Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Cooled Softail ( Fat Boy ) ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:31 AM
reynoldss
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

A lota rock throwers around here.

Last edited by reynoldss; 11-05-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 AM
reynoldss
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it will come a time due to the area you live and congestion where there is no choice but to be water cooled in order to sit in all this traffic. I try to steer clear of it but every once in a while your going to get caught , either in town, backed up interstate traffic from a wreck or road construction. I got caught the other day and the 18 Fatboy 114 had no issues. . Far better than my Screamin eagle Dyna 110 twin cam. It would shut down and run on one cylinder and sound like a one cylinder steam engine. Use to embarrass the crap out a me. But I say there coming. And by then they will have figured out how to hide the radiator. The extra quart and a half of oil and the oil cooler sure helped the M8 air cooled. Big Time.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 AM
sevebou63
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Not throwing rocks at buyers....just throwing wrenches at Harley Davidson. As always, just making an observation. I have always had an issue with engineers and designers. I don't believe they polled HD riders on what type of change they would like to see in the FatBoy. Rather they assume they know what would be acceptable to buyers and that is where they have gone wrong. I hope all who buy the new fatboy is happy. It is about what fits your eye. I find it curious though that the touring line made subtle changes and still maintain the HD look. You know it's a harley when looking at a glance. Glance at a new fatboy and you wonder........what is that? Disappointing IMO.

And how does this NOT look like a V-ROD....I mean.....REALLY?
Look at the similarities.....bob rear fender....Shot Gun exhaust....headlight is probably most obvious? Tank is really the only difference. Rake is very close and if you look at the posture of riders on both, it looks sooooo awkward...stiff riding position as if they are post mortem by about a week.

Attached Thumbnails Water Cooled Softail ( Fat Boy ) ???-vrod.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by sevebou63; 11-05-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 AM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of stream line like a V-Rod but other than that I see no resemblance ! Fat Boy much better looking and doesn't have that large, gaudy radiator !

Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 AM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't see them as even being close. The new design handles amazing also. There are always people who will complain About new styles. The MOCO will never please everyone but you have to move into the future as a company. You cant keep selling the same old stuff IMO.

The following users liked this post:
badcooky (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 AM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bbissell
I don't see them as even being close. The new design handles amazing also. There are always people who will complain About new styles. The MOCO will never please everyone but you have to move into the future as a company. You cant keep selling the same old stuff IMO.
Well said ! Case closed !

The following 2 users liked this post by yankees1996:
badcooky (11-05-2017), bbissell (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:29 AM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by yankees1996
Well said ! Case closed !
It is like old cars who doesn't love a 67 nova or 55 chev right. Old cars are kick *** but I love driving my new Silverado LTZ with all the tech.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

It's just ridiculous HD propaganda to keep the production cost down. Seriously, "HD's are supposed to be old school, that means air cooled!"

Yea, HD's didn't have EFI, LED's, ECU's, oxygen sensors, speed sensors, etc... either. They have them now. At the very least make some bikes with a radiator option. It's GD hot in the south during the summer.

I've got a nut roasting winter bike with an HD badge on it. I'm shopping for a summer bike now. It's going to have a different badge on it and a radiator. I love my Lo. I love the lines, I love the style. I don't love sitting at a string of red lights cooking my nuts off on the way to work and back.

My bike isn't a luxury item that gets broken out on the weekends. If I'm not hauling a bunch of stuff around, I'm riding, and I don't intend to be uncomfortable while I'm doing it.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 11-05-2017 at 12:03 PM.