Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid change with Legend Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Trans fluid change with Legend Air Ride

Last winter I had my local dealer install the Legend Air Ride system on my 07 Deluxe. Its time for a 3 hole fluid change before I put it away for the winter. I've got the engine and primary changed but the air ride system blocks access to the drain plug. Any one know how much I have to remove?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:55 PM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

I would ask the dealer who installed the air ride. My 2 cents.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:28 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

You have to drop one or both shocks at the front side and you can get the tranny drained cleanly. But you can pull the plug and drain it with them both installed, it is just messy.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane T
Last winter I had my local dealer install the Legend Air Ride system on my 07 Deluxe. Its time for a 3 hole fluid change before I put it away for the winter. I've got the engine and primary changed but the air ride system blocks access to the drain plug. Any one know how much I have to remove?
With the Legend Air Ride on my Breakout, I'm able to just push the line that runs over the drain plug off to one side, it moves just enough to get a socket on the plug.

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
You have to drop one or both shocks at the front side and you can get the tranny drained cleanly. But you can pull the plug and drain it with them both installed, it is just messy.
I leave the shocks in place and run a paper towel or toilet paper roll in between them, then use a socket on an extension thru the roll to remove the plug. The tranny fluid drains down thru the roll into a drain pan.....easy and eliminates the mess!!

Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
With the Legend Air Ride on my Breakout, I'm able to just push the line that runs over the drain plug off to one side, it moves just enough to get a socket on the plug.

I leave the shocks in place and run a paper towel or toilet paper roll in between them, then use a socket on an extension thru the roll to remove the plug. The tranny fluid drains down thru the roll into a drain pan.....easy and eliminates the mess!!
Nice!

Old 12-31-2022, 01:20 PM
Bigfoot958
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can do it, just barely.

I have a 2011 FLSTC. After installing the Legend REVO-A rear shocks, I had to at some point replace tranny fluid. I was pretty pissed when I realized that when I looked under, the shocks are so close, there is no access to the tranny drain plug. But this is what I did, and I had NO MESS. You have to do it just right though. I use a motorcycle floor jack (the Big Red Motorcycle/ATV jack to be specific) with the Harley frame rail cushions (need them for softails). Jack up the bike, make sure you place the jack in a spot that will allow access to remove the shock mount nuts that are under the engine/tranny. Remove those nuts. Put a jack stand under the front wheel (prevents any tipping when jacking up the rear wheel). Then using another floor jack (like one for a car), jack up the rear tire till the swingarm just touches the bumper, DO NOT JACK FURTHER. If you look underneath, now the Allen socket in the drain plug is just barely accessible because the shocks were moved back when the rear tire was jacked up. If you allow for just a tiny bit of a tipped forward angle of the bike, when you remove the drain plug, the oil will drain out just in front of the shocks, but not on them. No mess. I was about to give legend a piece of my mind if there was not a way to do it cleanly (just barely).

Old 12-31-2022, 02:55 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Use a fluid extractor pump and just suck it out the filler hole. Put in what you take out.

Quick, easy and no mess.

The following 2 users liked this post by S.D.M.F:
jkinner (01-02-2023), Maltesefalcon (01-05-2023)