Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

I like the small shield they came up with on this bike. The spoiler makes all the difference in making it effective and keeping the foot print of it down.

Here's a couple more POV photos with the shield on the bike that may help. Hardly even notice it.

POV with shield on 1

POV with shield on 2

POV with shield on 3

Get the shield you will not regret it. Riding the Fat Boy on the freeway with out the shield wasn't much fun for me. I wasn't paying full attention to the traffic all around me. I was thinking more about the beating and noise saying "**** man this sucks. Hope that shield comes in soon." My Captain Kirk impression "I......must...... get...... around.... this..... semi." When the weather is warm and I am just going across town. I leave the shield at home.

My latest skid lid has the adjuster in the back. No more of the Pair-A-Sailing effect when going over 40mph. It's held on true at the 70mph with no shield. That's a was a beating of sort, pack of smoke flew out of my shirt pocket, but the helmet stayed put. Don't need to tighten up the chin strap before getting on the freeway with this helmet like I did with the last one. Who ever designed that helmet adjuster deserves a spot on the wall next to Mr. Velcro.

Adjustable **** to keep the helmet from lifting

Adjusting **** not real noticeable from the back

When the weather is down close to freezing I use my Shark Modular helmet. back in the day I was shopping for a module. It was the only one I found that doesn't catch wind when it's flipped open and doesn't look like a flipped open modular helmet.

Modular Open and Closed - When open it flips all the way to the back of the helmet so there is no wind drag when using it open.

Yes, I am running the stock seat. I looked briefly for different seats but nothing out there yet so I tabled that effort for now. The stock isn't bad this year. It's fairly comfortable since I am use to riding around on a HD Stripper seat. The looks aren't the worst either. The worse to me was the stock seat on the FLD.

The new seat would have been better had they not changed it to a two bolt seat vs the standard one bolt. I was thinking "Cool I get a solo seat with a removable passenger when I realized it was not a one piece but then when you take the passenger off you get this.......

Right?

Okay try and picture this in a far side cartoon..

I was thinking with the rear fender off I could put the bike on the jack get it running an drop the constantly barking little mutt next door on the rear and shoot it far far away. Like a pitching machine but the tire is going the wrong way. The end result may be the same but the clean up after.......

Old 10-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Gee
Tourer

Originally Posted by adm
Thanks for this - I am considering the same screen for the Fat Bob for long riding days. Curious to know if you are feeling much buffeting with this screen as it's almost identical to the one in the P&A catalog for the Fat Bob.

Does the recurve on the tip do a good job?

I am 5' 8", but with the slightly higher seating position on the Fat Bob, I imagine my view over the 15" screen would be very similar to yours.

I like looking over the shield vs through it. When they came out with the spoiler option for the screen on the bat wing. I got one of the short ones and it did a great job. So I wasn't hesitant about getting this short one. The spoiler does an excellent job. Clean and clear view over it with good wind break for the rider. If you decide to get it. I think you will be happy you did.

and for the rest of the story....

There still is some buffeting going on but the best way to describe it is you don't notice it like you do without the screen. So if I am riding on the freeway trying so see how much wind is still hitting me I will feel it more but the last time I hit the freeway it wasn't anything that I was forced to think about. Before the shield the wind against me was one of the factors in making the decision to use the freeway or just take 2nd Ave all the way. Now with the shield fighting the wind isn't in the equation. it's just the time of day and how congested the freeway is.

Last edited by Gee; 10-02-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM
FNFAL
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike flies
More power to the guys who make that work. There is no way I will do any serious riding with a half helmet and no windscreen. It's either a full face helmet and no screen, or keep the half helmet with a screen. The wind creates too much lift and tries to rip the half helmet right off my nugget and the noise (even with earplugs) is deafening which makes any speed over 45 mph miserable.
Man I thought it was just me! There are some "firsts" at play here....first Harley/Cruiser, first half helmet. Coming from a full face helmet and a sport bike its very loud.

Reckon they will make it a smoked shield? Not sure about the clear. Also is aftermarket advisable or stick with HD?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

deleted...

Last edited by Mike flies; 10-02-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by FNFAL
Man I thought it was just me! There are some "firsts" at play here....first Harley/Cruiser, first half helmet. Coming from a full face helmet and a sport bike its very loud.

Reckon they will make it a smoked shield? Not sure about the clear. Also is aftermarket advisable or stick with HD?
Long Ride Shields are great generally. HD is fine too.

Half helmet = ear plugs for me past 40mph

3/4 helmet is fine without at any speed. Shield or not.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:20 AM
Gee
Tourer

The windshield I got is supposed to be lightly smoked.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-in-windshield
I doubt Harley will put anything darker out. There are some good companies that make shield for the bikes that will be less expensive the what the dealership charges us. Harley makes some good quality items for the bikes and they charge every penny they can for them.

I've heard good things from the long shields people. I've used Memphis Shades and they are good as well. Matter a fact I wrote them an email about where I could buy just the docking part the attaches to the bike at. They replied what you address we will ship you a set. I thought that was cool. The docking parts that attach to the bike are pretty close between HD and MS. I wasn't impressed with the docking hardware I got from Harley this time around. No chrome or stainless included. I had to rummage though my stash for some because it just didn't look right using the washers and bolts they give you with the kit.

MrNovember
Great choice of a name by the way. We appear to be on the same page here. I have the adapter also on order and found the Custom Dynamic rear light when I got home from work. Well almost I went to the 39.00 dollar version and checked out their install instructions. Number of wires were the same but color codes were different. I am going to get the dealer to order me one. They still have my money on the books. Kind of feel like I have to go to my parent and get them to order something for me. Hesitant to order my FP3 through them.
"Hey, would you order me the Fuel Pack 3 for my bike?"
"You know that could void you warranty."
"Yeah."
"Why don't you order the Screamin Eagle Super Tuner?"
"Come on, you really have to ask me that?"
"If I want to keep my job, yeah I have to ask."
"You gonna ask me if I want to buy a used rubber next?"
"No their on back order."

Need to catch up on the "paper work" from the weekend. Got my new bags tonight and mounted them but I can't tell you about it until after this weekends episode.

So let's start by rolling the clock back to the weekend............... oops a little father..........................whoa....stop.... a little too far but since we are here I may as well tell you. I went to the Scorpions concert on Friday. The Scorps have been one of my favorite bands for 30 years (actually longer but 30 sound better rounded off). Damn saying it like made me feel old and tired. The singer at 69 was spot on which I wasn't expecting and the rest of the guys where hitting it hard. The guitars were all over the stage and the drummer solo was incredible. Bunch of old guys killing it! They all played a long *** instrumental that just plain rocked the place. Before you ask No they did not play Rock you like a hurricane. They did say they we promoting a charity for the people effected by the hurricanes and showed where we could donate on the screen. I thought that was the lead into the song but they played something else. On with the show.....

Wait a minute it's past my bed time and I do feel old and tires but before I go I better at least put a teaser out there for all the Bad Boy Running Wild on their scoots..... .

Damn I think I must of Blacked out......

Incase it didn't let the last song finish and roll into it. Blackout

Don't think anyone noticed in the pictures earlier that I had the short sissy bar and pad installed the bikes. So here's the bikes coming out for an encore just like the Scorps did. Ride Free and Rock On!

Stay tuned for highlights of the next episode.

In the next episode: Gee gets in trouble while trying to get the wife to go for a ride on the new bike. "Come on babe. The new fat boys tire can make anyone's *** look smaller...." Does Gee finally realize that honesty doesn't go unrewarded. Will he find a way out of the garage or does he even want to.......Tune in to see
Special appearance by "Easy Bracket" and "Willie and Max" be sure not to miss it.

This concludes our broadcast....

It's true. Not too long ago in our Nations great history TV's actually got turned off . There was absolutely nothing on any of the three channels to watch except static. Which I think a few of us continued to watch for a little while. Hard to "Picture" isn't it.?

Good Night Ma, Goodnight Pa, Goodnight Mary Ellen, Goodnight Grandpa., Goodnig.....20 minutes later Goodnight John Boy. Whew finally.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gee:
Thingfish (10-04-2017), TORQUEY (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Gee
Tourer

This is probably old news but it's been a while since I bought a new license plate frame. I grabbed one at the dealership that had the smallest reflector on it. When I got it home it took me a little while to figure it out. They have it so the bolts are hidden now in the frame vs have a nut or bolt coming out of it on the side the plate is view from. Thought it was pretty slick once I figured out what I bought.

Collage of the parts table. Still have to install the Chrome Oil Cooler Cover.

License Frame

Saddle bag unboxed.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Gee
Tourer
Default Turn signal relocation third light reflector replacement

A couple things to note about the turn signal relocation. Make sure you have the side rail addition part securely bolted to the extension. The bolt to connect the two is hidden and the only way to get back to it to tighten it is to remove the whole rail. It's only four bolts but when you add in the quick disconnect docking points that you finally go spaced just right it's less of an adventure and more a damn it.

Harley provides with the kit the necessary pins to redo the connections but I don't have the crimper or the patience to do it that way. I cut the wire and added some more wire into the existing run just prior to the connector under the seat. I added marine grade shrink wrap over the connectors and also put dap of shoe glue at the end of the shrink wrap. Harley gives you plenty of wire but you really only need to extend it maybe 6". The longer you extend the wire past the length needed. Is the more wires you will be bunching up trying to hide under the seat. Taking up space for when you add your heated gear connectors or your GEICO how's my driving device. Yeah, right I want some insurance company monitoring how I drive. NOT.

Note: LB14 is the part number for Custom Dynamics LED light strip for the Breakouts third Brake/Running light.

If you are thinking about adding a brake/running light to the rear to replace the reflector. This would be a good time to combine the two projects. You will have the fender off and be messing with the wiring anyways. I had not collected enough information or knew what was available out there when I did mine. Now in order to add the brake/run light (properly) I get to remove the fender again and I will be removing the side rail to tighten up the extension for the turn signals. So while you might be on the adventure I am cursing Damn it. I emailed with Custom Dynamics and was provided with the way to connect up their LB14 LED Brake/Run light on the 2018 Fat Boy. I made a schematic of it and will include it below. Without any further bs here's a couple shots of the underside of the rear fender the turn signal extension added to the bike.

The way I see it there's two ways to run the wire for the third brake/run light. One is to run it under the fender from the front to the back but that mean it needs to be securely attached and protected from the tire and what gets kicked up under the fend. Fairly harsh environment to be "hanging" around in. The other is run the wire under the side rail with the other wires then at the end of the fender rail. Drill a small hole and add a grommet to it. Run the wires through it and back to the when the light is attached to the deflector holder. Unless I am feeling real lazy the day of install. I'll probably go with the second route until the blue tooth version comes out.

Wiring a LB14 from custom dynamic on to the 2018 Fat Boy.

During the email with C.D. I also inquired about the brake light strobe/flasher. I've ran one my last two bikes and feel better knowing that when I am coming to a stop or at a stop I can release and reapply my brakes to get the brake light to flash making sure I am seen. They are working on one for the 2018 models. Harley used a different connector this year.

Last edited by Gee; 10-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gee:
DanBO18 (10-04-2017), Thingfish (10-04-2017), TORQUEY (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks! Great pics and info.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Post up some pics as soon as that light is installed if you would and thank you for the info!

Quick Reply: Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread