Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still no anti-lock ft brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017 | 04:07 PM
rquest
|
Road Master
Default Still no anti-lock ft brake kit?

I don't like my front brake locking up during quick stops... any constructive opinions? (other than drive more defensively, don't panic, etc, lol) It would seem to me someone could make A LOT OF MONEY by making something that would "pulsate" the amount of fluid going to the brake that would not include a computer? Anyone deliberately put air bubbles into the line? haha

Last edited by rquest; 12-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2017 | 06:57 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Put Lyndall organic pads on it. The bite of organic pads is not nearly as abrupt as metal sintered. That said, there are many of us without ABS using metal sintered pads and aren't locking the front wheel (even during emergency stops), so I'd take a hard look at my skills.

I'll leave you with this; how you engage the front brakes is very important. If you put a gorilla grip on the lever before the front tire has had time to squat, you'll probably lock the wheel. But, if apply pressure to the brake lever initially and increase force as you go, you'll get a nice, skid free stop; even on skinny front tire bikes. It also helps to unlock your elbows and un-hunch you shoulders as well.

There's more to it than that, but that's a start.

The following users liked this post:
rquest (02-08-2018)
Old 12-30-2017 | 02:13 AM
rquest
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Put Lyndall organic pads on it. The bite of organic pads is not nearly as abrupt as metal sintered. That said, there are many of us without ABS using metal sintered pads and aren't locking the front wheel (even during emergency stops), so I'd take a hard look at my skills.

I'll leave you with this; how you engage the front brakes is very important. If you put a gorilla grip on the lever before the front tire has had time to squat, you'll probably lock the wheel. But, if apply pressure to the brake lever initially and increase force as you go, you'll get a nice, skid free stop; even on skinny front tire bikes. It also helps to unlock your elbows and un-hunch you shoulders as well.

There's more to it than that, but that's a start.
Thanks for the advice, I've owned several bikes since '1968 and never had a problem until this new N-Train. I may try the organic disk!

Old 12-30-2017 | 05:08 AM
Jack the Lad
Tourer

Put a good quality sport touring tyre on the front, like a Michelin Pilot Road 4.
I don't know what size you need, but front grip is what you require.

The following users liked this post:
rquest (12-30-2017)