Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:49 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Congrats on the bike! I love these threads on what people do to make the bike their own!

Old 09-28-2017, 12:59 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats on the very nice bike! I never test rode mine either. It was going to be either the ‘17 or the ‘18 and when I saw the ‘18 my decision was made. Didn’t want to give anyone else a chance so I grabbed it right off the truck. It never hit the showroom floor. Going to consider the tank knee pads.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:38 PM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
Thanks. Sharing idea's are a part of the game here. After reading puttnutt24's thread I am switching my grips to the Avon memory foams. I bought the heck can't remember the name of the one's I bought now....Airflow grips (had to go look them up).

I put the tank knee pad kit on it from Harley

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tank-knee-pad-kit

I must squeeze the tank like a scared barrel rider with my thighs or something because the tank gets rough up in that area. Had them on the FLD and it helped keep that part of the tank from getting messed up. Not the best of clear protectant on the new bikes.

I unfortunately was cursed with my Mother's thighs and my Dads sense of humor. Which hasn't been real helpful. keeping my thighs open as a guy has been a waste of time and making jokes about the boss hasn't panned out yet. There's still time though.

EricRay there seems to be a pattern in you life. All nice bikes. I do like your current one I must say. I can't help to notice the resemblance between your first bike and the current ride. By chance did you marry someone that may be similar to one of you grade school teachers. If so I would be a little more envious. You lucky Dog.
Funny you should ask, my current wife is a teacher. I have been waiting for someone to finally start modding their Fat Boy, to give me some ideas. Thanks for the post. I will be keeping up with you.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Great read. Glad you're having fun and doing the thread. Too much bickering about bikes and years, and models, and motors lately. Nice to watch someone just dig into their ride and start smiling. It's what we're here for mostly.

The following users liked this post:
bbissell (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

subscribed

Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats on the new FB , looks real good. What type/height wind shield did you install?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

The shield is the Harley 15" wind splitter. It really works well with the spoiler they put in it. I look over the top of the shield with several inches to spare and the wind buffeting is minimal.

Thanks for the positive comment . Much different from those I tend to
get at home. "Just go spend time with your Harley. That's what youwant to do anyways! That is all you......" I'm usually out thedoor before she really gets going. Beside I sure the hell don't want to watch Project Runway. If you've ever had to suffer through it with your women. You know where I am coming from. Some of the contestant they have on there just repulse me. I mean hey there is gay and then there is over the top flamboyant acting going out of your way to be gay. PUKE and that from just the couple minutes I had to see while I said "No I don't want to watch it." .…..on the up note is Hiedi Klum aka “The Body” is the host– Oh Yeah. What a sweet.....heart she is. Heidi Klum - Wikipedia
If they kept the camera on her and muted everyone else voices out. I would watch the show.

Speaking of Heidi Klum I mocked up the batwing from my FLD onto the Boy last night. The side to side mounting hardware on Batwing needed to be extended another inch. (1/2 on each side) The side mount on the quick attached that the batwing has on it is aboun 1 inch too short to full sit in the bottom and top quick connector. To make this actually functional I would need to extend the mount down farther (easy to do) and come up with some material to use for around the headlight so there was not such a big gap above. Other than those two points it seems like it would serve its purpose. It looks decent until you see the gap up front on the headlight. Kind of like the waitress that is hot until she smiles.

Batwing of a 2014 Switchback mocked up on the 18 fat boy

Batwing of a 2014 Switchback mocked up on the 18 fat boy

There's a gap that can be seen even it it's not smiling.

(Disclaimer: I may portray the ol lady as a mean old haggling bitch but really she isn't that old.

Alright I confess, she is none of those things. She is a wonderful supportive person that is generally always happy until I get home.

I might twist it just a little to get a laugh. Why not she laughed the first time I undressed in front of her. I'm waiting for the right moment to tell her that her twin sister did too!

For the record I had Snoopy boxers on for the sister that opened the bathroom door on me and a novelty pair of underwear where your Johnson is the elephants trunk with the ol lady. So sometime it isn't just about the size it could be about what your wearing. If you want to break the ice and cool the room down at the same time. The elephant is definitely the way to go. )

Old 09-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Lol. At lest you're having fun. Keep going.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's a couple picture with some parts put on. I still have several I have to install.

HD 15" Wind Splitter shield. Works great! In these pictures it's hard to see the spoiler at the top of the shield. It really allows a smaller shield to deflect a lot more wind off you. Had a small 6" spoiler on the batwing and it was all I needed. I like looking over the shield instead of through it.

HD 15" Wind Splitter Shield

HD 15" Wind Splitter Shield POV

In the next three pictures are Airflow Grips by HD. They are nice but I have order some Avon Memory foam grips after reading PuttNutt24s build.

There is also the turn signal deep dish bezels from Kuryakn that I had on the other bikes. I order two more today that will have red lenses for the back. All I had was amber color. I had the French trim on the lights for the last bike and these deep dish fit in nicely. I like the style of them.

Then there are what I call my mutt mirrors. My handle bars on my last bike had and angle that made getting mirrors correctly positioned so they were functional was a challenge. I mix match a set of Trident Mirrors (the Stem) and the Magnum Mirror (The mirror part) both are Kuryakyn parts. I Trident stems have two adjustable point on the stem itself. The Trident mirrors were a little small so I went with the Magnum mirrors for that portion.

Kuryakn Deep Dish Bezel for Turn Signals, HD Airflow Grips, Mutt Mirrors

Kuryakn Deep Dish Bezel

Kuryakn Deep Dish Bezel for Turn Signals, HD Airflow Grips, Mutt Mirrors

Next two pictures are the Chrome HD shift linkage with the HD emblem on them. There is chrome piece that is support to cover the shift linkage that the back of this connects up to. It was straight and the gear shift has a bend in the top of it. It was left off.

HD Chrome Shifter Linkage

HD Chrome Shifter Linkage

I removed the stock mufflers from the bike and made up some brackets that attach the pipe to the frame that would work with some Screamin Eagle II slip that use to be on the 06 Low Rider I had. These SE II have the Big City Thunder Monster bafflers install. I will add a sound clip below. it.

Screaming Eagle II w/ Big City Thunder Monster Baffles
A sound clip. The SE II were added installed due to the lack of options out there for the fat boy at the time.

Can't remember where I read it (information over flow) but replacing the grips on the bike (TBW). The bike would be figuring out it idle again. It would take 4 engine cycle for the bike to do so. In the second part of the video (2nd start) the idle will go lower than it did during the first start cycle.

I have more pictures to take and parts to install.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Would you mind taking a front quarter picture of the bike with the shield on during the day? I'm trying to decide if I am going to go with a full or 3/4 helmet or a windscreen. At 70 mph and a half helmet the wind is deafening, even with earplugs it is pretty doggone loud.

Quick Reply: Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread