Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad to help out. They do the job and give the tank an old school look to boot.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 AM
Gee
Tourer

I got the rear deep dish turn signal covers in over the weekend. Already had the amber ones that I took off the Switchback installed on the front. The Switchback's turn signal front and back were Amber. So I needed to order the red lenses for the rear on the Fat Boy. Here's the installation shots of them. It's a simple process of taking a dime and popping the stock lenses off and putting the deep dish ones on. If you do get these just be a little easier on them if you have to removed them. The longer they are on the bike the easier it become to break the tabs that hold them in.

If you noticed the LB14 rear tail light in missing. That's due to the posts are out of order. I installed these just prior to digging into the LB14 connection.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:01 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^Lookin' good! What hand grips are those??^^^

Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 AM
soldierbot
Supporter
Received 102,485 Likes on 25,870 Posts

I have to say, this is the most enjoyable progress thread I have read in a long time. Love your writing style and the unique take you have in describing the process. Very well done and you bike is looking amazing.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks. I try not to get to windy in the post but sometimes I just can't help it. It just starts flowing. In person I usually don't have much to say and tend to not over state the obvious. It may be why the wife wants me to speak with a counselor but I don't see the reason why. Obviously she is the one with the problem. If I do find a counselor that has already internally wired his bars, has a dyno, or built a bike all the way though the stage 4. I'd be happy to sign up....until then if we're both alive in the morning. Then it's obviously a good morning.

I stole the grips from Puttnutt24 build. They are the Avon memory foam grips. I had the HD Airflow grips on until I saw his. You can see those in the earlier posts.

I wonder why my signature doesn't always show up?????????

Last edited by Gee; 10-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TORQUEY (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
Thanks. I try not to get to windy in the post but sometimes I just can't help it. It just starts flowing. In person I usually don't have much to say and tend to not over state the obvious. It may be why the wife wants me to speak with a counselor but I don't see the reason why. Obviously she is the one with the problem. If I do find a counselor that has already internally wired his bars, has a dyno, or built a bike all the way though the stage 4. I'd be happy to sign up....until then if we're both alive in the morning. Then it's obviously a good morning.

I stole the grips from Puttnutt24 build. They are the Avon memory foam grips. I had the HD Airflow grips on until I saw his. You can see those in the earlier posts.

I wonder why my signature doesn't always show up?????????

Just went to Avon Grips website, clicked on V-Twin and saw several. HD bikes were listed, but only Touring bikes. Found Memory Foam, clicked it, NO information or photos, just says "Coming Soon". Really???

Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Gee
Tourer
Default Avon Memory Foam Grips mf-63b-ano-fly

Here's the part number off of the package they came in:

mf-63b-ano-fly

A google search on it brought them up at couple places. I checked the Dennis Kirk link and they have them listed as fitting the FLFB. I like the grips they are a little fatter than the previous grips. Feel good.

Again with the signature not showing up. It shows up in the preview changes but when I save changed it doesn't show up. I have the box checked to show signatures. Maybe it's too big. I'll reduce the size a little maybe that will help......

Last edited by Gee; 10-12-2017 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TORQUEY (10-12-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
Here's the part number off of the package they came in:

mf-63b-ano-fly

I really like those grips. Might have to get some for my Fat Bob.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Gee
Tourer
Default Screamin Eagles 10mm Phat Spark Plug wires

The grips are nice and feel good. I am glad I changed to them.

10mm Screamin Eagle Plug Wires

I don’t think I’ve added these to the thread. I got the Screamin Eagles 10mm Phat Spark Plug wires for the bike. I’ve only got two of the four wires on the bike. To get to the plug wire and spark plugs on the rights side. The instructions call for the tank to be removed (or at least bolts removed and lifted up for clearance). The times I thought about trying it without lifting the tank the bike has still been hot. But now that I am writing this the bike isn't hot.......Okay, just went and looked and the loosening the tank will make it a lot easier on the right side. I didn't give it my full brain power to see if there might be away to do it without. Just stuck a hand in an there was not enough room at the first fitting. I’ll have the tank loosened when I install the new handlebars. I sure hope I don’t forget to change the wires out at the same time. I better make a note to do them. Damn I need a note pad to remind me where I put my notepad.

Screamin Eagle 10mm Phat Spark Plug Wires

Only half installed. Need to lift the tank to get to the other side.

Going to be defacing some chrome here shortly. Something I am having a hard time convincing myself to do. It looks so good brand spanking new.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:08 AM
Gee
Tourer

The other thing I have been messing around with is turning chrome into a satin chrome like they have on the bike. I found an old cow horn that I used for my test subject. I lightly sanded one side in circle motion and the other side in a back and forth motion to see which turned out best. After sanding lightly though the different stages of sanding blocks I had on hand. Wet sanding in stages 220, 360, 1000, 1500, 2000, & Buffing. I have come to the conclusion it would take some practice and skill to get a consistent satin sheen on a piece of chrome. I took the chrome from looking good to what the hell did I just do, okay less heavy scratches standing out, cool starting to take the shape of a satin chrome, hmm it starting to be reflective again, to I can almost see myself again. I didn’t spend much time sanding. Probably less than one minute at each stage.

A light hand on the 220g then a bit more pressure with a 320g and cleaning it u with a 500g seemed to get it close. After the 500g is started to clean the scratches up and bring back some reflection. A coarse scotch pad and or steel wool would also work.

The pictures in the collage got inserted randomly so they don't follow the order in which I sanded.

Quick Reply: Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread