Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017 | 08:29 PM
Mike flies
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I think that's true of any backrest, but you're buying it for how it feels once you're riding it. Nice thing about the Corbin (aside from quality) is zero hardware footprint for adding or removing backrests. You can also get the whole seat heated if you need it.
Of course, but part of why I bought the FB was it looks so damned good! My wife took one look and declared, "that's FUGLY". I'm certain the Harley Hammock Touring seat and matching back rests would be compatible but after that it left a few questions in my mind. The Sundowner solo/passenger pillion looks like a nice combo but I suspect that there is no rider backrest available with the 2 solo seat combination. The Sundowner solo/passenger pillion combo for the Breakout looks a lot nicer than the one for the FB, and from the online pictures it almost looks like I wouldn't need a backrest with that combo due to the way the seats mesh together. Anybody know if the Breakout seats are compatible with my Fatboy?

Old 10-01-2017 | 08:36 PM
Mike flies
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Just needs a fat seat...
Thanks for the pic. I am not a fan of how the FB looks with the HC saddle bags. I might just do the removable luggage rack behind the passenger pillion and just attach it when the wife and I want to take a weekend trip. The windscreen doesn't look all bad, but so far I've enjoyed riding without one. It's a much more connected and visceral riding experience than the pampered ride behind a windscreen that I got used to on the ULL. It might get old when the weather changes but for now I'm digging it.

I like my hearing, so if I continue without a windscreen I'll need a full face helmet to preserve what I've got left. I was considering going with a modular full face anyway so that's not too big a deal for me. I won't be too butthurt by everybody wondering where my BMW is located.

Old 10-02-2017 | 09:52 AM
Mike flies
|
Cruiser

For anybody who cares, I asked my salesman to put the Breakout seat on the FB. It's close but no cigar, the Breakout seat is about 1.5" shorter than the FB seat. Same mounting hardware so it physically works, but leaves a gap and the mounting bolt is exposed.

Old 10-02-2017 | 10:11 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike flies
For anybody who cares, I asked my salesman to put the Breakout seat on the FB. It's close but no cigar, the Breakout seat is about 1.5" shorter than the FB seat. Same mounting hardware so it physically works, but leaves a gap and the mounting bolt is exposed.

Up to you, but I think that looks good. The Slim and my '09 Fat Bob both expose that part of the tank.

Another bonus is the stock seat will rub the paint on your tank, the Breakout seat won't.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-02-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2017 | 10:24 AM
Mike flies
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Up to you, but I think that looks good. The Slim and my '09 Fat Bob both expose that part of the tank.

Another bonus is the stock seat will rub the paint on your tank, the Breakout seat won't.
Thanks for the input, I didn't know HD had any bikes with that hardware exposed from the factory.

I'll have to think about it. I like the red stitching on the breakout seat and the Breakout Sundowner pictures in the HD parts catalog makes it look like I wouldn't even need a rider backrest as the seats themselves form a pretty stout lip -- https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...16-52000292--1. Seeing as how the Corbin is so ugly and my only other option for a real backrest is the Hammock touring seat that might be a good trade. I think I might just order a metric poop-tonne of seats from HD and figure out which I like best, then return all the rest. Too bad I can't get my mil discount from the online store! I offered my local store the business but he wasn't too excited about having all that stock sitting around and he recommended I just buy online if that's my plan.

Last edited by Mike flies; 10-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2017 | 11:07 AM
bbissell
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mike flies
Thanks for the input, I didn't know HD had any bikes with that hardware exposed from the factory.

I'll have to think about it. I like the red stitching on the breakout seat and the Breakout Sundowner pictures in the HD parts catalog makes it look like I wouldn't even need a rider backrest as the seats themselves form a pretty stout lip -- https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...16-52000292--1. Seeing as how the Corbin is so ugly and my only other option for a real backrest is the Hammock touring seat that might be a good trade. I think I might just order a metric poop-tonne of seats from HD and figure out which I like best, then return all the rest. Too bad I can't get my mil discount from the online store! I offered my local store the business but he wasn't too excited about having all that stock sitting around and he recommended I just buy online if that's my plan.
I like that seat also but the gap is a deal breaker for me lol! Maybe just get the stock seat re-done would be a good option.

Old 10-02-2017 | 04:35 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Here's a few examples. I've always liked the Slim. But I get it, it's not for everyone.

Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!-ghwmvv6.jpg

Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!-nxep6us.jpg

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-02-2017 at 04:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thingfish:
bbissell (10-02-2017), StreetBob18 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017 | 05:49 PM
berniemc
Tourer

Seat does look pretty cool.I just wish my Fatboy would come in.....been waitin 2 months now.They must be selling good.

Old 10-02-2017 | 05:52 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Smile

wow my dealer has 3 on the floor. been there for some time

Old 10-02-2017 | 05:55 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kojax
wow my dealer has 3 on the floor. been there for some time
They should work out a trade, most places I know they're gone already.

Quick Reply: Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!