Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Backrest Mod for Fat Boy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rider Backrest Mod for Fat Boy Lo

Had some time today to work on adding a backrest to my Fat Boy S. The backrest is from an Ultimate seat which I purchased from a forum member. The seat is waiting to be shipped to Mean City Cycles next week to have some of the back shaved off for hard saddle bag clearance and slightly lowered as well as adding heat to it. I also want to have my stock seat modified lower and further back, but also want a backrest option which seems to be Grasshopper only unless you go with Utopia which is done using the passenger seat. Since I already have the Ultimate, I decided to make it multi fit. The bracket is made from 304 SS and I will be making some knurled brass ***** for it when I get a chance. It has a slight ability to flex back due to having it mounted on top of the seat and fender bib, but not enough to effect anything. Will test it tomorrow morning. Supposed to be about 30 degrees. Don't suppose it will make me any warmer?

Bracket attempt 1

Bracket attempt 1 sits backrest too far back

Bracket attempt 2

Bracket attempt 2 places backrest perfectly where it needs to be

Old 12-04-2017, 06:47 AM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks to me that as you lean against the backrest, There will be stress on the fender where the two bolts go through. I'm guessing the fender will flex enough to crack the paint. If enough pressure is put on that fender, eventually you may have some "metal fatigue" cracks in the fender itself. Hope I'm wrong about all this.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fox chaser
Looks to me that as you lean against the backrest, There will be stress on the fender where the two bolts go through. I'm guessing the fender will flex enough to crack the paint. If enough pressure is put on that fender, eventually you may have some "metal fatigue" cracks in the fender itself. Hope I'm wrong about all this.

Yeah, that was a concern, but am making a rack which extends to the rear passenger mount screw which will tie into the back rest bracket. When that isn't on the bike there will be a steel decorative strip which does the same thing. Just haven't designed it yet. Wire EDM contoured and CNC finished. I love brushed SS about as much as gloss black! I want an option for removing the hard bags and have a sissy bar back pack which when placed on the fender bib, can scuff the paint. It just needs to be elevated about a half inch to keep it from touching. Just don't like the look of the passenger seat on the bike and also other than my 9 year old, never carry a passenger. Wife is terrified to ride on it. We'll see if I can get her on it this spring?

Old 12-04-2017, 07:06 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I recognize that seat and backrest. Hope it works out for you.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by uklauren
I recognize that seat and backrest. Hope it works out for you.
Hey Lauren, Love it! Unfortunately after a few rides I noticed the corner of one of my saddle bag lids was starting to dull out where the seat was slightly touching while I was on the bike. So it is taking a trip to Mean City for a little removal and some added heat which would have been nice this morning at 27 degrees. You were absolutely right about going with Ultimate. Should have done it when I got the bike. But then I wouldn't have your perfectly broken in seat and saved a few bucks. Thanks again!

Old 12-04-2017, 03:08 PM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry. I had to get off the computer too quick. (dog had to go out to take a "honda"). I suppose you could put a 3/16" x 8 or 9" backer on the inside of the fender for added support.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:44 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fox chaser
Sorry. I had to get off the computer too quick. (dog had to go out to take a "honda"). I suppose you could put a 3/16" x 8 or 9" backer on the inside of the fender for added support.
That's funny! Take a "Honda". My 86 VT1100 doesn't think so, but is in pieces right now, so probably doesn't care. I've had her for 25 years so I just as well will keep her.

The current bracket is 3/16" thick and would be remade something like the cad pic. I just don't know if I'm going to shape it or engrave it yet? I think it will displace my weight equally enough to not stress the steel or effect the paint? Also thinking about making it function as the base for a rack when needed. Maybe just a few tapped holes or locators for some bent tubing to be attached. I don't know if I'll ever get to it or even change my mind by the time I do. I build automated equipment for a living from the CAD all the way thru to programming the PLC when finished and honestly as any other job, it is no longer considered fun to fabricate and make parts. But winter is upon us, and maybe I will spend some time on the weekend making some stuff? Will get me away from my 2 young daughters which as cute and adorable as they are, could be mistaken for demons on numerous occasions.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Forgot the drawing