Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 heritage classic, where's the reviews fellas?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017 | 09:28 AM
- Elliott
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Prot
You could end up like me. Appreciate the new bikes for what they are knowing your older bike is a better fit for you.

In reality change is inevitable. If you don't believe that then how come you aren't outraged that Harley went to a v-twin instead of sticking with the single cylinder? BTW, for you twin cam folks, your engine isn't really vintage. It's predecessor was substantially different.

You ever see an ugly woman married to a decent looking guy? That guy might be able to get a prettier woman, but this other one is a better match.

Ride what makes you happy. It might be a 2018 or a 1918 model. Life's too short to not be happy.
You can't deny his logic and his supplied examples! I've seen this example first hand!

Old 09-17-2017 | 10:08 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer

I think that you will see after a month or more from now that you will see a demand for these new Softails that will far outstrip what everyone thought.......that is.....except for those that have one.

These new HD's will be a grand slam for the Motor Company.

Old 09-17-2017 | 12:21 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottt
Thanks for the review. I believe Harley has a Hammock seat for long hauls. I had one on my last bike and liked it.
I'll check it out. I usually like a lower profile firmer seat that is shaped right for me than the super cush pillow types, but if they get a hammock demo I'll try it. I like Corbin because they'll custom fit at their factory on Saturdays and I'm only 4 hours south. Makes a good day trip.

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
The bike only had about 100 miles on it. It's not that it lacked power, it's just that for the way I ride I'm not sure I need it $1300 worth. I didn't ride a passenger, but it felt smaller than my RK. When I think of touring I'm thinking of a 3 to 4 thousand mile trip loaded with camping gear. I could see myself doing Sturgis on this bike, just not with a passenger and gear.
Yeah, my guess probably 1/4 less carry capacity overall on the Heritage if you factor stock bags and frame.

Originally Posted by Prot
Here are a few specs

107" bore 3.937" stroke 4.374 compression 10:1 with 109 pound feet at 3,000 rpm

114". bore 4.016" stroke 4.5" compression 10.5:1 with 119 pound feet at 3,000 rpm

Twin cooled 117" (CVO Limited)

bore 4.075" stroke 4.5" compression 10.2:1 with 125 pound feet at 3,500 rpm

If you notice, the 114 and 117 have the same stroke and the difference in bore size isn't very much while the 114 has higher compression.
Interesting that the Stage 3 and 4 bikes are having more oil transfer issues which I'd heard was based on high revs and high compression, but actually numbers say it's lower compression...unless the stock CVO 117 has milder specs than the 114 stage 3 and 4 kits do? I'll have to look that up...

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
I do t know if it's an unintended consequence, but, drastically affecting motorcycles that the fan base has known and loved, is going to have emotions being expressed, both positive and negative. Maybe, in time, people who feel as I do, will realize the greatness of the new bikes and the changes. It's really hard, since the core of these bikes are almost unrecognizable. It seems they should have killed f the softail, too, and just started a new line of bikes called the monoshick series, or something.
The dealership is not too far, many be next time I go in, I'll ride one. I'd like to see how the new Heritage rides. See wha the hubbub is all about. Lol.
I agree. HD could have just dropped the "family" name or come up with a new one. Maybe next year.

If you test ride one, just make sure you get enough time on it to get a real impression. Get on and off a few times too. My first ride was 20 minutes and mostly I just thought "this thing does not feel like my Harley..."...had a 10 minute break and rode a Deluxe 107...this time was better...needed a little separation from my old bike to start to see the new one. Halfway through the ride sale guy and I swapped bikes...he hadn't ridden the Deluxe yet, and I wanted another crack at the Heritage....3rd time was the charm. That's when I could get a clean sense of what this new motor was instead of what I missed.

I went fully prepared to hate it, at first I felt right, but eventually it won me over. I wasn't planning to buy one...just wanted to see what the truth was and if there was a future Harley I'd ever care about. In the end I felt relieved that the guts were intact. Enough so that I jumped ship from my '16 RK...

Would I trade my EVO...nope. But I'm happy to have both.

Hope you find some personal peace with it. It really brightened my mood and outlook. The good news is we'll always have our older ones we love to ride. Plenty of them too. Certainly enough for our lifetime...

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-17-2017 at 12:24 PM.