Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil bud oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017 | 08:12 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThunderTruck
Just got back into riding after a 30 year break and my first Harley, an oil cooler was on my list for winter projects. Thank-you for posting this as I'm spending a lot of time reading about what products are best. Appreciate the great pics!
Check out the UltraCool:

https://www.ultracoolfl.com/

Old 12-08-2017 | 09:48 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

DAYUM! I would get this in a heartbeat but I regularly use an ATV lift to dolly my bike around my garage on an almost daily basis to include winter storage and I would be afraid of damaging the cooler! That is if it does not sit below the rails but up in between them. then I would be good to go!

Old 12-08-2017 | 09:54 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
DAYUM! I would get this in a heartbeat but I regularly use an ATV lift to dolly my bike around my garage on an almost daily basis to include winter storage and I would be afraid of damaging the cooler! That is if it does not sit below the rails but up in between them. then I would be good to go!
This brings up a good point.
How would this oil bud effect being able to lift the bike with a jack?

Old 12-08-2017 | 10:04 AM
Mike@FoxRiverCycle
Former Sponsor

the cooler fits between the frame rails.still able to use a lift.i had bub make one for my roadglide with the s&s t143.it works great

Old 12-08-2017 | 12:01 PM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser

Take a good look at how the oilbud is made. I would be much more concerned about rocks and pebbles causing damage/fluid loss to a rad like the ultra. It is kinda cute though, reminds me of the rads I have on my computer, except those are bigger

Something moving fast enough to damage the oilbud would core the motor, so at that point you would have bigger problems.

Old 12-08-2017 | 12:20 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHHBadkarma
Take a good look at how the oilbud is made. I would be much more concerned about rocks and pebbles causing damage/fluid loss to a rad like the ultra. Something moving fast enough to damage the oilbud would core the motor, so at that point you would have bigger problems.
I think it would be less likely that damage to the oil cooler would happened behind the front fender than under the bike.
Of course that's only my opinion.

If I do install an oil cooler I'll be going with the Ultracool, not just because of how it mounts but because of the fan assist.
Also it's $150 cheaper.

I don't see a real need to have an oil cooler while cruising above 35 mph.
Let's face it these are air cooled engines.

I think the greatest benefit of having an oil cooler is sub 35 mph in stop and go traffic.
Even then I really question the real benefit of an oil cooler.

Last edited by Bluraven; 12-08-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2017 | 12:40 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I think it would be less likely that damage to the oil cooler would happened behind the front fender than under the bike.
Of course that's only my opinion.

If I do install an oil cooler I'll be going with the Ultracool, not just because of how it mounts but because of the fan assist.
Also it over $150 cheaper.

I don't see a real need to have an oil cooler while cruising above 35 mph.
Let's face it these are air cooled engines.

I think the greatest benefit of having an oil cooler is sub 35 mph in stop and go traffic.
Even then I really question the real benefit of an oil cooler.

Keep in mind the oil bud is NOT a traditional radiator type of oil cooler like most, it is built more like a heat sink, the air flows across it just like your cylinder fins, not thru it like a traditional radiator or standard oil cooler, there for it is far stronger, plus it is tucked up between the frame rails and does not effect jacking at all. Is it more expensive than others, yup sure is. Hold it and compare it to any other brand, you'll be amazed at the quality difference, and happily pay for it.

And FYI if your thought process on when you do and don't need an oil cooler on air cooled engines held any weight, air cooled aircraft that always have an adequate airflow across them wouldn't need oil coolers right? Yet they all have them...... because as load and or rpm increases combustion temperatures increase, which of course immediately raises oil temps.

Last edited by skid_pimp; 12-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2017 | 12:59 PM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser

Air and oil cooled engines do benefit from a cooler for sure. Just an example, stop and go traffic my 110 (with exhaust and dyno tune) would reach 256 measured at the oil tank with the HD digital dipstick.
after I installed the cooler and did the same treck in the same 90 degree weather my temp was down to 226. That was in city traffic
My afternoon runs through the local canyon, by the time I get back into town and hit the first traffic light my oil temp is only 216. That's from the constant air flow over the cooler vs stop and go.
Now granted there is no data logging to prove this just the readings from the dipstick but those temps are a vast improvement over stock and good enough for me. So that should give you some info to go on. I'm happy with the oilbud cooler I have, no wiring, no electrical draw nothing to worry about.
From what I've read the Ultra Cooler works well also. Anything is better than the HD and Jagg coolers those aren't worth much at all.

Last edited by CHHBadkarma; 12-08-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2017 | 03:13 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CHHBadkarma
Air and oil cooled engines do benefit from a cooler for sure. Just an example, stop and go traffic my 110 (with exhaust and dyno tune) would reach 256 measured at the oil tank with the HD digital dipstick.
after I installed the cooler and did the same treck in the same 90 degree weather my temp was down to 226. That was in city traffic
My afternoon runs through the local canyon, by the time I get back into town and hit the first traffic light my oil temp is only 216. That's from the constant air flow over the cooler vs stop and go.
Now granted there is no data logging to prove this just the readings from the dipstick but those temps are a vast improvement over stock and good enough for me. So that should give you some info to go on. I'm happy with the oilbud cooler I have, no wiring, no electrical draw nothing to worry about.
From what I've read the Ultra Cooler works well also. Anything is better than the HD and Jagg coolers those aren't worth much at all.
I've had similar results on 3 different bikes with oil buds.

Old 12-10-2017 | 09:41 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

This would be my next pick for an oil cooler.https://www.ultracoolfl.com/shop/har...rs/the-reefer/

Had an oil bud on prior to this past summer for 7 years, but grew tired of this and that happening with it and the threads literally stripped out of the adapter plate and it was leaking so it was **** canned. Not currently running an oil cooler now.

Quick Reply: oil bud oil cooler install