Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/tach combo not working properly.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Train83
My turn signal indicators both stay solid on my dash, even if I'm not using them but when u do use them they flash like normal... wld that have anything to do with anything lol?
I guess it could. Maybe you should remove the LED turn signals and then try to get the speedo to go into setup mode.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Exactly what procedure are you using to enter setup mode?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Train83
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a couple different ways. First I did as the manual in box said which is holding the trip button an then on Harley's website it's says to do it by turn signal neither of which did anything. I can set the clock lol

Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

I have done a couple different ways. First I did as the manual in box said which is holding the trip button an then on Harley's website it's says to do it by turn signal neither of which did anything. I can set the clock lol
These are the steps for my speedo/tach combo. I can't say it will work for you. Follow them exactly, stey-by-step. If you were able to set the clock then you should be able to enter setup to set the colors.

SETTING CLOCK
1. Set ignition to accessory.
2. Press and hold the trip reset button.
3. Wait for 12hr or 24hr to flash and select. Press and hold the trip reset button again and the time will begin to flash. Using the trip button, toggle through the numbers and set your hour. When you have the hour set, press and hold the trip reset button again for minutes and follow the same procedure. When you have the minutes set your done.
4. Turn the ignition off.

SETTING COLORS
1. Set ignition to accessory.
2. Press and hold both turns signals until setup flashes.
3. Press left turn signal to toggle forward and right turn signal to toggle backwards.
4. When desired setting is flashing, hold both turn signals until color code displays.
5. When the color code displays, hold the left turn signal for fine (slow) adjustment and the right turn signal for course (fast) adjustment.
6. When the desired color is set, hold both turn signals to save and return to step 3.
7. Turn the ignition off.

Good luck,

Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Train83
6th Gear

Yes those are the ways I try them. I get thru the clock with using the trip button , doesn't work with turn signals an doesn't go further than the clock with the trip way. I'm gonna do some tonight an re look into my wiring just to make sure the turn signals or something else isn't stopping it from doing as it shld.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate

Weird thing, I have an 05 road king, and speedo shorted out after washing it. I bought this same tach, but the model # ends with B instead of A. Same thing except for there is no KPH on MPH. I followed the install and data link to a T, and when I would ignition I'd get a NO CAL in the LCD, and then that would go away, and it was replaced with NO SPD. It would not transfer the odometer to the new odometer. I'm thinking that if your speedo stopped working, replacing it with this type of Speedo will not work due to the inability to transfer odometer reading of a broken speedo to the new speedometer. I can't find anyone with an answer to this.

I thought this might be an issue, as the old speedo was as if it wasn't there because IT WAS BROKEN (insert Sam Kinison Tirade). Our shop service guy in Folsom checked with the mechanic, and "it's okay, just follow the directions." Engine switch on, Data Link plugged in, no go! I had the old speedo out, and was tapping it and banging it slightly, and I saw LED partially show numbers, they would immediately dim if I stopped squeezing the old gauge. Thinking the ecm possibly sensed the old speedo after doing the Fonz bang and tap on the old speedo, which seemed to allow some juice into it, so I did the transfer procedure again, and something did change this time as it just went to NO CAL, without going to NO SPD.

I'm assuming NO SPD means it isn't sensing a speedo. Well It stopped that, and the NO CAL shows. There is a red light blinking, but then after a bit the red light goes solid and stays on. But still it did not do the conversion. The trouble shooting guide for this particular NO CAL says, normal function, but ads as long as "percentage and ok" show, which they don't. I went ahead and plugged the new speedo into the consul to see if something happened, and the new speedo lit up beautifully, but with NO CAL or something I forget. But no odometer transfer. I'm wondering if I should ride it and go through that 31 mph countdown the document spells out.

I'm going back down to get a speed sensor. Apparently, it could be that issue if the signal lights don't cancel, for one sign. With the bike just leaning on the stand, it doesn't cancel. Somebody said I had to at least lean it or move the steering for it to cancel, which I haven't done. So, I'll check for cancellation leaning and turning the bike. With all the forums out there only about 4 of these issues are on the net, and none of those who had the problem explained how they solved it. These speedo combo's don't work if your replacing a broken one. They should explain this, as there is no refund for them. They seem to only work if you are upgrading. I need to get the odometer reading back, as I'm selling. Any ideas?

Old 09-08-2020, 06:06 PM
NJPoolman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you find a solution? As mine is doing the same thing.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,915 Likes on 816 Posts

My turn signal indicators both stay solid on my dash, even if I'm not using them but when u do use them they flash like normal... wld that have anything to do with anything lol?
Do you have a load equalizer installed (if you have a factory TSSM with alarm and/or ignition disabler, you need an alarm compatible one)? The LEDs draw a lot less current than regular bulbs, and it messes with the signalling system.

I have LED's all around on Reaper, with alarm compatible load equalizer, and the same speedo/tach combo (except mine has both mph and kph) works fine. I set the colours to blue to match the LED gas gauge I have installed.

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 09-08-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:56 PM
CrazyBones
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone figured out why we cannot get into setup mode? I have tried all the ways mentioned here on how to get into setup mode, however no matter what I do I end up in DIAG. This was an expensive part and there is no reason I shouldn't be able to setup the colors. everything else works, speedo, tach, mileage....no issues. I am at my wits end. Called the local dealership and they said "I don't know"....well thanks... I have also unplugged all LED lights, tuner, load balancer and anything else I could think of....no joy. If someone has a solution to this obviously common issue with this speedo, PLEASE help me out!!!!

Old 01-28-2021, 08:33 PM
jkrablin
Stage I

I have a 2003 Road King Classic EFI 100 year anniversary and was wanting to have a tachometer for my bike. I would like to have the combination speedo/tach but not sure it will work on my bike. Has anyone tried to install this on a 2003? I appreciate any info prior to me spending time and money on maybe a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Speedo/tach combo not working properly.