Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel pops and burbles - good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017 | 05:56 PM
firefour
Cruiser

Get an FP3 FuelPak and your problems will be solved in 10 minutes!

Old 10-04-2017 | 06:10 PM
Vinman411
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp

If you don't know, I think your warranty will be partially voided with the tuner

Old 10-04-2017 | 06:10 PM
Vinman411
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp

That being said I have the FP3 and the vh big radius

Old 10-04-2017 | 06:26 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Unspent fuel being blown into free-flowing pipes where it is mixed with more air and heat, causing trace amounts of that fuel to combust there; is the phenomenon known as "decel pop". Richening the AFR will not help. This only pours more fuel into the combustion chamber where more of the unspent fuel will be blown into the exhaust pipe, making the problem worse, if anything. Most tuners have a "decel cut" or "decel pop elimination" feature, which usually just cuts fuel between certain RPMs on decel. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but this still doesn't get to the root of the problem. The fuel must be burned more completely before being dumped out the exhaust port. Only adding timing (advancing the timing of the ignition spark) most effectively eliminates decel pop. This is also part of tuning a motor to run its best. Most people only look at AFR because it's easiest to adjust and understand, but it's only half of the equation...

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 10-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 09:01 PM
badcooky
Banned

Everyone is commenting on his decel burble here and decel burble is a thing I like as it's running leaner because YOU'VE CUT THE THROTTLE but this guys bike if I read it correctly it's backfiring on the up shift FFS !!
Seriously mate get it seen to ,that could be way way lean, a leak somewhere or a timing thing .
Not being there also is a pisser as how you describe the problem may be understood differently to those reading.
Yea I just reread it get it seen to straight away!
Do not ride it !

Last edited by badcooky; 10-04-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 09:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Your bike is running lean, get a tuner and tune it...
Originally Posted by Vinman411
If you don't know, I think your warranty will be partially voided with the tuner
No think about it you change the box to a non factory or Screaming Chicken the power train warranty gone on a 17 or newer bike, the VIN will be red flagged in the moco database.

Old 10-05-2017 | 06:04 AM
FLSSBart
Cruiser

While I'm no expert tuner, I've ridden and worked on all manner of motorcycles for over 30 years with a fair number of those road-racing.

As others have already said, GET IT TUNED! Without riding it and hearing it for myself, its too hard to diagnose what the problem may be.

Full-pipes almost always require a re-tune. Its typically only when you put slip-ons on that it may not be necessary. But anytime you increase either intake or exhaust you need to adjust the other.

I've ALWAYS made it part of the "exhaust" package for any of my bikes that if I change the pipes/can I'm getting a Power Commander/rejet or a re-tune to ensure the bike is running absolutely correct. I know alot of people that just spend the money on a pipe and wonder why they are getting more popping or backfires...

In some cases if it runs too lean you can burn valves or damage your engine...

Old 10-05-2017 | 06:10 AM
firefour
Cruiser

FP-3 FuelPaks are sold at many Harley dealers in the parts department. Many even recommend them when changing pipes. It stores your old ECM program so you can always revert back to it if you need to if there is a warranty issue with a repair.

Old 10-05-2017 | 06:24 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ehummelman
However, it is popping (more like a backfire sound) quite badly on upshifts as I roll off and squeeze the clutch, especially 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifts.
Originally Posted by badcooky
Everyone is commenting on his decel burble here and decel burble is a thing I like as it's running leaner because YOU'VE CUT THE THROTTLE but this guys bike if I read it correctly it's backfiring on the up shift FFS !!
Seriously mate get it seen to ,that could be way way lean, a leak somewhere or a timing thing .
Not being there also is a pisser as how you describe the problem may be understood differently to those reading.
Yea I just reread it get it seen to straight away!
Do not ride it !
Good to see 1 person knows how to read.

Old 10-05-2017 | 06:45 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike flies
Good to see 1 person knows how to read.
+1...I initially commented earlier mentioning something about heat, primarily based on the OPs statement of the upshifting pops/backfires. Others have since contributed to this post and have disregard the OPs

"However, it is popping (more like a backfire sound) quite badly on upshifts as I roll off and squeeze the clutch, especially 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifts."

I'm also a bit perplexed on how the OP can be "OK" with the backfires/pops when shifting through 3 gears. That would irritate the crap out of me.

Quick Reply: decel pops and burbles - good or bad?