Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:41 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

There might be a couple pictures in the post that help you Mike.

In the last post I forget to add a couple parts that got installed. One is the Mustache Engine Guard actually I think it was the very first new part on installed the bike. Pretty simple install two bolts on the bottom and the center nut and bolt on the top that connect it to the frame by the horn. Most difficult part is trying to get the nut on the bolt from inside the frame just above the oil cooler. If you are installing your Mustache Bar and get to that point and starting thinking no way. It can be done, because I accidently did it. I do have a nut somewhere down on the lower portion of the frame. When it slipped out of my grip I head it hitting metal but never saw it exit the bike. I was on the patio at that time and never saw the nut after I moved the bike. So of course now with the windshield on I hear all kinds of different noise bouncing back off it. I am sure one of them is the nut rattling around down there. To get the nut onto the bolt. I ended up taping the nut to the insdie of a box end wrench

HD Mustache Engine Guard

Harley's Mustache Bar Guard. It's cool the rubber foot rest on the bar can be removed. Didn't have that option on the the Lindby Bar.

HD Mustache Engine Guard

[
I had the Lindy Multi Bar on my old FLD. Unfortunately the lower chaps "soft lowers" that I had for the Multi Bar are a little baggy on the HD bar. Which maybe that is the look the baggers are going for but I still like mine tight. I will have ot see if the ol Lady can do something to make them fit better. I pretty much know the answer to that though. Hey, when ask your better half "Have you seen my Keys?" Do you get a "No." before you've even gotten out he words "Have you.... No." I've been noticing and increased response to the word No also. Well just turn around because we all know what irritating useless question is coming next....."Where did you put them last?" Oh hell no! Did you just really ask me that? I am frustrated, irritated, and already late and you are asking me Where I left them last. That was the first thing I asked myself and the same thing that I keep asking myself. Now what's funny when it not in the heat of the moment. With that question a quick glance around looking for the remote. They are done helping you and they feel good about the help they gave you. So I refrain from asking. I walk in, stop and look at her, as if a deep ponder thought is about to emerge, that I am finally going to communicate my feeling with her on the level she has been waiting for. I think it through knowing that she will say no and follow it up with the question. I know she's gotten me tained in a few areas that I let her train me in. But this way she don't know if it the training or the rebel that just said Never mind and walked out. Deep Left Field? Yeah that one had me out there. Back to the soft lowers. I found a place called Sage Brush Design in Canada that can make up custom items like chaps. They will add broidery work and the customer server was real great. They were the least expensive at tie. WIll probably go back with them for he new soft lowers.

The other time extensive part that I installed but forgot to mention yesterday was the axle covers. I was able to put the rear ones but the front one's need an adaprter. There isn't anything at the front axle for the covers to be installed onto.

Found a picture of the rear wheel axle covar

I made it through the turn signal relocation today and installed the quick release sissy bar on and got the "Easy Brackets" aligned up for the saddlebags that will arrive tomorrow. I am beat so I will post and comment something witty about those items tomorrow. In the mean time here are some photo that are not taken in the dark and hopefully with be of some use to Tim and maybe help him out with his shield helmet decision.

I think the bike looks tough with the tires exposed so just tossing in some eye candy.

Also when I had the fender off it gave me an idea of how to try and connect a brake light in the same spot as the fender reflector on the back. Need to find the rights size, and shaped light. Almost made it to the locale Pull and Save wrecking yard to see what I could find but never made it.

The bike just looks tough, even tougher when you pull the rear fender off.

This picture show how much room over the 15" windshield I can see. Again individual result may, with some common side effect such as weight gain, Hot Dog Finger, Simpson Bulging Eye (just one), and/or death. You probably already know I like slow walks on the beach but you may not know I am 5'10" of average build (Meaning no abnormally long torso or stubby legs that would through off the view of another 5'10" person sitting where I was sitting.)

The following 3 users liked this post by Gee:
Mike flies (10-02-2017), Thingfish (10-02-2017), TORQUEY (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Never seen a FB with a windshield before and yea it looks good !
Form following function.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking good. The engine guard and windscreen are both pretty unobtrusive. Still running the stock seats?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 AM
FNFAL
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watching intently...still not decided whether or not to add a windshield. My bud has a Road King says I should, but dont want to F up the look. That said of the 200 miles on the bike the wind has whipped me pretty good...especially with a half helmet.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FNFAL
...especially with a half helmet.
More power to the guys who make that work. There is no way I will do any serious riding with a half helmet and no windscreen. It's either a full face helmet and no screen, or keep the half helmet with a screen. The wind creates too much lift and tries to rip the half helmet right off my nugget and the noise (even with earplugs) is deafening which makes any speed over 45 mph miserable.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

I've always been glad I have my windscreen on my 2015 Fat Boy.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

I wear a Shoei RF1200 full face mostly to keep my wife happy since I ride everyday and she says she likes my jaw attached. I told her it'd be quieter if I busted it off, but she said it's not for talking silly.

Anyway, With a shield I keep my visor full open with glasses no problem.

Without a shield I close the visor at freeway speeds.

Lately I bought a Biltwell 3/4 that I wear with goggles. I've done several 130 mile rides with it. It surprisingly comfortable and reasonably quiet up to around 70. The trick to avoid lift is make sure you get the right size (snug fit on your cheeks) and it's snugged down with a tight strap. Lots of wind in the face. Noise not too bad. 10 miles on the freeway and a few 100+ mph blasts were fun too, but just for a short visit.

I tried foam earplugs, but they work too good. Crazy quiet if you want it though. I carry a few in case I need to hit the freeway for a long ride.

Might be worth a try.

never thought I'd be a hipster.

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread-ukgobqr.jpg

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-02-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:37 AM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for keeping the updates coming, gives me ideas and also insight on what to expect once my parts show up. My dealership is a small one so they didn't have anything in stock for the '18s at time of purchase.

For this, "There isn't anything at the front axle for the covers to be installed onto. "
Not sure if you are aware but you will need this adapter(which I ordered): Front Axle Cover Installation Kit Part Number 43000090, https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stallation-kit

"Also when I had the fender off it gave me an idea of how to try and connect a brake light in the same spot as the fender reflector on the back. Need to find the rights size, and shaped light"

Same thing came to my mind as I work to remove that rear fender reflector, I also want more visibility, tons of morons on their cellphones in my area, specially in the AM commute. I want something ideally flush with the fender to not take away from look and possible strobe/flash once break pedal is pressed. Was thinking of something like this:https://www.customdynamics.com/bille...eakout?cat=103

Old 10-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Gee, I really like those pics with the fender off.

Makes me want to relocate my tail lights so I can create a convertible bobber outof my Heritage. I'd mount a hugger off the swing arm, but be able to swap back to the fender and supports for carrying a passenger!! This is my new plan!!!! Thanks for the pics!!

Old 10-02-2017, 11:26 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee

This picture show how much room over the 15" windshield I can see. Again individual result may, with some common side effect such as weight gain, Hot Dog Finger, Simpson Bulging Eye (just one), and/or death. You probably already know I like slow walks on the beach but you may not know I am 5'10" of average build (Meaning no abnormally long torso or stubby legs that would through off the view of another 5'10" person sitting where I was sitting.)
Thanks for this - I am considering the same screen for the Fat Bob for long riding days. Curious to know if you are feeling much buffeting with this screen as it's almost identical to the one in the P&A catalog for the Fat Bob.

Does the recurve on the tip do a good job?

I am 5' 8", but with the slightly higher seating position on the Fat Bob, I imagine my view over the 15" screen would be very similar to yours.

Quick Reply: Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread