Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Betznjay
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil cooler cover bolt

Gee, any tips on getting the bolt off of the oil cooler cover? Mine is a booger!! 2018 fat boy s

Old 02-06-2018, 05:50 AM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I love Fat Boys ever since seeing T2.
I am thinking of trading my 18 Fat Bob for a 2017 Fat Boy S. The new ones have to grow on me. I had a 2005, 2010 and a 2016. I'm just not sure about the satin finish, wheels and rear fender. Plus I can get a even trade on a leftover 17,

Last edited by M8_Softails; 02-06-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by M8_Softails
I love Fat Boys ever since seeing T2.
I am thinking of trading my 18 Fat Bob for a 2017 Fat Boy S. The new ones have to grow on me. I had a 2005, 2010 and a 2016. I'm just not sure about the satin finish, wheels and rear fender. Plus I can get a even trade on a leftover 17,
I'm one of those guys who really like the looks of virtually all FatBoys, including the '18 which I own. I am neither offended when Harley makes (finally) a cosmetic or mechanical design change nor when they attempt to keep things as vintage as possible.

Having said that, one must REALLY prefer the looks of the '17 to pass over all the mechanical advantages of the new one. Right off the bat, the Softail platform has moved from employing Harley's worst frame design to their best. The difference is not subtle. I'm no expert in year to year changes, but the front forks are absolutely wonderful: rigid in construction, smooth and supple in ride. The adjustable rear monoshock, though perhaps vintage compared to other companies' electronically controlled Ohlins, are a near miracle, so great an improvement they are in travel and in comfort. The transmission no longer puts a rider in jeopardy of dislocating one's knee or hip while shifting; it is an order of magnitude better. The headlight is just wonderful: controversial in shape but amazing in the visibility it provides. I can finally SEE! I like the tachometer. Admittedly in the minority, I like the 240 rear, and though I loved the classic rear fender FatBoys had, I like this one too. I like the light, smooth clutch feel. I don't miss the big chrome rotary **** for ignition. Though people complain about it, I find the seat very comfortable. The single disc brake up front is MANY TIMES better than the dual disc Brembos I had on my '13 Road Glide, as is the ABS which caused chattering and poor feel on my Touring bike (and in a different league than my '10 FatBoy). I'm not crazy about the side mounted license plate; it's OK I guess. The lean angle is quite noticeably better which is nice. Ergonomically, I find it fits me well. And then, there's that engine!! I can't say anything about the 107 that I have not tried, but that 114 is a smile maker if ever there were one! My 103 had a bit more on the bottom than the 96, even though it was on a heavier bike. The 114 feels like the 96 and the 103 combined. Yet, you already have an '18 FatBob, also a bike with rather controversial looks. To each his own. Ultimately though, I love them all...

The following 3 users liked this post by TORQUEY:
2K10FBLO (05-11-2019), HarleyDEU (03-01-2021), MrNovember80 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 AM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I'm one of those guys who really like the looks of virtually all FatBoys, including the '18 which I own. I am neither offended when Harley makes (finally) a cosmetic or mechanical design change nor when they attempt to keep things as vintage as possible.

Having said that, one must REALLY prefer the looks of the '17 to pass over all the mechanical advantages of the new one. Right off the bat, the Softail platform has moved from employing Harley's worst frame design to their best. The difference is not subtle. I'm no expert in year to year changes, but the front forks are absolutely wonderful: rigid in construction, smooth and supple in ride. The adjustable rear monoshock, though perhaps vintage compared to other companies' electronically controlled Ohlins, are a near miracle, so great an improvement they are in travel and in comfort. The transmission no longer puts a rider in jeopardy of dislocating one's knee or hip while shifting; it is an order of magnitude better. The headlight is just wonderful: controversial in shape but amazing in the visibility it provides. I can finally SEE! I like the tachometer. Admittedly in the minority, I like the 240 rear, and though I loved the classic rear fender FatBoys had, I like this one too. I like the light, smooth clutch feel. I don't miss the big chrome rotary **** for ignition. Though people complain about it, I find the seat very comfortable. The single disc brake up front is MANY TIMES better than the dual disc Brembos I had on my '13 Road Glide, as is the ABS which caused chattering and poor feel on my Touring bike (and in a different league than my '10 FatBoy). I'm not crazy about the side mounted license plate; it's OK I guess. The lean angle is quite noticeably better which is nice. Ergonomically, I find it fits me well. And then, there's that engine!! I can't say anything about the 107 that I have not tried, but that 114 is a smile maker if ever there were one! My 103 had a bit more on the bottom than the 96, even though it was on a heavier bike. The 114 feels like the 96 and the 103 combined. Yet, you already have an '18 FatBob, also a bike with rather controversial looks. To each his own. Ultimately though, I love them all...
Exactly...I have an 18 Fat Bob which a lot of people don't like (to each their own). The 114 is great but I am also fine with the 107. The duel front disks on the Fatbob stop on a dime!
I also have an 18 Deluxe and I do love the changes in the frame, motor, and lights. This is the bike I will ride most.
I think I would just like to own one of the last classic looking Fat Boys to keep stripped down for warmer weather riding. I have bags and a windshield on my deluxe so I don't need them on the Fat Boy. I think the 110 motor on the S will be fine.. I can also do more other mods as more is available for them. I would put an oil cooler on it if I get it. Not a done deal but the dealer has two and I think I can get a straight trade...I would probably own a lot of bikes if I had the funds.

Last edited by M8_Softails; 02-06-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by M8_Softails
Exactly...I have an 18 Fat Bob which a lot of people don't like (to each their own). The 114 is great but I am also fine with the 107. The duel front disks on the Fatbob stop on a dime!
I also have an 18 Deluxe and I do love the changes in the frame, motor, and lights. This is the bike I will ride most.
I think I would just like to own one of the last classic looking Fat Boys to keep stripped down for warmer weather riding. I have bags and a windshield on my deluxe so I don't need them on the Fat Boy. I think the 110 motor on the S will be fine.. I can also do more other mods as more is available for them. I would put an oil cooler on it if I get it. Not a done deal but the dealer has two and I think I can get a straight trade...I would probably own a lot of bikes if I had the funds.
You already do!!

Old 05-09-2019, 01:31 PM
rykros
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gee,

I came across this thread while looking for inspiration for my ride. I love everything you've done and the way you've told this story.

I'm interested in the ape bars you got from Arlen Ness and wanted to know which specific type they are. I think they are these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ars-for-harley but I wanted to be sure so I figured I'd ask.

There's a ton more left for me to change on this awesome machine, maybe I'll share my story too.

Thanks!

Last edited by rykros; 05-09-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY

I HATE the new Fatboy wheels. Other than that, it's a cool bike.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:18 AM
BLKBETY
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
Thank for the encouragement.

Welcome to the forum KJLuke. The brackets I used were from the Memphis shade relocation kit that came with the Batwing I purchased for my previous bike. With that said though I got the front light bar installed and moved the turn signal lights to it now. Although I am not sure if I am going to keep it that way. They aux lights look good from the front of the bike but when I look at it from the side I have second thoughts about running it.

Looking for opinions on how the light bar fits/looks on the bike. Any comments on it? Tried to get a couple before and after shot that helps see the tank lift also.

I was thinking about running a chrome LED lightbar beneath the lower triple tree on mine so it blends in more. Would have to be skinny rectangle single line of LEDs I guess so the gaurd won't hit it.
what ever works though if ya need light ya need light hey. Could always plug ya wires so you can take it on and off easily mate

7.5 inch by 2.5 inch

Last edited by BLKBETY; 04-03-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:39 AM
BLKBETY
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tank lift

Originally Posted by Gee
Forgot to mention I made a tank lift and installed in with the new handlebars. It's only a 1.25 inch lift but I wanted to feel lower in the seat and the tank lift helps with the illusion. I will try and take a picture that is at the same angle of an older picture so it is easy to see the lift on the bike. I can't find any real good comparison since the angle of the picture do not line up well.

You can see the aluminum bracket for the lift in front of the tank in this picture. I have to take the tank off or move it back again for some wiring coming up and will paint black at that time.

hey mate did you loose any fuel range or notice any change at all. I have a regular 1500k ride and 2 of the stops are 300k 280 to apart. I carry fuel but just wondered if any change with the tank lift.
Thanks