Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help/advice with SoftBrake Tombstone Taillight Choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 PM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help/advice with SoftBrake Tombstone Taillight Choices

Hi,

I have a 2007 Deluxe and I'd like to move the license plate, probably, to the side. And also get rid of the factory taillight housing with the mount for the plate above.

J&P have two housings which look identical in the pictures, but one says for plate NOT under the housing (340-760), and one says plate with or without bracket for under the housing (340-755).

So my question is, why not get the one where you may or may not use the under housing relocation bracket, as that will give more options. I imagine there's an opening on the bottom for the bracket? Is that opening very noticeable? Will it allow water/moisture/dirt in if I go with a side mount setup instead?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-755
or
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-760

I'm leaning towards the 340-760 housing with a side mount bracket, but I figure why not leave my options open if there's no downside to the 340-755 housing being "open" on the bottom. I can't find any pics online of the bottom of either of these housings so I'm hoping those with more experience can please advise. Thank you!

Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 PM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser

TTT.

Any ideas, please? I'm sure many members here have one of these two models. Can someone who's seen the model with the ability to use the undermount bracket please advise how it might work without the bracket and using a side mount for the license plate instead? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Look here ... This matches the 2nd link you had for J&P 340-760 ... SB-TSH says "This product allows you to relocate your license plate elsewhere for a much cleaner and sleeker look."
https://softbrake.wpengine.com/produ...light-housing/

This one SB-TSH-N says "This product is designed to be used with SoftBrakes’ License Plate Relocator for a much cleaner and sleeker look"
https://softbrake.wpengine.com/produ...ght-housing-2/

I used their License Plate Relocator to below the Tombstone so this 2nd one is the one I used but I think you'd want the 1st one

Last edited by GinsengSullivan; 09-22-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 AM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser

Thank you for the reply, GinsengSullivan!

See in the pictures they look identical, but I imagine on the one you have there's a space for the bracket to fit through the bottom? What if I had yours, but without the bracket down there, would the opening underneath be a problem? Thanks.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChiFLSTN
Thank you for the reply, GinsengSullivan!

See in the pictures they look identical, but I imagine on the one you have there's a space for the bracket to fit through the bottom? What if I had yours, but without the bracket down there, would the opening underneath be a problem? Thanks.

I dont think it would be much of a problem but I'll check tomorrow and see

Old 09-24-2017, 01:33 AM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser

Thank you very much for your help! I'd like to get your model to keep my options open, but if it has a huge gap in the bottom that will look silly, or allow in too much dirt/moisture then I guess I'll be better off with the other one. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 AM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser

TTT. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:57 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer

There appears to be a very small slot at the bottom hardly noticeable. I cannot speak to a comparison with the other model as I've never seen it but seems like it would work. I would call the people at Softbrake and ask them for sure before buying though.

Hope that helps

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 PM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser

That does help a lot, thank you! I'm probably going to go with a Kuryakyn side mount for the plate, but get the housing like you have so my options are open down the line and I could get the under taillight bracket later if need be.

Can't ask GinsengSullivan for any more than he's already done, but if someone who has one of these could post a picture of the bottom that would be really great. Can't believe there aren't already pics from all angles anywhere online.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer

Getting a pic was not really an option that helped much due to the turn signal bar just below the tombstone housing. You cannot see the bottom of the tombstone.

Last edited by GinsengSullivan; 09-27-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Help/advice with SoftBrake Tombstone Taillight Choices