Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the Sport Glide yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:41 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,163 Likes on 353 Posts

Customers walk right past these "softails" from what I've seen...the newbs head to the sportster lineup while the seasoned riders eye up the touring line. Those bikes still look like Harleys. Unfortunately the tourers share the Milwaukee 8 which is now showing problems in the softail bikes as well. The 110 twincam was problematic from the start but the 96 & 103 were solid engines. I think Harley missed the mark completely with this redesign and the bikes just look like cheap-*** toys. Have you seen the handlebars on a StreetBob? Looks like the **** they spray on pickup truck beds for crying out loud....Whatever happened to the fit and finish Harley was known for and proud of? If competing for sales against Indian (Polaris) is their intended goal I would say they've clearly hit their mark.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:48 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Best fit and finish I've ever seen on new HD's actually.
Over 30 years on them!
Let me guess you ride a TC ?

Last edited by badcooky; 12-03-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:36 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,651 Likes on 6,672 Posts

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times. For every person they have alienated they have gained someone someone else. The bikes are selling. It is more of each bike has a different target compared to in the past the bikes were not very distinguishable from each other. As much as I dislike the fat bob, I appreciate it being different than everything else. The people that want something that is more of the same are sixty, seventy, and maybe eighty years old. That’s why the touring models aren’t changed very much.

As for as teething, the early twin cams were not without their own problems. It happens every time a new engine is introduced. The difference this time is the internet. Let’s also not forget that the 110” twin cams had higher failure rates than the 96” for example, mostly having to do with lifter failure and heat.

Sure, there are some things I don’t like about these new bikes. There are also a lot of things I do like.

I have a bike that suits me nicely with its simplicity and feel, but that doesn’t stop me from not appreciating the new stuff even though they are not exactly for me, in stock form. Let me say that again. In Stock form.

You are seeing your buddies walk past the Softails and to the touring bikes because you / they are old. In a few years, they will walk past the touring bikes and to the trikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prot:
Kendoji (12-10-2017), Rakthi (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Barf....looks like a Kawasaki and a Triumph had an illegitimate child.

The new "Harley Strategy"..."Check out our bikes...they're built from designs stolen from everyone else"

The 2019's will surely resemble transformer robots in one way or another in order to "attract millennials"...good luck Harley.

If the 2018's represent Harleys' future; my next bike will be a Triumph or an Indian.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 12-04-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Anyone who's a first time HD buyer has ridden a jap bike on the street. usually a 600CC or whatever. They walk right past the softails over to the sportster section because first and foremost, the price.

A motorcycle is a toy, a hobby and HD demands big coin so someone sees 883 or 1200 and they automatically think "must be fast since it's a 1200". Little do they know a Smart Car could whip them in a race with ease.
HD's are slow and unless you've done some research and actually ridden one you have no idea.

I've seen it a hundred times. Sportsters are all over the place for sale with less than 1500 miles. Uncomfortable, small and gutless. not to offend anyone here who has a sportster, more power to ya but people buy bikes based on price.

Military kids are the biggest buyers of sportsters, 0% down for active duty, small paychecks and affordable American Muscle. My son who's currently deployed tells me about 5 of his brothers have sportsters, one has a new Fatboy. The others are planning to trade theirs in on bigger models when they come home and can afford it.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

"must be fast since it's a 1200"

Yep, I test rode a "Street 500"...what a piece of junk..I was ready to drive it into the ditch and walk back to the dealer.

883 sportster...overpowered bicycle.

1200 sportster...way to expensive new, but used it's acceptable for an around town, errand type bike.

To me, a Harley is a big iron bike...it's a 1950's tractor..lost of heavy metal and enough torque to uproot a stump; but you're not going anywhere fast. They're boulevard cruisers; unique in sound, style, and ride feel...which is why it breaks my heart to see Harley change the bikes to "attract millennials".

The problem with "millennials" isn't the style of the bike; it's the "millennials" themselves..they didn't grow up riding motorcycles, they're broke financially as a group, and Harley's are "their parents motorcycle".

Harley did a FANTASTIC job marketing to the boomer generation; but it's not going to work out the same way with the Millennials; no matter what Harley does.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 12-05-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Horseschit I grew up around HD's, my older brothers and their mates had pan's and WL's when I was a whippersnapper, I've owned 2 Shovels,3 Evo's,one Twinky(junk) and an M8 Street Bob and these are the best looking since the Pans for me.
The fit and finish and the way they ride and handle is top notch.
They're just a bit quiet stock.

The following users liked this post:
Kendoji (12-10-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 1,465 Posts

[QUOTE=badcooky;16885052] Twinky(junk)

Like you so eloquently put it before, bullshit.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 12-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I will see one this week in person. Harley has a 5" wind shield option for the faring now. From only looking at pics I bet a 7" recurved shield would do a nice job and I bet the after market will have one soon. I'm not real happy with the 3 color choices, the dark red one has a tint of brown in it, bugs me. my son calls is a brown bike, but to me it's still more red. I'm cautiously looking forward to seeing it.
The FLSB will have many more color options in 2019, color chart is available on here somewhere. I went Vivid Black, gonna be my first black HD of 8.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
But what is the target for this bike? Dyna buyers perhaps?
To me it looks like a bike someone who wants to own a bagger but doesn't have the cash. I dunno, maybe I'm way off.
i have the cash for a touring bike but bought the sport glide for savings in weight and the fact it’s convertible so I can have a naked bike also. I don’t care for radio on motorcycles. Also love to have my head in the wind, behind full fairing it’s always turbulent for me.

Last edited by Maccam26; 06-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rbouillion (06-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Saw the Sport Glide yesterday