touring bikes, jury is still out regarding sumping.

Harley has fixed nothing regarding either issue. A couple of revisions of the oil pump were issued in hopes of solving the sumping issue but it did not make a difference.
Sorry guys I tried to make it clear I'm only interested in the transfer problem on the 18 Softails, if it exist. I know about sumping and transfer on the M8 Turing bikes. I did not think a 18 Softail would transfer with a cable clutch, but one guy above said he had reports that they do, I would like to see proof that a cable clutch 18 softail will transfer!!! I hope like hell they don't.

Old 01-24-2018 | 03:41 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer

I have never seen or heard of reports of Oil Transfer of any sort with the new '18 Softail series.

I have looked everywhere on the net.

I did hear of one poster saying that heard of someone having a problem, but he never talked to the one complaining........So nothing but a rumor probably.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (01-24-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Transmission oil transfer!!! Anyone ??