Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softail gas gauge behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:42 AM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
+1 NEVER rely on the MTE (miles to empty). Its calculated by your riding habits (i.e. twisting the throttle). As Pothole has stated, try riding at a steady speed/rpm for a long distance and you may see the value increase.
This has also been my experience with numerous bikes. There is much more change in the lower end of tank capacity than he upper or middle range. But I have seen the range increase when riding consistently at lower rpms and steady speed. So I refuel primarily based on mile accumulated in the trip odometer.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 PM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by justcruising
I also have an accuracy issue with the fuel guage on my 2018 Deluxe. I can fill it to the recess and it has only read full a few times, sometimes for a few minutes then reverts back to just above 3/4. Falls pretty quickly to about 1/3, then sits there FOREVER until eventually progressing to a low fuel light. I rely on the trip meter for refuelling like most people but the gauge seems to be getting worse. I have wondered if I just run the tank level RIGHT down, it might relearn it’s actual capacity or self calibrate the gauge?
Have had an interesting development since I posted my issue (above). After running the fuel down until the low fuel light came on and some more using the trip meter, then refilling to the recess, the fuel guage seems to have come good & stabilised. Wondering if there is some wierd self-learning calibration going on within the management system.

Last edited by justcruising; 11-15-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Here I have question as this is brand new bike for me. My tank is full does below fuel gauge indicate full tank? Looks like I am missing one bar. Should I be concern about my sending unit?

Bike is 2019 but it looks like it was sitting for long while before I bought it. Wonder if I should wait till spring and fill it up few times so hopefully this will show last bar of bring it up during my 1000 miles service at dealer?

Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 AM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine does the same and seems inaccurate, inconsistent and unreliable. By all means bring it up at your next service in case there is fix but I suspect the system used is disappointingly this way.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:01 PM
Oscar Quintana
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sir
I have same issue with my fatboy 2019 , did you find root cause of the problem?, I appreciate it in advance , Best regards

Old 11-07-2020, 11:14 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscar Quintana
Hi Sir
I have same issue with my fatboy 2019 , did you find root cause of the problem?, I appreciate it in advance , Best regards
mine does same think which I thought is faulty gauge it is not you just have to fill this bitch to max like teally to the top and this last bar will lit up. Took me a while to figure it up. I am talking fuel has to flow to both sides of the tank first (you can rock the bike gently sideways to make this happen) and after this add a bit more to get fuel to the level at 1/2 in the tank inlet (plastic bottom of cap will probably touch fuel level at this point). Funny think is after you will do that after riding bike for 5 miles this gauge will indicate one bar less so I dont even bother to do it anymore but it is doable to at least assure your gauge is capable to do it. It is tricky but doable. Faulty design as full level mark has to be really high in the gauge to trigger this bar to light up.You might try it in garage and use funnel first time but after few times I was able to do it at gas station. I dont care anymore.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:56 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Its typical... i gas up at a third of a tank.. still, its better than its been

Old 11-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

My mpg seems to have dropped a bit from 47-50 to about 43-44. I changed exhaust to V&H Eliminator 300s and installed an FP3 tuner with the canned map for the new exhaust. I'm guessing two factors may be at play. The FP3 map runs it a bit richer and I'm riding it a bit harder since the bike seems to have a boost in performance. Don't care; it's more fun to ride now.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:39 PM
Lawrence Dolha
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justcruising
I also have an accuracy issue with the fuel guage on my 2018 Deluxe. I can fill it to the recess and it has only read full a few times, sometimes for a few minutes then reverts back to just above 3/4. Falls pretty quickly to about 1/3, then sits there FOREVER until eventually progressing to a low fuel light. I rely on the trip meter for refuelling like most people but the gauge seems to be getting worse. I have wondered if I just run the tank level RIGHT down, it might relearn it’s actual capacity or self calibrate the gauge?
I also have a 2018 Deluxe with, exact same problem. I have had it checked at my dealers and they said that they checked all its settings and they were fine. This was in March of this year when I had my bike in to have a dent repaired on my tank. They had to take everything out of the tank to repair it. I also found out that HD has changed their fuel gauge in their new models. I didn't ascertain if the new units would work on my bike, but I plan to. You might want to check with your dealer as well.

The following users liked this post:
justcruising (06-20-2022)