Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needed new tires at 5000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Needed new tires at 5000 miles

Just had my bike at the dealership for the 5000 mile service. The dealership called and told me I needed new tires. I new the back needed to be changed, but the front I honestly haven't paid much attention other than checking the air every few rides. I told the service guy to give me a price on the Dunlop American Elite instead of the OEM 407s which was quoted at close to $900 (even more for the 407). Anyway, 2 new tires will be here from Revzilla for $336 shipped and a new No-Mar Classic will be here in a few weeks. I am all for the dealership making money, but just can't see paying that much for tires. Especially since I will average 7-10 thousand miles a year. Already have a J&S Jack and make a living as a machinist/mechanical engineer, so have all the tools to check the bearings as well as the service manual. Just have never changed a motorcycle wheel, so it is time to learn. Just trying to decide if I will change out my bearings while I have the wheels off? And if I will use HD or aftermarket? Oh yeah, going to do my own services from now on as well.

The following users liked this post:
Rosco61 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

How many miles on the bike? You should probably start thinking about bearings around 70k miles. Not sure what Harley recommends, but from experience that about the time they start going south. My riding buddy replaced his at 90k. Unfortunately he was on a trip when the rear gave out..

Old 09-15-2017, 08:25 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

There's plenty of good videos on Youtube for how to pull the front and rear wheels. Watch a couple of those, consult your service manual as needed and you'll be set. Then just take the wheels to what ever shop you want to have the new tires installed. I use the honda shop because they do good work and run me about $60 to install a set with new tubes and rim strips.

I was in the same boat. The harley dealer wanted something like $600 to order and install tires. (thats with me bringing the wheels in, not the whole bike). And they won't install tires that aren't purchased through them. I told them to go kick rocks.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:36 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy16S
Just had my bike at the dealership for the 5000 mile service. The dealership called and told me I needed new tires. I new the back needed to be changed, but the front I honestly haven't paid much attention other than checking the air every few rides. I told the service guy to give me a price on the Dunlop American Elite instead of the OEM 407s which was quoted at close to $900 (even more for the 407). Anyway, 2 new tires will be here from Revzilla for $336 shipped and a new No-Mar Classic will be here in a few weeks. I am all for the dealership making money, but just can't see paying that much for tires. Especially since I will average 7-10 thousand miles a year. Already have a J&S Jack and make a living as a machinist/mechanical engineer, so have all the tools to check the bearings as well as the service manual. Just have never changed a motorcycle wheel, so it is time to learn. Just trying to decide if I will change out my bearings while I have the wheels off? And if I will use HD or aftermarket? Oh yeah, going to do my own services from now on as well.
Changing wheels is pretty straight forward. Mounting the new tires is a pain in the butt.

I usually remove my wheels and have someone mount and balance them...both my bikes have spokes and tubes....so really a pain.

I used to remove and mount tires on my old British bikes and dirt bikes. I've gotten older and wiser and prefer to have someone else do that part. Most of the cost savings is in the tire cost and labor saved by removing and remounting the wheels yourself.

If you plan to do your own services, it's a good time to look at wheel bearing replacement and brake pads.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 74 Posts

New tires at 5000 miles?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:41 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Look around i have a shop he charges 25 bucks a tire. Some tire shops will put them on for ya call around Good luck

Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Never go through the dealer for the tire. Buy online, bring to them if needed. They wanted 280 for my e3 (not installed) when I knew I could get it online for 160.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Just had my bike at the dealership for the 5000 mile service. The dealership called and told me I needed new tires.

Anyway, 2 new tires will be here from Revzilla for $336 shipped and a new No-Mar Classic will be here in a few weeks.
5000 miles on the rear tire is a short life but I suppose it's possible.
But if the front tire is worn out at 5000 miles then something is wrong with the front end, you hit something hard or the tire is defective.

Looking back at my records on OEM Dunlops I average around 7500 for the rear and 15000 for the front and the front was only changed due to cupping not tread wear.

As for the $336 price for American Elites that seems reasonable, however $600 for a tire changer seems a lot to spend unless you're going to be changing a lot of tires.

I had the rear replaced last year and the front about month ago.
I went with Commander IIs and the online price was right at $300 for both shipped.

My local Indie charged me $330 for both and that included installation and balance. (they charge $35 if you bring the tire in)
I like doing my own work too even if I don't save any money doing it but I've changed bike tires before and you couldn't pay me $35 to mount and balance a tire.

Anyway good luck and do a review of your No Mar Classic.
I'm sure there are others out there that might want to go that route.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:34 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Wow, spent big bucks on a No Mar tire changer. It won't be that hard to do since you have one of those. Dont forget to get a balancing stand unless you want to put that ride on goo. If you have spoked wheels your going to need a balancing stand anyways and a dial gauge to check the rim runout for spokes.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 5kwornout

I have an 11 Fatboy Lo and 5300 was the best I ever got out of a tire(metzlers, Dunlops, Mitchlens). Around 35k I went from Commander ll's to American Elites and have almost 9k on them and looking like I will get another 1500 out of it. Been running 42lbs in the rear and 41 in the front. About 6 years ago I found a Coats 220 tire machine in a yard sale for 250$ and it's payed for itself many times over the years(especially when your only getting 5k per rear tire). Suddenly have more friends in the riding community. I use Centramatic tire balancers and Dyna beads for balance and it works well.

Quick Reply: Needed new tires at 5000 miles