Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Deluxe anyone

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM
HeelDragger
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Ha. Yes to all above! There's just the run/kill switch....then the starter button. Don't think there's an accessory mode anymore either....

Now if I could just find my glasses....

2018 Softail Owners Manual page 59 Ignition Mode...With security fob present, set Off/Run switch to Run. The lights and instruments become operational and the motor can be started. Accessory Mode...With the security fob present, press and hold the TRIP switch. The instruments and accessory circuit are powered. The headlamp and turn signal lamps remain off. The speedometer displays the odometer functions. The headlamp can be activated by pressing the headlamp flash to pass switch. The stop lamps can be operated. To turn off accessory mode, press and hold the TRIP switch.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelDragger
2018 Softail Owners Manual page 59 Ignition Mode...With security fob present, set Off/Run switch to Run. The lights and instruments become operational and the motor can be started. Accessory Mode...With the security fob present, press and hold the TRIP switch. The instruments and accessory circuit are powered. The headlamp and turn signal lamps remain off. The speedometer displays the odometer functions. The headlamp can be activated by pressing the headlamp flash to pass switch. The stop lamps can be operated. To turn off accessory mode, press and hold the TRIP switch.
Nothing like making basic functions as non-intuitive as possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
RGpittsburgh (06-04-2020), Thingfish (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelDragger
Doh! Thanks. I guess I should read it again.

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Yup...I miss those labeled switches...even the passing lamp toggle. It's labeled at least but I miss the metal radio switch.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
No kidding. Who would have thought you would have to do the hokey pokey just to turn lights on with the engine not running.

Kind of gives you some appreciation of simpler times.

A much better implementation on these new bikes would have been a three position switch, off, accessories, and run which would still achieve the goal of being keyless.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
No kidding. Who would have thought you would have to do the hokey pokey just to turn lights on with the engine not running.

Kind of gives you some appreciation of simpler times.

A much better implementation on these new bikes would have been a three position switch, off, accessories, and run which would still achieve the goal of being keyless.
Exactly. Is this a motorcycle, or an iPhone? Now we have all functions being controlled by software and multi-function switches.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Seems kinda simple. Push trip then the headlight switch. I suppose if you own the bike you learn to do these things quickly. Would / should only be a problem for a non-owner.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ktp1598
Seems kinda simple. Push trip then the headlight switch. I suppose if you own the bike you learn to do these things quickly. Would / should only be a problem for a non-owner.
Woulda shoulda....in 3000 miles I didn't figure it out and I'd even perused the manual...although not for that specifically. You are right....We'll learn...but did we really need to? I guess there's reasons for everything....cost savings, design simplification...but I'll always miss the console switch on a big tank. Good design does not ask the user to learn, it anticipates our natural instinct and puts the right function where we would look.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

A console or other type of labeled switch would've been nice. I didn't know about the trip/headlight thing either. Maybe a "quick start" booklet?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ktp1598
A console or other type of labeled switch would've been nice. I didn't know about the trip/headlight thing either. Maybe a "quick start" booklet?
That could help. Especially for things that are long standing features that have been relocated. I'm just nitpicking my own ignorance really, but glad to learn there is in fact still an accessory mode.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Danbury Harley has not seen a Deluxe yet but when the Harley demo truck was there they did have one to test. Looked pretty nice and with bags and a shield you have a great Heritage clone. You'll need to change the seat out too.

Quick Reply: 2018 Deluxe anyone