Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help, first post

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005 | 01:51 AM
KBES BAGGER
|
Road Master
Default need help, first post

Alright, I have an 03 fat boy that is driving me nuts! Everything was good up untill the other day I noticed that when I am in nuetral the primary is screaming loud, kind of like a wine. Pull in the clutch and it does not change, soon as you drop it in gear it goes away. When you put it back in nuetral it will stay noise free till you let out the clutch. I pulled the derby and inspection covers last night to check things out. The fluid level was fine, the chain was a little loose, so I adjusted it. Did not change anything. Any help, thought's suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks KB

Old 10-15-2005 | 10:15 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: need help, first post

You may want to check out the primary adjusting shoe. They do crack or break and this could be what's causing the noise.

Old 10-15-2005 | 01:36 PM
Mike05
Tourer
Default RE: need help, first post

I'm not a professional mechanic but would like to input some thoughts .....

1. I imagine you would have seen something mechanically wrong when you had the primary cover off.
2. Since the primary chain runs all the time and noise is not present all the time then it maybe its not in the primary setup.
3. Pulling in the clutch in does not stop the noise.
4. If the clutch does not fully disengage you can still have things turning in the tranny.
5. Shifting into gear does stop the noise. This may also stop some spinning goodies in the transmission.
.....Hummmmm......
6. Since it says quite while in gear and quite when shifting back to neutral it may not be a clutch problem.
7. Releasing the clutch after shifting out of gear could put shafts and cogs back into motion in the transmission.
8. Could be low or worn out tranny fluid or maybe some worn gears or bearings.

I would start by making sure you have good lubricant as well as the proper amount in the tranny.

I hope it's something as simple as that......

Good Luck