Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
86flst
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self starter?

Hi everyone, I have a "head scratcher" I'm dealing with. When I turn my ignition switch to the on position-the starter begins cranking without me touching the start button? This happens even though the on/off swith is in the off position. The starter stops cranking when I turn the swith to the off position. Another unusual thing-cranking stops-mostly-when the bike is in the upright position. When I lean the bike to the left, as if leaning it on the kickstand-the cranking starts again. I appreciate any input you can provide.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
06hog
Cruiser
Default RE: self starter?

Did you wash it recently prior to this happening? How many times or how often does it happen? Sometimes the water can get into the controls on the bars and short it out. Take it apart, check the wiring, make sure there are no shorts, it is all dry and try to seal it good when you put it back together. Hope it helps.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 86flst

Hi everyone, I have a "head scratcher" I'm dealing with. When I turn my ignition switch to the on position-the starter begins cranking without me touching the start button? This happens even though the on/off swith is in the off position. The starter stops cranking when I turn the swith to the off position. Another unusual thing-cranking stops-mostly-when the bike is in the upright position. When I lean the bike to the left, as if leaning it on the kickstand-the cranking starts again. I appreciate any input you can provide.
Sounds like you need an old priest and a young priest.

Have you recently replaced the switch housings or handle bars or anything? You may have some wires crossed.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06hog

Did you wash it recently prior to this happening? How many times or how often does it happen? Sometimes the water can get into the controls on the bars and short it out. Take it apart, check the wiring, make sure there are no shorts, it is all dry and try to seal it good when you put it back together. Hope it helps.
I would agree with that, except his is doing it when the kill switch is in the "stop" position. He shouldn't be getting power to the start button in stop.

I had a similar situation. I spray oil on the start button when I was lubing the throttle cables. My starter would randomly try to engage while I was riding or would engage as soon as I turned on the igniton. I had to clean the switch a half a a dozen time so get rid of the problem....BTW, I had a buddy who's bike would do it after washing. He had to replace the start button.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
86flst
1st Gear

Thank you all for getting back to me!! In response to the "recently washed" question-no, not recently-it's been over a month-just touch-up dusting and polishing the chrome. In response to "replacing the starter swtch"-yes, awhile back but I have not had any issues since the replacement. There was a comment about "random engagement" of the starter motor-yes, that happened a few times while I was riding. The bike has been running very well over the last month, then it sat for about two weeks. This issue just showed itself when I pulled it out for a "putt" and it surprised me when I turned the "center console-dash" switch to the on(acc.) position and it started cranking. I turned the "handlebar" on/off swith to the off position immediately-but it kept cranking? I have the console switch wired to start in the "accessory" position-then I click to the "lights" position to turn on all the lighting. I noticed that when the bike is straight upright-it doesn't happen. When I lean the bike over to the left however, it begins cranking but stops when I upright it again. If I lean the bike to the right-it does not happen-only leaning it to the left????
I was wondering if the starter relay could be bad or stuck open? I have replaced the relay twice before, but that issue is usually just a clicking sound when those go bad. The bike is, after all, twenty one years old-I bought it new-and everyone that see's it now-thinks it's still new. ! I've never had any starter problems. The starter IS working though-so I don't think it's that. Something IS causing it to engage though-with the handlebar switch in the ON or OFF position? I'm going to take the switch housing apart again for another-closer look. I have taken the dash apart to look for loose wires or a short but found none. Like most of you-I HATE going to the dealer for anything, especially diagnostics. I am comfortable doing anything I need to myself.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at the solinoid on the starter. Sounds like the return spring may be shot and theplunger may be closing the circuit.Mind you I'm guessing here, as my manual is in the shop, but it may make contact like this independant of the start button and kill switch.
Ron

Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM
86flst
1st Gear

Thanks Ron,
This may account for the problem showing itself when I lean the bike to the left-the solinoid side ???? Good idea!! I did switch out the solinoid about seven years ago and found out-after the fact-it was NOT the problem-now where did I put that spare solinoid??-LOL
David