Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smartphone garage door opener apps

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

My opener is Chamberlain. I picked up a mini key chain remote, the dash trip push button switch from an 07 Street Bob, soldered the wires to the terminal of the opening button on the remote. When I used it on my SB, I drilled a hole opposite of the dash trip button on the console and put the opener under the console. On the Lo, opener is under the seat and button velcro'd to the side of the frame under the seat.

Either way, no screwing around with a phone, getting off the bike, or an expensive HD toy. Pull up to door, foot on brake, hand on clutch, reach down, push button, roll into the garage.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM
delta99
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a small universal remote from Home Depot, and wired it with a relay to my high beams. I tucked it all inside my headlight housing, so it's not visible. All I have to do is flick my high beams when I'm near the house, and the door is open by the time I make it up the driveway. Here's how to do it

http://www.instructables.com/id/Inst...-to-Motorcycl/

Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by delta99
I got a small universal remote from Home Depot, and wired it with a relay to my high beams. I tucked it all inside my headlight housing, so it's not visible. All I have to do is flick my high beams when I'm near the house, and the door is open by the time I make it up the driveway. Here's how to do it

http://www.instructables.com/id/Inst...-to-Motorcycl/
Is that your instructable?

Old 10-27-2017, 04:28 PM
delta99
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not my instructable, but I followed it almost exactly, and it works great. No problems in over a year. The only thing I found was that the project box was too big to fit inside the headlight housing. I think I just wrapped the whole thing with electrical tape

Old 10-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the console switch on my fatboy... I am wondering about hard wiring the power to take the battery out of the equation.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I have a Home Depot universal opener, coded into my garage door system and I keep the remote in a magnet Harley pouch just tucked into my windshield. I just tap the button a few houses down and ride straight in.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:55 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 988 Posts

I used a Genie mini-remote from Home Depot, soldered wires
from it to a momentary switch on the console. Works great & is
not very noticeable.

hth,

T.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Gremski
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
However, on the bike, I found it was a lot less steps and inconvenience to take a regular remote opener and velcro it just behind my seat on the frame. Can't really see it, no wiring, no extra garbage on the handlebars.
Thank you everyone for your replies. I went with TeaRunner's suggestion and added velcro to the OEM remote that came with the door opener and attached it under my seat. It's kind of hidden, but you can still see it depending on the angle. I'm going with it for now, but may end up going the Liftmaster or Chamberlain route.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:06 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Gremski
The company that made my garage door opener wants to charge me $110 for another FOB, which I need to open my garage door when I come home on my (soon to buy) bike. I'd prefer to use an app w/kit instead so I don't have to park the bike, walk in the front door to access the garage/opener to park my bike (1st world problems, I know..).

Looking for some good smartphone solutions, if there are any...

Thanks!
The Gremlin

PS: sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm buying a softtail, does that count?
I does for SOME of us.

If you want to use Harley's garage door opener with a MyQ (Chamberlain/Liftmaster/Craftsman AssureLink) garage door opener, one way is to let someone modify the H-D unit. You can get it done for $50 via an eBay seller in California.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Make-your-H...-/272280228420

Old 11-18-2017, 07:09 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
What's this got to do with Harley Davidson much less Softails?
Geeze, I donno,... maybe because he's buying a Softail?

Quick Reply: smartphone garage door opener apps