Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big city thundermonster baffels

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 PM
rcmty
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: big city thundermonster baffels

When I ordered mine from T.M the man told me to mount mine 6 inches from the tip back up into my exhaust that would be the sweet point for my type of exhaust. I did and I love the performance & deep sound. My orginal baffles was mounted 21/2 inches from the tip so I drilled new holes for my T.M and I have no regrets would do it all over again.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: amighjm6

did you guys install the thundermonsters in the same location as the stock baffles at the end of the pipe, or did you actually drill new holes and install them upstream further like is recommended...i'd rather not drill into my pipes if i don't have to.
I drilled new holes in the pipes, but not the heat shields. No biggie.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:01 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the same thing here. Took the heat shields off, measured 6 inches from the end of the exhaust, drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the pipes, mounted the baffles, put the heat shields back on and LOVE the sound!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
NightHog
Novice

I just pulled the baffles out of my V&H big radius pipes and they are really loud, but sound awesome. The bend in the pipes are enough to create back pressure for the motor. Have a buddy that did the same and has been running that way for awhile and has ran into no problems.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

I have the same Stage 1 set up except I have SE 2 pipes. Just install the BC baffles you will be fine.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: amighjm6

did you guys install the thundermonsters in the same location as the stock baffles at the end of the pipe, or did you actually drill new holes and install them upstream further like is recommended...i'd rather not drill into my pipes if i don't have to.
TC instructs you to locate the baffle a minimum of 3" from the muffler outlet. You're about guaranteed to have to drill new mount holes in your tail pipes

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
bak n blak
Advanced

I've been running baffle-less in my V&H BR since installed, I've thought about the BC, nighthog, did you have the BC's in before you removed or just the stock? I like the sound w/out, but would like a little lower roar. Do you still get that "racking off" sound w/the BC's? The barking when you let off the throttle?
thanks
rob

Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got to tell you guys, if you have basic engine mods like a BB kit with cams, your results may surprise you in a bad way.
My bike lost all of it's low end and mid range.
I run a 95" flat top with 204 cams and head work.

They may work just fine with a standard engine combo with an emissions cam, but when you start changing cam timing, those baffles are a major step down.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: George C

I got to tell you guys, if you have basic engine mods like a BB kit with cams, your results may surprise you in a bad way.
My bike lost all of it's low end and mid range.
I run a 95" flat top with 204 cams and head work.

They may work just fine with a standard engine combo with an emissions cam, but when you start changing cam timing, those baffles are a major step down.
I'm interseted in what kind of HP & Tq #'s you make with your build George.I have the same build with the TM Baffles.My #'s are 90 Hp and 102 Tq.I never tried it without the TM's Just curious if they are really costing me power.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

I never got a dyno sheet with my build.
You know the drill, the dealer had the dyno down for repairs when my bike was due to get it's turn, and then they welched on giving me a sheet at my 2500 mile service because they "didn't get to it yet". Of course, that was at 2:00pm when the bike was to be picked up at noon...
Pisses me off. For what I spent there, I want my $hit done on time and promises kept without fail..

This is a seat of the pants observation, but I can tell you, it isn't one of those close calls. The TM's killed off all of my low end in a way that even a dead person could tell. I tried them at the end, 4" in, 6" in. You name it, I tried it.6" in was the best, but still nowhere as good, or sounding as good as the stock baffles.
Lots of people seem to like them. For me, they were a major step back.

I'm going to get it tuned up next spring (at a different dealer) when I change to new pipes. No sense getting it done now...

Quick Reply: big city thundermonster baffels