Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe lowered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 AM
Ranger Rick
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Softail Deluxe lowered!

For anyone that has lowered their bikes! Test rode a bike that has been lowered 2'' and with not being experienced with a lowered bikes I did get some scrape on making a turn. Love the look but not sure it's worth the safety concerns! Do you get used to the maneuver limitations or have you just returned your bike back to specs? Appreciate the input!

Ranger Rick

Old 11-29-2017, 06:58 AM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a 16 Deluxe, I lowered it 1 inch front and rear, no problems at all, I don't ride aggressively. Progressive customer/tech service didn't recommend more then 1 inch drop.
I went with 422's in rear and Mono tubes in front, bike rides much better and no nose dive in braking.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 AM
dsalazar63
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

I lowered my deluxe and love the look. I did this temporarily until I can afford to do an air suspension. I have 2 kids going into college so it was obviously more economical for me to lower it right away and slowly save for air.

Anyway, I did the progressive drop in's in the forks and the bushing kit from Dead Creek Cycles. 2" up front and 1.5" in the rear. Honestly, it did change the ride, but it's not bad at all. Its just a little sharp over bumps in the rear but nothing that would make me want to return it to stock. The front is perfect, no more nose diving when braking. I've only scrapped my floor boards 1 time, like the poster above, I'm not a real aggressive rider. I like to drive slow and low......

Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

That there is a good lookin' ride dsalazar!

I like the look, but not the result. Here in Central California at the base of the Sierras, there is some of best curvy roads around. Not much traffic, and spectacular scenery. I've kept my Deluxe at stock height, and even tho I am far from aggressive in my riding (I get passed by most sport bike riders that come from behind), I still scrape the 'boards frequently.

Some day, I may put the air ride on the rear, so the bike can be lowered for in town cruisin'.

The following users liked this post:
dsalazar63 (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Lowered 2" front and rear on my Slim. If you learn to use your body more in the turns you don't really have an issue. Just watch this video of the bike in Colorado.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:24 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Might want adjust the preload on your shocks. Most of my scraping on the Lo went away after I put few turns on them.

The following users liked this post:
dsalazar63 (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Ranger Rick
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys good stuff!

Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 PM
Soletgobelet
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkinner
I have a 16 Deluxe, I lowered it 1 inch front and rear, no problems at all, I don't ride aggressively. Progressive customer/tech service didn't recommend more then 1 inch drop.
I went with 422's in rear and Mono tubes in front, bike rides much better and no nose dive in braking.
Hi
I'm thinking of lowering my Softail Deluxe 2006 1" front and back just like you did. What kits do you recommend to use for both back and front? I often ride with my girl in the back. Want to make sure it stays as smooth and safe as now with stock settings.

Also I see "422's" and "422" mentioned here and there... Is there two kinds of 422? If so what is the difference?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jkinner
Did the exact same thing to my Heritage. MUCH better than stock and I would never go back. Plenty of clearance.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Soletgobelet
Hi
I'm thinking of lowering my Softail Deluxe 2006 1" front and back just like you did. What kits do you recommend to use for both back and front? I often ride with my girl in the back. Want to make sure it stays as smooth and safe as now with stock settings.

Also I see "422's" and "422" mentioned here and there... Is there two kinds of 422? If so what is the difference?

Thanks!
As the poster said.. he has Progressive mono tubes in front. There are Progressive 422 and 422 RAP. The RAP version has a **** that allows you to change preload by turning it.

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe lowered!