Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im old school tryin to keep up with the new school, any and all help will be much app

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017 | 07:13 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

FWIW, my bike is still only 80”. I didn’t spend big bucks brining it to life. The set up I went with gives me a lot of torque in the low to mid range rpm which is where I ride. To hell with high rpm horsepower that will not be used on a daily rider. Late model twin cam Street Glides regularly disappear in my mirrors both on the straight aways and the curves.

It is easy to coax a lot more out of these old reliable engines without spending a fortune or cutting up your bike in the process.

Old 10-01-2017 | 08:00 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

when I rode my 99 Fatboy with my friends, one on a V rod an one on a Fatboy S with the 110 I didn't have any problem keeping up...rarely went over 80-85 on the highway but stop light to stop light I was right there...if there was a long stretch from a standing start the V rod would smoke us both with it's 9200 rpm.....I had a EV-3010 cam, 2 into 1 exhaust an the carb tuned for the set up an a ultima ignition.....if I had any gaskets needing replaced I would have gotten the thinner head gaskets to bump compression a little or swapped in some 10 to 1 pistons. talk to hillside, they get help you get where you want to be....I'm guessing you for what you will get for selling the TC motor you can get 90 hp 90 tq out of you motor if you can do the labor youself.

Old 10-01-2017 | 09:15 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default engine

One of the favorite motors I've put together was a 89" evo. It was an 84 electraglide classic I had bought as a wreck. After a year or so of riding I tore into it. S&S 4 5/8 stoke bottom end; Axtell ductile iron jugs; Hemi Design pistons and their hemi combustion chamber heads; a Bob Woods CV carb; Dyna ignition; but can't remember the cam. That bike was and still is a tear. Sold it years ago but it's still around the country and now owned by a 400lber. Guys show up with their new bikes(especially dressers) and come home moaning about getting spanked by an old rusty dresser. There's no way I would put an early twinky motor in that bike having to use adapters and all. Sell it and do what I did and I'm sure you'll be tickled. I've owned an 88(lame)to 95"(pretty good); 96"(lame but's now a 124 and good); another lame 96 that's now a 107 and quick. The 107 in the Crossbones is my favorite bike though the 124 in the Fatboy also fun but needs more of my attention while riding. The 89 in the dresser was such an easy and fun ride it's right up there with the 107.

Old 10-01-2017 | 11:52 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Snowyone
One of the favorite motors I've put together was a 89" evo. It was an 84 electraglide classic I had bought as a wreck. After a year or so of riding I tore into it. S&S 4 5/8 stoke bottom end; Axtell ductile iron jugs; Hemi Design pistons and their hemi combustion chamber heads; a Bob Woods CV carb; Dyna ignition; but can't remember the cam. That bike was and still is a tear. Sold it years ago but it's still around the country and now owned by a 400lber. Guys show up with their new bikes(especially dressers) and come home moaning about getting spanked by an old rusty dresser. There's no way I would put an early twinky motor in that bike having to use adapters and all. Sell it and do what I did and I'm sure you'll be tickled. I've owned an 88(lame)to 95"(pretty good); 96"(lame but's now a 124 and good); another lame 96 that's now a 107 and quick. The 107 in the Crossbones is my favorite bike though the 124 in the Fatboy also fun but needs more of my attention while riding. The 89 in the dresser was such an easy and fun ride it's right up there with the 107.
That's a very tasty list.