Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Cheaps Out on $20K Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017 | 10:26 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Maybe you do clean your bike, but your technique must be flawed. Because I ride every day 365 days a year on an island in the middle of the Pacific and don't have rust issues. It rains very often, and I always dry my bike off with air when I get home and put her away for the night. But at work she sits uncovered and gets risen every day in whatever mother nature has in store for us. I don't have any rust on my bikes inspite of constant exposure to salt air, and being consistently wet down by mother nature. I use the same cleaning regimine I've used for years, with the addition of a metal sealer prior to polish once every other month.

So you sir either have a lemon (doubtful) or your technique is flawed.
Yes, there's a science to cleaning. I'm sure you have a BS degree in it.

Maybe There's a special sub-category which only applies to Harley's. My cleaning regimen seems to be sufficient for my 30 year old Honda and Suzuki that Don't have a spec of rust on either one.

Only thing I can think of is that It's an Anny. The unique seat, for example, is a total POS compared to the regular Lo seat.

Old 10-27-2017 | 11:55 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Yes, there's a science to cleaning. I'm sure you have a BS degree in it.

Maybe There's a special sub-category which only applies to Harley's. My cleaning regimen seems to be sufficient for my 30 year old Honda and Suzuki that Don't have a spec of rust on either one.

Only thing I can think of is that It's an Anny. The unique seat, for example, is a total POS compared to the regular Lo seat.
Older vehicles have very different finishes than newer ones do to environmental regulations as well as technology changes and or advances. As well as different manufacturers use different finishes and materials as well. Some changes are for the better, some are indeed less durable, but the thinking that your technique worked in one set of circumstances, there for never needs to be modified, well that sir just might not be the case.

Old 10-28-2017 | 12:28 AM
badcooky
Banned

Never seen such an awesome component fit and paint finish as on the 18 HD's they are really that good ! Models I have never really liked pop out in colors I would never ever of liked.The MOFOCO has hit it out of the park I reckon.
Top it off with awesome handling , motor,suspension and brakes these are the best HD's ever by a far margin.
And yea I owned a Twin Camfor 3 weeks and went back to an Evo and Evo's and some Shovels.
A show grade finish comes to mind.

Old 10-28-2017 | 05:06 PM
PilgrimsDad
Advanced
Default Bolts

Originally Posted by cobra23
So I was at the dealer yesterday and checked out a 2018 Fatbob 114. While sitting on the bike I looked at the instrument cluster and saw that it was secured by two plain steel button head bolts. The handlebar clamp bolts were also plain steel.

For some reason, this looked very cheap to me. Harley sales are down but bike prices are still high. So why can't Harley spend a buck and put black/chrome/stainless bolts in such a visible location. It just diminishes the look of the bike. Nice paint, cheap fasteners.

You see the same thing on softail fender bolts, mild steel when they could be made much more attractive from the factory.

I get it that the Harley model is to have the buyer customize from their catalog but, in my opinion, on a bike that costs over $20K these bolts should look like they belong.
All those bolts are grade 8, Stainless is grade 2+, so if you use stainless be very careful where you do. Your better off to coat them with clear nail polish and put Those Chromed plastic or Black caps on then. It's very hard and expensive to find Chromed fittings and the first time you use a tool on them they will rust. Harley isn't cheaping out there using a properly Hardened bolt Cadmium plated. If you don't believe me go to a hardware store buy a stainless and a grade 8 bolt of the same size, chuck them up in your vice, put your Torque wrench on them and you will see a huge difference as to when they will break.

Old 10-28-2017 | 05:45 PM
wide glider
Road Master

The above statement is 100% fact....SS hardware is too soft for critical fasteners compared to the hardened Gr8 bolts originally supplied. If you want nicer looking handlebar clamp bolts as the OP mentioned then spring for the high dollar Harley chrome bolts as they are guaranteed to meet spec. The title of this thread is "Harley Cheaps Out" and in some ways I do agree in respect to the 2018 Softails....the Heritage no longer comes equipped with a passenger backrest and all the floorboard equipped bikes have lost their heel shifters. In addition, the risers now protrude thru the upper tree with exposed threads and a nut rather than the old way of seeing just the head of a bolt. A small thing I suspect but it gives up a bit in the overall appearance and who among us doesn't like their bike to look it's best.

Old 10-29-2017 | 04:37 PM
barrachuck
Tourer

People will always find something to complain about.

When you look at the new Triumphs, pay really close attention to all aspects and expensive parts they use...and the quality. HD and Triumphs are two different bike, if you like it, you will love it. If not, you will find a million things to pick it apart.