Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Warranty Thread - because we are tired of the warranty warnings posts in every exhaust thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018 | 12:36 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by artsbest
I don't understand why HD hasn't taken more consumer backlash for their warranty strictness. I mean if one buys their $30K bike(s) then WHY are they being a-holes to their customers when they try to minimally improve their very own bought and paid for asset, an HD motorcycle? What way is that to treat a customer???
While it's true that in the past, they were really lax approving warranty repairs.... For whatever reason(s), that has changed.

I don't agree that enforcing the terms of their written warranty makes them "a-holes".

If you pay for a 30K motorcycle, it's yours to do what you want... but the warranty is in writing, you know what you are buying and what you are getting into...

They made a product, that they designed to perform within certain parameters. You want to modify it to perform outside those parameters, and then expect them to cover your performance enhancing modifications...? Smacks of entitlement to me...

Either pay to play, or follow the warranty restrictions until it's over... The MoCo doesn't owe you anything other than what they put in writing, in their warranty.

I modified all of my Harley's (except my 2012 bagger) within a year of purchase. I knew full well I was accepting responsibility for any engine failures because of my mods. I was lucky and never had an issue. That included early mods to two Shovel heads, one EVO, and one Twin Cam....

But today, if I bought an M8, with the potential issues they can develop, I would maintain the warranty as long as possible....

Just my $0.02....

Last edited by hattitude; 03-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Kyle (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018 | 12:09 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Toner123
If the part is not epa certified then it voids the warranty. Same thing with the tuner. The map has to be epa certified. Some will argue this, and I really don't care.. I spoke to HD warranty department and that's what I got from them. Some will also argue this and say it's not true about the warranty and there is a law protecting us from them voiding the warranty. I was one of them also until I realized how HD was spinning it.

So I will explain. When I brought the law up to the warranty department, the lady was fully aware of it. If you put a part on the bike that is not epa compliant, that makes the bike in HD's eyes for competition use; since all vehicles on the road must meet federal epa requirements. The warranty in the owners manual clearly stats they don't warranty bikes for competition/off road use. So could this be fought in court if you had the money? In my opinion, absolutely. Just requires you to admit in court that you broke federal epa law and risk the big *** fine. Which is more then a new motor.
Sir that is the most consistent well thought out post I have seen on this issue. It is really pretty straight forward but folks drag in what some tech told them or some dealership. HD sets the rules and if we want warranty protection we must follow them.

Old 03-06-2018 | 03:58 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer

The simple answer is the Consent Degree that HD negotiated with the Government. It does not allow HD having a blind eye to warranty if the bike has been modified out side the parameters of what has been EPA sound and emission approved.

Old 03-06-2018 | 04:26 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
The simple answer is the Consent Degree that HD negotiated with the Government. It does not allow HD having a blind eye to warranty if the bike has been modified out side the parameters of what has been EPA sound and emission approved.
The thing that makes that not simple is that I believe the "decree" only says HD is required to void powertrain warranty claims if the TUNER used is not EPA compliant.

Everyone else is saying that it clearly says in the manual that they will void it if any non-EPA part is installed (or whatever it says.) It actually says "may" void and they haven't been enforcing that forever.

So it's not simple. It's everyone just interpreting things (me included.) It would be nice if they released something more clear, but maybe they want to keep everyone confused for whatever reason?

EDIT - And believe me, I don't know crap!

Last edited by SgtThump; 03-06-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2018 | 05:25 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SgtThump
The thing that makes that not simple is that I believe the "decree" only says HD is required to void powertrain warranty claims if the TUNER used is not EPA compliant.

Everyone else is saying that it clearly says in the manual that they will void it if any non-EPA part is installed (or whatever it says.) It actually says "may" void and they haven't been enforcing that forever.

So it's not simple. It's everyone just interpreting things (me included.) It would be nice if they released something more clear, but maybe they want to keep everyone confused for whatever reason?

If they did that folks would still push the envelope. You buy their product , so they set the rules. It’s really pretty simple. Frankly I look at it like a crap shoot. You roll the dice just like you roll the dice each and every time you ride your bike.

Old 03-06-2018 | 07:42 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hattitude
But today, if I bought an M8, with the potential issues they can develop, I would maintain the warranty as long as possible....

Just my $0.02....
Believe me, I understand this

Old 03-07-2018 | 07:54 AM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Even if it did say that it was the tuner that voided the warranty, then you still are putting non-epa compliant parts on that makes the bike perform differently and nothing to compensate for them. If you install the big intake and v&h short shots (or whatever) you're going to need a tuner that is non-epa compliant to compensate for them properly. So I guess then you're running the risk of them saying your equipment w/o the proper air fuel ratios caused the damage. It's easier to just understand that if a part says "for offroad use only" or "non-epa compliant" that you risk the void. I'll say my dealership has been VERY friendly with mine and hopefully that'll continue BUT if it doesn't I understand that what I installed changes the engine outside of the factory operating parameters.

Ya'll just need to ride and enjoy your bikes and stop bitching, as the saying goes if it's got **** or tires it WILL give you problems! The warranty is REALLY short compared to most anyways.

Old 03-07-2018 | 05:13 PM
SupremeHD
Advanced

I saw my dealership cranking out 18 models with Non CA compliant exhausts. When i bought mine with stock exhaust the owner of the HD shop said " get a exhaust out of state" So i take it they are really lax on it. Guess it varies talked to them after before buying tbr 2 into 1 exhaust he said "we will take care of you if anything fails and good choice on exhaust" So i feel good about upgrading.

Old 03-07-2018 | 07:02 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by John Kyle
Even if it did say that it was the tuner that voided the warranty, then you still are putting non-epa compliant parts on that makes the bike perform differently and nothing to compensate for them. If you install the big intake and v&h short shots (or whatever) you're going to need a tuner that is non-epa compliant to compensate for them properly. So I guess then you're running the risk of them saying your equipment w/o the proper air fuel ratios caused the damage. It's easier to just understand that if a part says "for offroad use only" or "non-epa compliant" that you risk the void. I'll say my dealership has been VERY friendly with mine and hopefully that'll continue BUT if it doesn't I understand that what I installed changes the engine outside of the factory operating parameters.

Ya'll just need to ride and enjoy your bikes and stop bitching, as the saying goes if it's got **** or tires it WILL give you problems! The warranty is REALLY short compared to most anyways.
I hear ya! I did go with the pro Street Tuner and Rinehart slipons assuming everything is still cool with the warranty. Hopefully, I’ll never need to find out!

Old 03-07-2018 | 08:19 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

I hear ya! I did go with the pro Street Tuner and Rinehart slipons assuming everything is still cool with the warranty. Hopefully, I’ll never need to find out!
The rineharts for the 2018 Fat Bob do indeed claim to be EPA-compliant, so you should have no warranty worries with that configuration.

They say:
NOTE: These mufflers retain the stock catalyst and are 100% CARB and EPA emissions compliant.

Quick Reply: 2018 Warranty Thread - because we are tired of the warranty warnings posts in every exhaust thread.