Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Prices ever recover

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 11:14 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Will Prices ever recover

hmmm . . depends on the Jap bike. I bought a CBR used, rode it for a year and 1/2 and then sold it for $200 more than I paid.

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:52 PM
nikonf8
Supporter

I have never made money on any vehicle I have owned and I have had quite a few customs. When I spend this money I never had any thoughts of ever getting it back. The bike i have now has thousands of dollars in mods which give me the kind of bike I want to ride. If your buying a bike and worried about resale value your probably going to keep the bike in the garage and never ride it. buy it ride it enjoy it and what ever happens in the end so be it but you will loose every time more so when you go crazy with mods

Old 06-14-2007 | 06:46 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 3power

hmmm . . depends on the Jap bike. I bought a CBR used, rode it for a year and 1/2 and then sold it for $200 more than I paid.
Of course, you bought it used...

Old 06-14-2007 | 07:17 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain

I think Harleys being "given away" is model specific. Softail standards, Deuces, and others sporting "odd" color schemes, or super high milage bikeswill sit on the dealers floor for months, until the dealer finally gets sick of looking at the bike and lets it go for short money. Try to find a used Softail custom, Fatboy, or low milage Tourer here in New England.... you won't. This allows for a higher resale value right across the board. You guys that have the mentality a Harley is a greatinvestment, better rethink. A Harley is an expensive bike that depreciates just like anything else, just depreciatesaslightly slower....

Old 06-17-2007 | 05:42 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Ride the thing and quit worrying about losing money . H-D always held their value better than jap crap and they always will.
ORIGINAL: Crusher

Right now you have to give your Harley away if you want to sell it. Is this the end for the "Harley holds it's value" era? And why are the prices in cellar? Over production?

Old 06-17-2007 | 11:04 PM
ZD
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ultraultra

The value depends if you are buying or selling.[:@] I have an 05 ultra with so many accessories on it that I could have bought 2 ultra's. I looked at trading it for a '07 SE. The stealer would only give me 18K trade! [:@] I'm still riding my '05, and loving it. I have been getting a hard on for a RK with a carb ( for a custom conversion). Seems like an inexpensive used bike doesn't exist when you are looking for one.[:@][:@]
The problem is that when anyone is buying, they got the roarin' urgies and want one now,and they ain'tkeen on waiting for the deal they fits their budget and goals.

When anyoneis selling,theytypically have the roarin' urgies to sell for whatever reasons, and aren'tpatient enoughto wait for the buyer they want.

Old 06-17-2007 | 11:34 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

There is always an exception to the rule
ORIGINAL: 3power

Old 06-18-2007 | 04:31 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

I think you are wrong. I have failed to see a Softail Harley under 10k for one made in the last 10 years in decent condition. Used Deluxes go for at least 14k on E-bay. That is only a couple thousand less than list price. I don't know how much more you expect to get for a used bike.

If you are resorting to giving your Deuce away dont. I will give you $5000 for it.

Old 06-18-2007 | 06:35 AM
lawhd
Advanced

You want an investment? Buy Google. But you're gonna look real stupid trying to ride it to work!

Old 06-18-2007 | 09:47 AM
italfatboy
Cruiser

I think it just depends what Harley is going to offer in their future models. Rumor has it that in a few years they are all going to be water cooled. In that case, the current Harley we all own now would definately keep or increase in value.

Quick Reply: Will Prices ever recover